The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Rafferty takes Stecher’s place?

Tree takes Tanev’s place?

Rathbone has passed OJ already? 

Yes, yes and no. In a perfect world we could fit Tanev. Age and durability along with his last chance to cash in big money probably means we should stay away. We have to make some cap savings so Rafferty and Tryamkin replacing Stetcher and Tanev probably saves you around 4 million in cap space.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yes, yes and no. In a perfect world we could fit Tanev. Age and durability along with his last chance to cash in big money probably means we should stay away. We have to make some cap savings so Rafferty and Tryamkin replacing Stetcher and Tanev probably saves you around 4 million in cap space.

Demko replaces Marky? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Demko replaces Marky? 

Tough call. Really depends how much Markstrom is asking for. I thought before the season started our goalies would be hand in hand where I’d be happy with either one going forward but Markstrom has been very impressive. If we could trade some bottom 6 guys out that are making too much that’d be ideal. However in the off-season nobody wants to trade for those guys when they can just sign comparable players in free agency. Benning has some work to do because you want to keep both Toffoli and Pearson. Those guys could command 5-5.5+ with term.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rafferty and Lind are already better than some of our current players.  They will both be on the big club next year...

Why do you say that?

Reid Boucher is elite at scoring in the AHL but cannot even get a 4th line gig in the NHL.

So why do you say Rafferty and Lind are already better than actual NHL players.

I have hope in both those players, but just don't get how you can say that quite yet.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Why do you say that?

Reid Boucher is elite at scoring in the AHL but cannot even get a 4th line gig in the NHL.

So why do you say Rafferty and Lind are already better than actual NHL players.

I have hope in both those players, but just don't get how you can say that quite yet.

Rafferty has elite skating and vision.  Two things most of our defenders don't have.  If you watch him play he plays an NHL game and sees the ice just like Quinn.  He should already be in the NHL.  Most likely he will replace Stecher next year at 1/4 the cap hit.

As for Lind, he is an Alex Burrows type of player who can score goals, get into player's faces and plays a 200' game.  He's a perfect compliment to Gaudette.  He's having a great season for a 21 year old and he should easily take the next step.  He's not a soft player.  He will make a good 3rd line winger who can move into the top 6 when needed.  I'd say he plays a better game than Virtanen but without the speed.  I'd play them both with Gaudette and move Virtanen over to the left wing where he likes to score his goals.

Reid Boucher does not have an NHL game.  Although I would have certainly brought him up this year as he is having an amazing year in Utica.  But his defensive game is lacking.  Lind has a very good 200' game.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rafferty has elite skating and vision.  Two things most of our defenders don't have.  If you watch him play he plays an NHL game and sees the ice just like Quinn.  He should already be in the NHL.  Most likely he will replace Stecher next year at 1/4 the cap hit.

As for Lind, he is an Alex Burrows type of player who can score goals, get into player's faces and plays a 200' game.  He's a perfect compliment to Gaudette.  He's having a great season for a 21 year old and he should easily take the next step.  He's not a soft player.  He will make a good 3rd line winger who can move into the top 6 when needed.  I'd say he plays a better game than Virtanen but without the speed.  I'd play them both with Gaudette and move Virtanen over to the left wing where he likes to score his goals.

Reid Boucher does not have an NHL game.  Although I would have certainly brought him up this year as he is having an amazing year in Utica.  But his defensive game is lacking.  Lind has a very good 200' game.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have not watched either enough to have much of an opinion.

I am already "high" on our team and hearing this makes me even more excited for the next few years.  I just hope JB does not get canned before the real strong years start (in a year or three).  JB has lots of decisions and moves to make this summer to clear out older players and players with cap while opening a few spots for younger guys like Rafferty and Lind. What a great spot to be in.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have not watched either enough to have much of an opinion.

I am already "high" on our team and hearing this makes me even more excited for the next few years.  I just hope JB does not get canned before the real strong years start (in a year or three).  JB has lots of decisions and moves to make this summer to clear out older players and players with cap while opening a few spots for younger guys like Rafferty and Lind. What a great spot to be in.

Just wait until Rathbone arrives.  He skates and reads the ice like Quinn.  Imagine a Quinn clone.  That should get you more excited than either Rafferty or Lind.  And in case you've never watched Tryamkin play, he hits like Zadorov and skates like Parayko.  Only thing is he's bigger than both of them.  Guys have gotten injured simply running into him.  One time he injured a guy with his arm.  This was when he was playing with the Canucks.  A Rathbone  Tryamkin partnership could be dynamic...

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Just wait until Rathbone arrives.  He skates and reads the ice like Quinn.  Imagine a Quinn clone.  That should get you more excited than either Rafferty or Lind.  And in case you've never watched Tryamkin play, he hits like Zadorov and skates like Parayko.  Only thing is he's bigger than both of them.  Guys have gotten injured simply running into him.  One time he injured a guy with his arm.  This was when he was playing with the Canucks.  A Rathbone  Tryamkin partnership could be dynamic...

The Rathbone talk also gives me a lot of hope for our defense.

I watched every NHL game with Tryamkin when he was with us but none of his KHL games. I do know a bit about his game and see how his size could be a factor. I do think some of his fans push things a bit far saying he will be our saviour. But he would make a great 3rd pairing guy at a minimum.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Rafferty with the dangles in tight to win it in OT.

The D man on that play is former Canuck prospect Gustav Forsling who is having a pretty good AHL season himself.  Not good on that play though.  

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rafferty and Lind are already better than some of our current players.  They will both be on the big club next year...

I get Rafferty making the team if we lose a D in expansion or can’t sign Tanev or Fantenburg or Stetcher, move Benn - leaving us Edler (unless we don’t protect him and lose him to expansion) - there will likely be space on D for Tryamkin and Rafferty - maybe even Rathbone. But Lind has quite a lineup to crack if we re-sign Toffoli. Then we’d have Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, Leivo, and perhaps MacEwen for RW; Miller, Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter and Beagle for C; Pettersson, Pearson, Roussel, Motte, Eriksson, and Ferland for LW. If that is true we may lose an F to expansion, but not necessarily, The F spots seem filled except in case of injury. 

Or maybe Benning signs Toffoli and trades a RW - Boeser could bring a good return in trade for a decent D, though I would hate to lose him - especially since we have a potential stud coming the next year in a Podkolzin.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I get Rafferty making the team if we lose a D in expansion or can’t sign Tanev or Fantenburg or Stetcher, move Benn - leaving us Edler (unless we don’t protect him and lose him to expansion) - there will likely be space on D for Tryamkin and Rafferty - maybe even Rathbone. But Lind has quite a lineup to crack if we re-sign Toffoli. Then we’d have Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, Leivo, and perhaps MacEwen for RW; Miller, Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter and Beagle for C; Pettersson, Pearson, Roussel, Motte, Eriksson, and Ferland for LW. If that is true we may lose an F to expansion, but not necessarily, The F spots seem filled except in case of injury. 

Or maybe Benning signs Toffoli and trades a RW - Boeser could bring a good return in trade for a decent D, though I would hate to lose him - especially since we have a potential stud coming the next year in a Podkolzin.

This is the mess we live with....lol

It is called the "what if's"

Can't wait to see what happens......unless, it doesn't happen like that at all!

:picard:

54 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Leivo is a UFA.  He isn't coming back.  Loui is going to retire, that's why he was never sent to Utica.  Ferland will most likely end up on LTIR at some point, maybe in training camp.  Sutter is useless, he will either be a 13th forward or can be traded for a pick.  Same with Roussel.  Rouseel had one good game out of the last 15.  He doesn't play physical anymore.  As for Boeser, that is a tough call.  If we re-sign Toffoli then he could be used as trade bait for a top 4 Dman.  A guy who can replace Tanev in the top 4. 

If all that happens then Lind could get a spot on the big club either in the 3rd RW spot or the 4th.  Virtanen could switch over to left wing.  We will see.  But make no mistake, Kole Lind is going to be an NHL player...

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tough call. Really depends how much Markstrom is asking for. I thought before the season started our goalies would be hand in hand where I’d be happy with either one going forward but Markstrom has been very impressive. If we could trade some bottom 6 guys out that are making too much that’d be ideal. However in the off-season nobody wants to trade for those guys when they can just sign comparable players in free agency. Benning has some work to do because you want to keep both Toffoli and Pearson. Those guys could command 5-5.5+ with term.

Not that hard. Trade Roussel and buyout or retain on Baer and you've already cleared almost $5m.

Cap's probably going up $2-$3m.

Move Benn and replace him with an ELC and your save another $1m + etc, etc..

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

This will be what posts will look like all summer. Happens every summer. Where will everyone fit. And every year someone forces their way on to the team even if they goto Utica for a couple weeks at the start of the year. They come back and play because they deserve to be there. Sometimes there’s the technical things that happen like waivers but it literally figured out everytime. If Lind and Raff are NHL ready they’ll be on the team. 

Also expansion happens 2021 not this year 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Would you say that outside podz that Rathbone is our best prospect now?