The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

There are some viable options they could have signed such as kari lehtonen 

is he even playing anywhere? 

seriously all this angst over 1 game is a bit much. Maybe Jim wanted to see what he had in Mikey. Maybe its a stealth tank. Maybe he wants roster spots for TDL deals. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is he even playing anywhere? 

seriously all this angst over 1 game is a bit much. Maybe Jim wanted to see what he had in Mikey. Maybe its a stealth tank. Maybe he wants roster spots for TDL deals. 

Then why was Utica's GM Johnson saying a month ago that they've discussed it and that it's a priority to find a 3rd NHL goalie because of the risk of injury.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Then why was Utica's GM Johnson saying a month ago that they've discussed it and that it's a priority to find a 3rd NHL goalie because of the risk of injury.

so they gambled to try to not lose picks and/or assets and Mikey paid the price last night. From an "asset management" pov its not the worst decision. It can't continue tho, one game isn't a big deal but clearly they have to retool the thinking. 

Hold on everyone.  I'm going to reach out to CalgaryPuck, to see if they have any Kleenex leftover from the pallet I had shipped them after Saturday's game.  Seems lots of people here need some.

We got smacked by the injury bug again.  If we had Edler, Sutter, and Marky in last night, there's a good chance we still lose.  Sharks are (sadly) a good team.  Hell, just look at our record against the Sharks in recent years, as well as the standings.

Was it sad that the Sharks were Mikey's first opponent?  Sure.  Was there anything that could have been done about it yesterday after practice?  I strongly doubt it.  I'm curious how many Captain Hindsighters out there would have wanted Mikey up with the team instead of Bachman, had he been healthy.  Youth movement, morale, experience...

I never thought about it before, but when @Alf suggested earlier about starting Mikey again on Wednesday, it doesn't sound half bad.  Gives him a chance against an easier team, and the boys in front of him will hopefully be PO'd after pooping the bed last night, and come out and kill the Ducks.  I'll be at the game, more than happy to cheer him on to hopefully his first NHL win.

As difficult as it was to watch last night, it was hardly unexpected.  And, as far as making the playoffs go, I'm more worried about the points lost on the recent road-trip than last nights rout.  We got to see a beautiful EP setup, and MacEwen gets his first point in a fairly well played 1st game, especially when you consider the opponent.

Breathe, people!

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

Top four teams in the west are looking deadly. Conference semi-finals are gonna be some good hockey if it ends up being Sharks/Flames and Jets/Preds.

Nashville is not looking all that good - there's not enough past their 1st line.  They are not playing like contenders.  

57 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Umm. nope.  Guddy was acquired while Tryamkin was still on the team.

Regardless, I'd still trade McCann for Guddy.  

Yeah that's not true. Was during off season and they knew he wasn't coming back. So you would trade a top 9 possibly top 6 forward for a guy who isn't even an NHL defenceman? I mean sure if you like paying $4 million a year to have him face the wrong way and take lots of bad penalties.

27 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Yeah that's not true. Was during off season and they knew he wasn't coming back. So you would trade a top 9 possibly top 6 forward for a guy who isn't even an NHL defenceman? I mean sure if you like paying $4 million a year to have him face the wrong way and take lots of bad penalties.

Erik Gudbranson.  First year with the Canucks 2016-17.  Started the season, played 30 games, broke his wrist in December, ending his season.

Nikita Tryamkin.  Last year with the Canucks, 2016-17.  played 66 games.

Edit: And, to tackle the rest of the drivel you posted: a guy who isn't even an NHL defenseman?  You mean a player who had over 300 NHL games under his belt before the trade was even made?  And you hang a "possibly top 6" tag on a guy who is struggling to get 30 points in a season, on his third team in four years?

23 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Hold on everyone.  I'm going to reach out to CalgaryPuck, to see if they have any Kleenex leftover from the pallet I had shipped them after Saturday's game.  Seems lots of people here need some.

We got smacked by the injury bug again.  If we had Edler, Sutter, and Marky in last night, there's a good chance we still lose.  Sharks are (sadly) a good team.  Hell, just look at our record against the Sharks in recent years, as well as the standings.

Was it sad that the Sharks were Mikey's first opponent?  Sure.  Was there anything that could have been done about it yesterday after practice?  I strongly doubt it.  I'm curious how many Captain Hindsighters out there would have wanted Mikey up with the team instead of Bachman, had he been healthy.  Youth movement, morale, experience...

I never thought about it before, but when @Alf suggested earlier about starting Mikey again on Wednesday, it doesn't sound half bad.  Gives him a chance against an easier team, and the boys in front of him will hopefully be PO'd after pooping the bed last night, and come out and kill the Ducks.  I'll be at the game, more than happy to cheer him on to hopefully his first NHL win.

As difficult as it was to watch last night, it was hardly unexpected.  And, as far as making the playoffs go, I'm more worried about the points lost on the recent road-trip than last nights rout.  We got to see a beautiful EP setup, and MacEwen gets his first point in a fairly well played 1st game, especially when you consider the opponent.

Breathe, people!

one thing I was encouraged by was the Mikey clearly got more comfortable as the game wore on and, despite letting in more goals, he started making saves that we saw him make in the WJHC.  The kids a gamer, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him again when he can go through his gameday ritual and focus on the task at hand , as opposed to a short notice surprise start.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

one thing I was encouraged by was the Mikey clearly got more comfortable as the game wore on and, despite letting in more goals, he started making saves that we saw him make in the WJHC.  The kids a gamer, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him again when he can go through his gameday ritual and focus on the task at hand , as opposed to a short notice surprise start.

I agree.  Had he completely unraveled I'd be worried, but he didn't.  He made some good saves and I'm sure the team is helping guide him through this blowout loss.  Not his fault.  Happens. 

The mental preparedness is important and he likely was thrust into a situation he wasn't quite set up for success in.  Got it under his belt and despite it being a very negative experience, he's to be commended for standing in there in the line of fire like he did.

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Can't believe there is actually posters complaining about our GM... The one that drafted Pettersson??? 

I agree with you there.   It takes time for things to gel.  Can't really fault Benning when it comes with McKeena claimed by Philadelphia on waivers and they still have 3 goalie in the system.  I agree with the move that Demko need to be called up and start his NHL career and I felt that he belongs in the NHL. It is a risky move but I would do it all over again.   No way that Philadelphia would keep all 3 goalies.  He gave Nilsson a chance to play with new team as he wasn't cutting it with his play in NJ and we were screaming our head off.   I think we as a fan forgot that.  I think that most of the fans are ADD or a short term memory on what happened before New Years Eve game.

He knew that D were the thinnest spot.  Therefore, he gave D a chance and we get more gem out from this, Hutton's emerge into a top 4 D and if we didn't give him a shot this year, we'll never know his true worth.  Often the UFA D doesn't pan out because of different system that they were used to play from other teams and the most difficult to get used to unless you are an elite D. Hutton were trash last season and he knew it and worked over the summer to improve his play.   He also gave Pouliot over the summer a chance to prove himself and he didn't.  I think Benning's strategy is to get whatever left that is worth keeping and let them go and build up his D depth.  Benning already know that this is a rebuilding year and a D is harder to find even with free agent market.  Most teams would keep their own to a long term and very rarely a top pairing D would be let go by other teams.   He knew that D is the weakest spot coming in and an injury would severely test the D and it's happening again with Edler being out.   So we should keep Edler for the rest of the season and attempt to resign him to a short-term contract.  I am not even Edler's fan but we have no choice.   Unless we have 6 other D beating out Edler, we should be patience with our team building into a contender and it's a blessing that we are playing a meaningful game in February for the development of this team chemistry.  There will be changes in off-season but we now know who to keep and who to let go and search for some D depth.   We weren't expected to make the playoffs anyways from the start of the season.

What happened from last game's game is a personal growth for DiPietro and he now has a game experience of what's it's like to face NHL shooters compared to Junior and take back and work his game even further and it's only one game.    Even a junior goaltender faced NHL shooters in training camp every year and it doesn't seem to hurt their confidence in term of their development and a game in a regular season is a beast than a training camp and he would gain a lot from it than a training camp.

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I agree.  Had he completely unraveled I'd be worried, but he didn't.  He made some good saves and I'm sure the team is helping guide him through this blowout loss.  Not his fault.  Happens. 

The mental preparedness is important and he likely was thrust into a situation he wasn't quite set up for success in.  Got it under his belt and despite it being a very negative experience, he's to be commended for standing in there in the line of fire like he did.

One thing I thought of after the third or fourth Sharks goal, and after wondering why he wasn't pulled (I wasn't up on why Marky wasn't playing at the time), was perhaps keeping him in there was a good educational experience.  If he lets in a lot of goals, he gets more opportunity to see what parts of his game need more work, and perhaps learn who to compensate for to deal with his smaller size.

It was sad to have such a blowout on his first game, but it's not the end of his world, I'm sure.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

One thing I thought of after the third or fourth Sharks goal, and after wondering why he wasn't pulled (I wasn't up on why Marky wasn't playing at the time), was perhaps keeping him in there was a good educational experience.  If he lets in a lot of goals, he gets more opportunity to see what parts of his game need more work, and perhaps learn who to compensate for to deal with his smaller size.

It was sad to have such a blowout on his first game, but it's not the end of his world, I'm sure.

His smaller size was a big issue last night.  How does he get taller?  Clearly we put a kid into a situation that was horrible for his development.  And we did it to save a 2020 7th round pick.  Is Dipietro’s future not worth a 2020 7th rounder?  

I defend our team, coaches, and management (mostly) all the time.  In this case JB screwed up badly.  I really believe Dipietro is done.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His smaller size was a big issue last night.  How does he get taller?  Clearly we put a kid into a situation that was horrible for his development.  And we did it to save a 2020 7th round pick.  Is Dipietro’s future not worth a 2020 7th rounder?  

I defend our team, coaches, and management (mostly) all the time.  In this case JB screwed up badly.  I really believe Dipietro is done.  

I don't. The kid will be fine.

I'm sure he's been shelled before and it didn't ruin his development. I believe he'll use this experience as fuel and come back stronger and hungrier than ever.

He knows his d let him down a few times and I'm sure he'd like a couple a re-do's, but the reality is it was one game. One game isn't going to ruin a kid, no way. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

My buddy and I were talking about this at the game last night. Compared to the guys the Canucks have had in net over the past 10 seasons, it looked odd to see someone that small in net. The Sharks were going high on all their shots, but, the reality is, he's still a junior goaltender that hasn't played a game of pro hockey. Let him finish his junior career, get two or three years in the minors, and then lets see what the Canucks have. That game was over in the first 10 minutes, and I was surprised the Canucks as a team didn't do more to get the kid through that one. He'll forget that experience pretty fast though.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He doesn't get taller, but he can learn to play bigger, have better positioning and movement, better reactions, and preparation.

How is it clear that it was horrible for his development?  It's one game.  It might have hurt his development... I can't rule out the possibility.  But, it might make him better prepared for when he gets his next chance.  The only thing that was clear to me is that he's not NHL ready (no one expected him to be) and the team should have played better in front of him.

IMO, this "mistake" by JB is far from a big deal.

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I don’t think he played terrible, they all played a loose game last night. I was more referencing the fact that Guddy tried to initiate something with Kane and he just smirked and walked away. A lot of teams are now doing that to him now. Just not engaging with him. Making him skate and chase the puck, when Guddy gets skating and chasing he gets a bit lost. If he could just stay around the crease and have a smaller area to focus on I think we’d see the Guddy of old. Hughes has the mobility to act as rover to do the chasing. Pouliot is mobile, I see your point there, but his brain farts, and bad passing in the dzone don’t make me confident in them as a pair...I don’t have an answer, just riffing on things lol.

aside from the first 12 mins, I thought they played pretty tight.  They kept the Sharks to under 15 shots in the last 48 mins of the game, and outshot them overall.........that's a pretty solid stat against one of the powerhouse teams of the league, especially after giving up 44 to the Flames on Saturday.

Archived