The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Likely to push for Gardiner on July 1st

buddyguy

I wouldn't mind seeing us go after some older players on one-year, high pay contracts that would give us the option to flip at the deadline if we are out of the playoffs. We have the cap space short term and should avoid long term contracts. Bouwmeester, Hainsey, Methot for 1 year, roughly 4-5 million bones is what we should be looking to do. 

54 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing us go after some older players on one-year, high pay contracts that would give us the option to flip at the deadline if we are out of the playoffs. We have the cap space short term and should avoid long term contracts. Bouwmeester, Hainsey, Methot for 1 year, roughly 4-5 million bones is what we should be looking to do. 

good ideas imo - older stabilizing support veterans on shorter term deals imo is a better option than chasing big fish.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

good ideas imo - older stabilizing support veterans on shorter term deals imo is a better option than chasing big fish.

I did not realize the Tuch was only 22 yrs old.. if his points curve continuous he will be a bigger force than what he is now..

RFA this season.. 

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I did not realize the Tuch was only 22 yrs old.. if his points curve continuous he will be a bigger force than what he is now..

RFA this season.. 

He signed a 7 year deal with Vegas - and regardless, 22 yr old RFAs are not really free agents in the sense of the UFA discussion.

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Bouwmeester just resigned I believe.

40 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He signed a 7 year deal with Vegas - and regardless, 22 yr old RFAs are not really free agents in the sense of the UFA discussion.

I didn’t see that he signed with Vegas for 7.. my oversight, thanks.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I didn’t see that he signed with Vegas for 7.. my oversight, thanks.

A 22 yr old 6'4, 220+lb mobile 20 goal scorer would be nice though - I'd certainly be happy to have Tuch - but at the same time, Tuch had 15 goals last year (with 55% ozone starts, and a fair amount of powerplay ice time)...which was Virtanen's total this season.....(with less opportune minutes).    Virtanen has gone 10/15 in shutdown minutes,  Tuch has gone 15, 20 this year playing with Pacioretty (40 pts in 66 games) and Stastny (42 pts in 50 games).  Goal scoring-wise,  in context, there might not be relatively much difference at this stage - and perhaps we tend to sell Virtanen a bit short - and prematurely (hopefully he hits 20 next year).   Tuch himself was dealt by the Wild for a 3rd round pick as incentive for Vegas to take Haula in the ED...maybe they undersold as well?

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

?

Those are your words - that are an odd assumption - one extreme counterpoint to another.

If someone thinks they (Vegas) were extremely/overly fortunate with the expansion terms - it doesn't follow that they should be sentenced to a decade or irrelevence.

Sorry it came off as if you favoured how expansion was done before..which was objectively terrible for new markets.

The terms weren't overly favourable. Vegas was made stronger by teams making stupid decisions. That doesn't mean the terms were too favourable. Understand?

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

A 22 yr old 6'4, 220+lb mobile 20 goal scorer would be nice though - I'd certainly be happy to have Tuch - but at the same time, Tuch had 15 goals last year (with 55% ozone starts, and a fair amount of powerplay ice time)...which was Virtanen's total this season.....(with less opportune minutes).    Virtanen has gone 10/15 in shutdown minutes,  Tuch has gone 15, 20 this year playing with Pacioretty (40 pts in 66 games) and Stastny (42 pts in 50 games).  Goal scoring-wise,  in context, there might not be relatively much difference at this stage - and perhaps we tend to sell Virtanen a bit short - and prematurely (hopefully he hits 20 next year).   Tuch himself was dealt by the Wild for a 3rd round pick as incentive for Vegas to take Haula in the ED...maybe they undersold as well?

I do like Jake, he is on that long strong curve up that most good power forwards take.. his strengths being his speed and his shot..

it would be nice to have 2 like that.

Tuch stood out the other night..  without looking at his stats too much previously, I never realized he was only 22.

Thanks for that bit of trade history,.  Yes, it seems Minny May have oversold.. Tuch could be a great part of Vega’s future.

That damn expansion draft,.  seems like extortion ..  just the threat of taking a certain player, when you might be bluffing..

is that how it actually lays out?

5 hours ago, mephnick said:

Sorry it came off as if you favoured how expansion was done before..which was objectively terrible for new markets.

The terms weren't overly favourable. Vegas was made stronger by teams making stupid decisions. That doesn't mean the terms were too favourable. Understand?

The terms were very favorable imo - they swung the pendulum too far to the other side.  Teams didn't have to make 'stupid decisions' - many were compelled to expose very good players, and looked to contrive ways to pay Vegas to steer them to alternative picks - or take particular contracts - but that's a result of being between a rock and a hard place.  Vegas had a great deal of leverage.

I'd agree that the terms were terrible in the past, but they got it 'wrong' again going too far - or perhaps that was their intention. 

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

The terms were very favorable imo - they swung the pendulum too far to the other side.  Teams didn't have to make 'stupid decisions' - many were compelled to expose very good players, and looked to contrive ways to pay Vegas to steer them to alternative picks - or take particular contracts - but that's a result of being between a rock and a hard place.  Vegas had a great deal of leverage.

I'd agree that the terms were terrible in the past, but they got it 'wrong' again going too far - or perhaps that was their intention. 

Sure let's them charge a pretty penny for an expansion team.

And good teams are good for the league ('fair' or otherwise).

27 minutes ago, rekker said:

It depends on the contract. I'm not a big fan of the guy but then I look at him through my Leaf Hate goggles. I'm out on EK as I dont think he ages well. I would prefer Myers over all other UFA D. 

I'm certainly a bit more hesitant on EK now as well. He is a bigger need, but what he may command and if he can't stay healthy, then it becomes pointless. I still could care less about Myers though and think he's going to be overpaid for his value. As for Gardiner, if he takes like a 3 year deal, then sure, but I'm not really sure where he would fit unless Edler isn't coming back and even then Gardiner is certainly no replacement for Edler. So this would be precedent to move Hutton IMO, but even with this said I rather keep an opening for Juolevi to maybe get a look (perhaps that's for when the inevitable Edler injury comes though).

With all this said, I'm not too fond of the UFA market for dmen this year. My interest in Panarin has gone way up though. If it means adding Bobrovsky as well if they want to come as a package, then so be it and we may find a decent trade with Markstrom.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm certainly a bit more hesitant on EK now as well. He is a bigger need, but what he may command and if he can't stay healthy, then it becomes pointless. I still could care less about Myers though and think he's going to be overpaid for his value. As for Gardiner, if he takes like a 3 year deal, then sure, but I'm not really sure where he would fit unless Edler isn't coming back and even then Gardiner is certainly no replacement for Edler. So this would be precedent to move Hutton IMO, but even with this said I rather keep an opening for Juolevi to maybe get a look (perhaps that's for when the inevitable Edler injury comes though).

With all this said, I'm not too fond of the UFA market for dmen this year. My interest in Panarin has gone way up though. If it means adding Bobrovsky as well if they want to come as a package, then so be it and we may find a decent trade with Markstrom.

I agree fully on EK. Panarin is on the top of my wishlist and would be a great add. Myers would be my replacement for Tanev. Time to move on from him IMHO. 

5 hours ago, rekker said:

I agree fully on EK. Panarin is on the top of my wishlist and would be a great add. Myers would be my replacement for Tanev. Time to move on from him IMHO. 

I love Tanev, but he's just not in the lineup enough anymore, so I agree that we need to move on from him sooner than later. For me, it just comes down to what type of contract Myers will get. 

Archived