The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Likely to push for Gardiner on July 1st

buddyguy

The more I think about it the more I think signing Tryamkin makes so much more sense than any UFA or even trade. He doesn't cost you an asset and I wouldn't expect him to want term given he's already left once. Give him the money in bonuses to buy out his KHL contract and the lure of playing on Hughes pairing. Make it a 1 or 2 year show me contract 4 mill or so. If it doesn't work out all you have invested is money. He can walk at the end of it and Woo/Juolevi/2019 draft pick slide up heck maybe Brogan turns into something. If it does work out the upside is literally HUGE! Move Tanev and Hutton when Juolevi and Woo are ready to take their place. 

Edler Tanev 

Hughes Tryamkin

Hutton Stetcher

Schenn

Minors: Juolevi Woo

He better get in shape cuz he's gonna get minutes. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that article is hardly a case for signing him for big dollars and term. We don't need more help on suppressing shot attempts, we need defence that can move the puck out of our zone and contribute to scoring without being defensive liabilities. 

We do not need Gardiner for that, at all. All you have to do is look at his basic goal scoring numbers and actually watch him play. He's meh. Mashed potatoes without the gravy. He doesn't bring anything that Huges or Edler won't and he's not nearly good enough to block Juolevi's path to the NHL.

He also happens to be a giveaway machine. 

And he's been doing this on a dynamic high scoring team. No one would think Gardiner is the reason the Leafs have good possession numbers or can score. 

We don't need to overpay for a guy who turns 29 next year, we'll get his declining years for so-so impact. I hope this is all media driven BS, this is the last guy we need on this team. 

Yea well I think he’s a better player then your giving him credit for because he does make some mistakes that look visually awful.

Im not saying I’m advocating for his signing but I do think he’s a better player then Hutton, And a better UFA option then Myers.

I do also think a healthy Tanev would be an ideal partner for Gardiner too. 

Juolevi wont be blocked immediately as he’s going to doubtfully be ready for nhl next season.

And maybe they are thinking we’d lose Gardiner to Seattle I don’t know. 

I totally understand where you are coming from though Because he does turnover the puck lots and I don’t want to overpay for any free agent anyways. Karlsson or Panarin are the only ones I would. But karlsson is scary cause of injuries and the Vancouver injury factor on top of that.

im honestly more worried then excited for this off season lol

On 4/13/2019 at 2:49 PM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Would MUCH rather Myers. 

Me too, and I'm not even that high on Myers. I'd rather trade or draft our dmen to be honest, maybe sign a veteran presence dman that can be a 6th or 7th damn for a year or two at a cheap deal.

On 4/13/2019 at 9:29 PM, hammertime said:

It is complete non sense. Gardiner is a huge downgrade from Edler and will cost more. 

True but I'm guessing management is also considering age and injuries since those factors puts Edler in a disadvantage over Gardiner

Assuming we re-sign Edler, then if Juolevi is good enough for the Show, we have Edler, Hughes, Hutton and Juolevi should be good enough for the left side.

If we're anticipating Juolevi being in Utica and Edler not being a Canuck next season, then this makes a little bit of sense, but not much.

There is no guarantee Edler gets re-signed.  If it was that simple they would have done it already.  Remember Benning was quoted as asking Edler to waive his no trade clause so he could be traded.  Edler said no.  If he had said yes he would have most likely been traded.  That is very telling.  They obviously were not close on a contract extension and they certainly are not close now.  Edler and his agent are probably asking for a minimum 4 year term and a NMC in at least 3 of those years.  Benning is not going to give Edler that term I don't think and the NMC is probably off the table, at least for the 3rd year of the deal. 

So a stalemate has occurred and once July 1st hits Edler and his agent will look at the market.  I can see a playoff team offering him his 4 years, so Edler could well be gone in the summer.  If so we need a filler until Juolevi is ready, or even more if Hutton is traded.  So in that sense Gardiner makes sense.  You just need to pair him with a responsible D.

Jake is four years younger than Edler and has good mobility and can run a power play.  He's not the worst choice to replace Edler if it comes to that point.  If we can bring back Tryamkin that could be a good pairing.   

I'm in the camp where I'd overpay Edler on a 2-year deal, but would rather pass on just about anything that is 3-years+. At his age and with his injury history, anything longer is too risky, and cuts into our cap room when we need it most.

Thing is, everyone knows he wants to stay in Vancouver. And really, I doubt anyone else will give him longer term. As I mentioned earlier, it's been YEARS since anyone signed a D-man Edler's age to a contract longer than 2 years. And the last 3 times it happened, they all ended in buyouts.

If Edler's camp is adamant, then just let him wait till late June to compare other offers... which is likely what's happening.

I didn't want Gagner and I don't want Gardiner.

I think EK at top dollar (to beat out everyone else) is the way to go.

Edler should get a complete NMC on a reduced salary 2 year deal.

He wants only to play for Vancouver, so give him the clause, but cut back the cash and the term.

Get Tryamkin back if at all possible.

Get Juolevi healthy and with the big club.

Big 8:

Hughes  Karlsson

Edler Tanev

Juolevi Stetcher

Tryamkin Schenn

AHL 8:

Sautner Hutton

Teves Biega

Brisbois Chatfield

McEneny Elliot

Yutes:

Woo

Rathbone

Utunen

Gunnarsson

12 hours ago, R3aL said:

Yea well I think he’s a better player then your giving him credit for because he does make some mistakes that look visually awful.

Im not saying I’m advocating for his signing but I do think he’s a better player then Hutton, And a better UFA option then Myers.

I do also think a healthy Tanev would be an ideal partner for Gardiner too. 

Juolevi wont be blocked immediately as he’s going to doubtfully be ready for nhl next season.

And maybe they are thinking we’d lose Gardiner to Seattle I don’t know. 

I totally understand where you are coming from though Because he does turnover the puck lots and I don’t want to overpay for any free agent anyways. Karlsson or Panarin are the only ones I would. But karlsson is scary cause of injuries and the Vancouver injury factor on top of that.

im honestly more worried then excited for this off season lol

I think I'm reacting strongly to it because the guys on 650 seem to be really pushing the idea simply based on the fact the guy can make a decent pass - lets set the bar a little higher :lol:

I just see too many signals that this could be an anchor contract. I loved the Loui signing at the time, it didn't look risky, but now it is what it is. To me Gardiner has far more potential problems pending so i would just prefer we go with what we have on the left side in the system. 

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

The more I think about it the more I think signing Tryamkin makes so much more sense than any UFA or even trade. He doesn't cost you an asset and I wouldn't expect him to want term given he's already left once. Give him the money in bonuses to buy out his KHL contract and the lure of playing on Hughes pairing. Make it a 1 or 2 year show me contract 4 mill or so. If it doesn't work out all you have invested is money. He can walk at the end of it and Woo/Juolevi/2019 draft pick slide up heck maybe Brogan turns into something. If it does work out the upside is literally HUGE! Move Tanev and Hutton when Juolevi and Woo are ready to take their place. 

Edler Tanev 

Hughes Tryamkin

Hutton Stetcher

Schenn

mostly agree with this.. and it shows that there's no real need for a high priced UFA this year. 

Edler is of course a big question mark, I would guess he signs a 3 x $5ish if he really wants to stay. 

As far as big Nik, he bolted on us, will he break contract with his current team? Will that sour things in the K if he comes back here and it didn't work out? Or would he even come back here if he wasn't sure and committed? I think he'd want at least 2 x $4 to make the move. And I think it's well worth the experiment. 

In the meantime, I see Schenn on a 2 x $1.25 to shelter Quinn and provide grit. Not sure how long he can keep up that pace, but I'd like to find out. 

Hutton turned things around this year, but he's 25, how much more will he improve? We'll get a sense of where he stands with his next contract. I would suspect an extension or arbitration. 

OJ better get ready quick cuz Tanev won't make it to Halloween.. lol

Bring back Tryamkin if we can, but if not, assuming we have the 7 of Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Stetcher, Hughes, Schenn & Biega, and with Sautner, OJ & Rafferty in Utica, I believe we're good for another year. 

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

mostly agree with this.. and it shows that there's no real need for a high priced UFA this year. 

Edler is of course a big question mark, I would guess he signs a 3 x $5ish if he really wants to stay. 

As far as big Nik, he bolted on us, will he break contract with his current team? Will that sour things in the K if he comes back here and it didn't work out? Or would he even come back here if he wasn't sure and committed? I think he'd want at least 2 x $4 to make the move. And I think it's well worth the experiment. 

In the meantime, I see Schenn on a 2 x $1.25 to shelter Quinn and provide grit. Not sure how long he can keep up that pace, but I'd like to find out. 

Hutton turned things around this year, but he's 25, how much more will he improve? We'll get a sense of where he stands with his next contract. I would suspect an extension or arbitration. 

OJ better get ready quick cuz Tanev won't make it to Halloween.. lol

Bring back Tryamkin if we can, but if not, assuming we have the 7 of Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Stetcher, Hughes, Schenn & Biega, and with Sautner, OJ & Rafferty in Utica, I believe we're good for another year. 

This would be the same D as last year, only new face is Hughes for full year..

We need to trade or sign at least a # 3 D man!

Hughes  19 -- Future is so exciting, see him play 19-- 22 mins per game 32-36 points next season 1st PP 

Juolevi 20 -- Still has bright future 13 Pts in 17 games in Utica 22 mins -Was having a very good season before injury..Will be NHL player soon..

Hutton has shown big improvement playing big mins-- Has to be signed RFA 3.6--4 million will be interesting to see what happens..

Stetcher - Had a good year 18-22 min guy solid D guy.

Edler _ plays big mins think he will be signed 2yrs X 5.5 mil with 3rd yr trade option so we don't have to protect him for Seattle..

Schenn - 1 yr x 1.1 million adds toughness and depth for injuries

Hutton_ Need to move if Edler is signed? Guy plays 50-60 games solid D guy but stock is not high..

Sautner # 6 D man plays solid depth guy

Briesbois 21-- see him still improving

Rafferty 23 - played good in his 2 games

Biega - might have to package as there so many guys around that are younger?

Woo 18 -- Solid future see him make team 20-21 season

15 hours ago, hammertime said:

Edler Tanev 

Hughes Tryamkin

Hutton Stetcher

Schenn

The combination of  Edler/ Tanev,  whether they are paired, or disparaged separately into other combinations, probably combines for 50% or more of our weakness on this D core. 

Tanev needs to be moved..  he will not get us much,. but he is an expiring asset, as is Edler.

Change comes when change happens.. not by sticking to status quo. 

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The combination of  Edler/ Tanev,  whether they are paired, or disparaged separately into other combinations, probably combines for 50% or more of our weakness on this D core. 

Tanev needs to be moved..  he will not get us much,. but he is an expiring asset, as is Edler.

We need more elite YOUNG talent to go with our current young guys.  Keeping Edler and Tanev, and signing another middle of the pack UFA D man will on keep us middle of the pack.  Maybe it's best to allow the youth to carry us, and see where we finish.  If they do great and we do great, we are happy!  If they are still not ready to carry the team, then we get a top five pick, and likely add another elite YOUNG talent.  I'm seriously wondering if go half measure on a rebuild is like pulling a band-aid off slowly.  Maybe it's best to rip it off, and suffer intense, but shorter pain?

Hearing talk of signing guys like Jake Gardiner makes me want to :sick:

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I respectfully disagree.

You get bubkis in trade for Tanev. And if you do trade him you cant just plug and play a guy like Myers and hope to be better. There is no addition by subtraction with Tanev every time he gets hurt the team goes into a losing spiral. JB needs to add depth on the right not 1 step fwd 2 steps back. When Edler and Tanev find a home on the 2nd pairing this team will be competitive.

Archived