The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] When did the Canucks Truly Start Rebuilding?

Warhippy

[Discussion] When did the Canucks Truly Start Rebuilding?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The deals for Hansen/Burrows in expectation of the Sedin retirement. So Spring 2017. That was when Benning was allowed to start the rebuild.

That means we are in year 2 of a rebuild. The model rebuild (Winnipeg) took 6 years to become a competent NHL team. 8 years to be where they are now.

The fact that people want Benning fired when the rebuild has just begun shows how little patience this fanbase has. Maybe Aqua was right that the market couldn't handle it?

11 minutes ago, mephnick said:

The fact that people want Benning fired when the rebuild has just begun shows how little patience this fanbase has. Maybe Aqua was right that the market couldn't handle it?

Many people were clamoring for a rebuild much sooner.

55 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the goaltending mess started before torts was hired

torts simply put the icing on the cake

and finalized the luongo leaving thing

but torts was not the whole story. .just the final chapter

Well, it was a mess before, but I think the Luongo/Schneider rivalry was a healthy one and an embarrassment of the riches.  The decision to keep Luongo instead of Schneider wasn't plan "A", but in the end it was the best way to make the team better in the long run and get more value in return.  

Once that decision was made, despite having slowed down a bit, Luongo was still our #1 by a mile.  When Torts got here, that's when we tossed any "respect" out the window, which culminated to the outdoor classic.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Nowhere did I say or insinuate it wasn't a gong show. Doesn't mean it also wasn't a rebuilding move (not sure what else you call moving a young goalie entering his primes for a 9th OA pick).

A rebuilding move that was a big part of why Gillis was fired.  Yes, Gillis knew the core was stale, and he needed to rebuild. However, he got fired for that belief.  

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

For me, it really officially starts at the Sedins' retirement.

Remember when the crowd was chanting "one more year!". If this were true, then I guess the fans at the game wanted to delay the rebuild?

With that said, I think by the Sedins' final season, they were already pushed down to about 3rd line minutes (still top PP minutes). The rebuild had already begun IMO and the Sedins were gracious enough to see Boeser and Bo ready to take the brunt of the offense before choosing to end their time (if they weren't ready, I have a suspicion that the Sedins would've continued year by year until we were ready). Of course the new era could not truly begin until they did retire, but the pieces had already started to come into place. It's hard to pinpoint the exact moment that a "rebuild" began though.

With that said, there seems to be many differing opinions on what a rebuild actually entails. And some seem to think there is only one way to rebuild and if it's not that, then it's wrong.

34 minutes ago, Pears said:

Why would we do that to the two greatest players this team has ever seen? They weren’t going to accept a trade regardless. 

You don't have to trade the Sedins to do a full rebuild.

In fact they would be the best type of people to keep around during a rebuild.

If the organization was designing their overall plan to appease two players that were closer to retirement than their primes, something is seriously wrong.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

You don't have to trade the Sedins to do a full rebuild.

In fact they would be the best type of people to keep around during a rebuild.

If the organization was designing their overall plan to appease two players that were closer to retirement than their primes, something is seriously wrong.

Again, the Sedins weren’t going to accept a trade and a true rebuild wasn’t gonna happen while they were still playing. It’s really not hard to understand. 

36 minutes ago, Pears said:

Again, the Sedins weren’t going to accept a trade and a true rebuild wasn’t gonna happen while they were still playing. It’s really not hard to understand. 

I never said anything about trading them.

All I'm saying is that it was very much literally possible to rebuild around them instead of retool for them. Management just chose not to do it.

A rose, by any other name...(as ol'Shakes wrote)

It doesn't really matter how we define or pinpoint it's genesis. As usual, there were many conflicting variables:

- NTC's from MG regime

- Playing w/integrity & effort, honouring dedication of twins

- Trying to keep within cap-parameters

- Desire of new Mgt to make some kind of mark

- Intensity of new coaches. Who deal with an earlier(best-before) date

- Appeasing fans in Cdn market. This ain't exactly sunbelt disinterest/oblivion

- Trying to keep butts in seats; simultaneously aware that youth sells

Lot of balls to juggle..I'd say they did pretty well(mostly thanks to drafting, from 2014 onwards).

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay so it's a rebuild because Hank and Danny turned 37, got old and couldn't produce as much anymore?   Like our defense rebuilding strategy..eventually Edler will be so old and unproductive that he will be passed on the depth chart by a young player = defense rebuild 

Or I'm saying that over these last three seasons, the top three scorers have shifted from the Sedins and Horvat to Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson. You're free to think the rebuild isn't being handled properly but saying a rebuild isn't happening, when the Sedins have been replaced by players aged 23 and under who you can build a core around, is just nonsensical. 

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

2014 - What did people think they meant by "transition to a younger team"? 

2017 - Linden actual used the word "rebuild" to make it clear for those too stupid to figure out the 2014 statement.

2019...people still arguing about what they meant by it

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I really don't understand asking "what has changed?" I think that's pretty evident:

2017.thumb.png.48fad440d88f7452ca227f19f4d2bef3.png

2018.thumb.png.85f4ebe18fe4edde23721f23dd3665b7.png

2019.thumb.png.4450e021e4c82fd65a489d74897d7ff4.png

If two players determine it:

14/15 Edler/Tanev

15/16 Edler/Tanev

16/17 Edler/Tanev

17/18 Edler/Tanev

18/19 Edler/Tanev

The rebuild hasn't even started yet!!! :frantic:

45 minutes ago, Baggins said:

2014 - What did people think they meant by "transition to a younger team"? 

2017 - Linden actual used the word "rebuild" to make it clear for those too stupid to figure out the 2014 statement.

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

2019...people still arguing about what they meant by it

Except the way they were "rebuilding" at the start in 2014 is different than the way they are rebuilding now.

One could argue what they were doing from 2014 to that Burrows/Hansen deadline wasn't even a rebuild, and more just a desperate attempt to squeeze out whatever little "success" the old core still had left.

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Except the way they were "rebuilding" at the start in 2014 is different than the way they are rebuilding now.

Are the circumstances surrounding the team in 2014 the same as they are now...?

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Are the circumstances surrounding the team in 2014 the same as they are now...?

The same rebuild philosophy that is being used now could have been used then. They just decided not to for whatever (bad, IMO) reason. I can list the possible reasons, if you'd like, though none paint this management team in the best light.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

A natural transition is happening, yes.  It's like saying Tampa Bay is rebuilding because Point now out produces Stamkos, every team has young players coming up pushing the older vets to the side.

We got lucky with Brock at 23 and Bo was a Gillis move.  I just don't understand how we expect to get ahead, doing the opposite of what other teams in transition are doing

That sounds like management before they admitted a rebuild was happening and were trying to use a bunch of different synonyms to avoid saying the word. 

Without doing a complete teardown-rebuild, the Canucks have Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat; three players you can build a new core around. Pettersson turning out to be the same level of player that Toronto and Buffalo blew it all up for is a stroke of luck and means that a stage of the rebuild is done. Now management can focus on building the defense, developing the kids and getting them complimentary players to help take them to the next level. 

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

The same rebuild philosophy that is being used now could have been used then. They just decided not to for whatever (bad, IMO) reason. I can list the possible reasons, if you'd like, though none paint this management team in the best light.

Their 'philosophy' or 'plan' hasn't changed, circumstances have. Circumstances which are reflected in the evolution of moves made.

Archived