The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Petterson in 3 years could get a $150Million Deal?!

Ryzen

57 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

This is the key. Next year teams will be cueing in on him, scouting him, would have played him before etc. If EP can still produce like he has been through next year then I think we can start having contract discussions. Until then this conversation is rather pointless. His production could very well decline in the second half of the season.

Look at Matthew Barzal. Last year he wins the Calder with 22G, and 85 points over the season. This year he has 4G in 31 games (27points). He is on pace for 10 goals! Tavares is gone so he is getting the opposing top pair D and defensive FWD line. IF Pettersson can perform in those conditions then the 10M/season conversation can start.

well unlike Barzal and him facing tougher minutes, EP is facing those tough minutes already. That being said, i expect him to be 80-90% as productive as this year, when the vaunted 'sophomore slump' hits. 

28 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Cap management is going to start to be a big part of the puzzle for management.  There are a lot of contracts to be negotiated over the next three years: Leivo, Virtanen, Motte, Boeser, Gaudette, Goldobin, Edler, Hutton, Tanev, Stecher and more that might be let go.  We currently sit with between 7 and 8 million in cap space and most of these guys will want, and some of them deserve, a raise.  Contracts like Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel start to be problems during this period.  With both Boeser and Pettersson being core players who make players around them better, it's going to be critical to keep some cap space for them.

Yes and no. Those 3 take up less than 15% of next year’s projected 82.5m cap. Who knows what it’ll be the year after that. 

Edler will likely be signed to a similar priced contract I should think. Maybe a little more, for lesser term. 

Leivo I don’t necessarily see as a long term player here but we’ll see. 

I see what you’re saying, but unless Benning gets drastically worked over on Boeser’s contract, we should be fine. 

I'm not too worried about cap problems at the moment. Cap Friendly has us at a projected 31.1M in cap space next season and that does not include the raise to possibily 83M upper limit giving us closer to 35M in cap space. Even if 1/5 of that goes to Brock. Granlund, Leivo, Goldobin, Motte, and Demko are not going to be eating up the remaining 27-28M themselves, realistically Hutton (if kept) is the only other player looking at a significant raise. Edler if kept likely wouldn't have much of (if any) raise. I even less likely see both of Hutton and Edler being kept but I could be wrong about that.

We even have room to add a high-calibre UFA if needed and not put too much of a dent into our cap situation. We should have no reason to worry about signing Brock or Elias.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd be curious what those other players' plus/minus was after 30 games?  Petey is a very strong D minded player too.  

Mcdavid after 45 games was -1
Malkin after 78 was +2
Crosby after 81 was +1

Pettersson after 30 is +11

What that says is up to interpretation. But I'm impressed

1 minute ago, Sandro17 said:

Mcdavid after 45 games was -1
Malkin after 78 was +2
Crosby after 81 was +1

Pettersson after 30 is +11

What that says is up to you. But I'm impressed

Petey does get a lot of ozone starts, but he's still a smart D side of the puck player.  

I think someone is really taking advantage of this new Legalization :lol::lol:.

Cap is not going to increase, there is 5 teams still under the cap floor. Wait until the new CBA comes through and there is a potential lockout. People really think some of the owners want to spend that much money to keep up with the increases? I really have a hard time believing they want to continue this trend but that's just my 2c

On 12/17/2018 at 1:55 AM, Ryzen said:

It's possible when in 3 years Elias Petterson is do for his contract it could be worth anywhere from $100Million-$150Million over 8 Years!

I personally believe he is the next Gretzky of the NHL... Give him a couple more years and beef up another 10pds and experience with more skilled players.

I'm calling it now... What do you think?

I highly doubt it. 

Let's assume he continues his pace -- gets 40 goals + 40 assists this season in ~70+ games. Then let's assume he's top 5 in scoring for the next 2 years in a row. He's still probably only getting Conor McDavid money, at around $12 million AAV. That puts him at approximately $100M over 8 years -- nowhere near $150M.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:55 PM, Ryzen said:

It's possible when in 3 years Elias Petterson is do for his contract it could be worth anywhere from $100Million-$150Million over 8 Years!

I personally believe he is the next Gretzky of the NHL... Give him a couple more years and beef up another 10pds and experience with more skilled players.

I'm calling it now... What do you think?

You're calling what now? EP making $150M for 8 years?:picard:, Or him becoming like Gretzky after the hockey world has already predicted that?

I really think that franchise players are overpaid.  

Generational is over-used. IMHO there are only a few generational players in recent memory:  Gretzky and Mario.  they scored close to double what anyone else was scoring - and that is what I would call generational.  Crosby is a franchise elite player - but he is no Mario.  imho he isn't generational.  This generation doesn't have an obvious player who takes over the game like those 2 did.  not all the time.  Maybe it was the concussions that hindered Crosby, I don't know.  but in any case Crosby isn't in the same league as Gretz or Mario.  McDavid isn't generational either.  In the middle of a pack of really awesome players - but these players aren't scoring 50 points more than the next group.  If Mario was playing now it would be obvious.

EP deserves a good contract, as a solid franchise elite player.  but he isn't generational.  Maybe he will turn into a player like that, but I am doubtful.  I guess that paying players at the top of their class is expected, so whatever - I assume he will get a ton of $.  I just hope it is reasonable and that he doesn't hurt the franchise by wanting too much.

Archived