The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Card Thread

Roberts

Trading Card Thread Info:

Welcome to the non-official Trading Card Thread! This is a place to discuss everything about trading cards, as well as post pictures and tell stories about experiences you've had with trading cards. Feel free to discuss any types of trading cards you like such as Hockey cards, Baseball cards, or even non-sports related trading cards. If you just want to show off a great card you just pulled you can do that too! I am very interested in seeing what you all have.

My Card Collection:

Connor McDavid Upper Deck 2015-16 Young Guns Rookie Card (BGS 9.5)

I pulled this card in an Upper Deck 2015-16 Series 1 Hobby Box a couple years ago. I sent it in to be graded by Beckett and it got a 9.5 Gem Mint grading which is fantastic! The surface got a 10 which I heard is very rare and hard to get.

20190416_171640_HDR.thumb.jpg.4c99e83863f5d9c2a048d71680e6f0c5.jpg   20190416_181842_HDR.thumb.jpg.fc8e6ce6686f003f342ecb3e35119ba8.jpg

Mikko Rantanen Upper Deck 2015-16 Young Guns Rookie Card (UD Exclusives 002/100)

I pulled this card in an Upper Deck 2015-16 Series 1 Hobby Box a couple years ago. This is a rare card because of it being a UD Exclusives card numbered out of 100. I sent it in to be graded by Beckett and it got a 9 Mint which is great! When I first unboxed this card I had it put in a binder with my other young guns cards, but as soon as I realized it's true value, I put it in a plastic sleeve and a hard plastic toploader, then got it graded by Beckett.

20190416_182555_HDR.thumb.jpg.ad497a8e058566ed6251d53b275a6a58.jpg   20190416_180802_HDR.thumb.jpg.8123cea3405301e1c62f8c84860b7c2b.jpg

Elias Pettersson Upper Deck 2018-19 Young Guns Rookie Card

I pulled this card in an Upper Deck 2018-19 series 1 hockey tin. I don't think I have to explain why this is one of my favourite cards :). I will probably get this card graded by Beckett eventually, but for now it's safe in a plastic sleeve and a hard plastic toploader.

20190228_132930_HDR.thumb.jpg.83fa527e675e6a9665ceb53d67f82211.jpg Backside photo to be posted.

Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card (KSA 7)

I did not pull this card, nor did I have it graded myself, I was given this as a gift years ago. This is probably considered the hockey card of all hockey cards. I heard one of these graded PSA 10 went for nearly $500,000 :blink:

20190228_134230_HDR.thumb.jpg.610ff7939a5d20d53b61a98003814298.jpg Backside photo to be posted.

Other Info:

More pictures are coming soon. I will have some updated photos of these cards, as well as pictures from the backsides of these cards too. I will also find some other cards in my collection worth posting here.

Edited by Roberts
  • Upvote 2

I had probably near 1000 hockey cards back when I used to buy them as a kid. Probably still have most of them and about 70% of them are from the early 90s, haha. Helped me learn about a lot of players that were before my time.

Also Pokemon cards, but alas, most of those don't have much value, but I certainly loved collecting them.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have around 5,000 cards from the late 70s, the 80s and 90s. Have a bunch from the 2000s as well, but it's the older ones that I appreciate the most. I remember collecting these as a kid. Kept them all in my old hockey skate box, which was put into my Mom's storage place. She gave them back to me many years ago and it was like discovering a buried treasure. 4 Messier rookie cards, 4 Bourque rookie cards, 3 Coffey rookies, a Gretzky rookie, etc. I have them all safe in plastic sleeves and card boxes. Don't think I'll, ever sell, they're from my childhood and I plan on passing them down to my grandson one day. He's 8 and plays hockey. Damn I'm old lol

great story! that really does sound like discovering buried treasure for sure. do you have any pictures?

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have around 5,000 cards from the late 70s, the 80s and 90s. Have a bunch from the 2000s as well, but it's the older ones that I appreciate the most. I remember collecting these as a kid. Kept them all in my old hockey skate box, which was put into my Mom's storage place. She gave them back to me many years ago and it was like discovering a buried treasure. 4 Messier rookie cards, 4 Bourque rookie cards, 3 Coffey rookies, a Gretzky rookie, etc. I have them all safe in plastic sleeves and card boxes. Don't think I'll, ever sell, they're from my childhood and I plan on passing them down to my grandson one day. He's 8 and plays hockey. Damn I'm old lol

Good plan.  I ended up with a half dozen large boxes of hockey cards, enough to make up a lot of the 94 team which a few years back I sorted and sent to my siblings who are also Canuck nuts.   Mostly 85-95 with pretty much any rookie from that time period.  Lidstrom, Sellane, Bure rookies etc.   Sitting in my closet collecting dust..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good plan.  I ended up with a half dozen large boxes of hockey cards, enough to make up a lot of the 94 team which a few years back I sorted and sent to my siblings who are also Canuck nuts.   Mostly 85-95 with pretty much any rookie from that time period.  Lidstrom, Sellane, Bure rookies etc.   Sitting in my closet collecting dust..

I bet a Canucks 94 team set of cards would be worth a decent amount of money.

Edited by Roberts

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's exactly my/our story.  Mine are mostly from the late 80's onward...my brother was a collector who went to trading shows, etc.  He got me going, then I started buying memorabilia for my son...all pristine, kept tucked safely away for him.  Used to think he might want to start a sports collectibles business one day....we have that much.  Suitcases full, some not even opened....cards, the trophy sets from McD's, Shell promotional coins and medallions, Olympic sets, etc.  Just every single thing hockey from about '89 onward...I got it for him.   Every Christmas he'd get a signature series tin...it became a tradition.  Haha, he laughed at me this Christmas...when the kids come over I still have a stocking for them...stuffed his with...you guessed it, hockey cards!   "You're never too old" for them stuff.

Oh, another tradition was always the Beckett Trading Guide.  Always.

I sometimes drag a case out and sit on the floor, going through it.  I can get lost in it...memories flood back and, like you, I don't think I could ever part with it.  My son has left it here, as he lives in a teeny apartment.  I'm glad we've saved it...just means the world to me.   Will share some of it later...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Where can you go locally (Lower Mainland/Okanagan) to get any 'older' cards accessed for their value?  Is there a book that tells of their value, similar to coins, etc?

I am new at this but found couple of shoeboxes of older hockey and baseball cards and wondering if they have any value other than to put in the spokes of your bike.

17 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Where can you go locally (Lower Mainland/Okanagan) to get any 'older' cards accessed for their value?  Is there a book that tells of their value, similar to coins, etc?

I am new at this but found couple of shoeboxes of older hockey and baseball cards and wondering if they have any value other than to put in the spokes of your bike.

You'll need to pick up a beckett magazine, they have the costs of cards. If they're older, theres like a thick tome you might want to get to be sure it'll have the cards you have listed. You can also go for beckett online which you type in cards and it will value them for you, all prices will be US currency.

• Upvote 1

These aren't the greatest quality photos, but here are my best Canucks-related rookie cards.

L-R: Daniel Sedin, Markus Naslund, Thomas Gradin. Petr Nedved, Alexander Mogilny, Stan Smyl, Jyrki Lumme, Igor Larionov, Marc Crawford, Mike Gillis and Jim Benning.

image.thumb.png.ac9cf915e5e29c6f72ccefcff035f5af.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

when i joined the navy in 1957, my box of hockey and baseball cards got chucked. i had mickey mantle and gordie howe rookie cards plus many more. breaks my heart that we didn’t have the fore sight back then to know what they might become today. out in my shed, my son has a collection of canuck cards going back to 1970. i think he had them all, from 70’s to 80’s.  

That's amazing that you once had those cards, but really unfortunate they were lost. Great that your son has some old Canucks cards. Be interesting who he has. I ruined a lot of pretty good cards in the late 70s by putting them in my bike spokes lol Made a cool sound I suppose.  

• Upvote 2

I used to co- own a sports card store back in the late 80's more of a hobby than a business I suppose. . I have sold off most of my collection but have kept a lot of my favorite cards.  Autographs....rookie cards etc.  The Trevor LInden card is from a promo  set that Todd McFarlane made when he was thinking about putting out NHL cards at the time.

5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1