The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comedian Wins Ukraine Election

DonLever

A comedian whose only political experience consists of playing a president on TV appeared poised to reprise the role in real life when an exit poll showed him winning Ukraine's presidential runoff Sunday in a landslide.

Results from the exit poll after voting stations closed showed Volodymyr Zelenskiy receiving an extraordinary 73.2 per cent — or nearly three out of every four votes cast — to President Petro Poroshenko's 25.3 per cent.

If borne out by election returns, the overwhelming victory by Zelenskiy would stand as a crushing rebuke to Poroshenko's five years in office and a verdict on the country's deep-seated corruption, sickly economy and grinding war against Russian-backed separatists in the country's east that has killed over 13,000 people.

While official returns had yet to be released, Poroshenko accepted defeat, saying: "I am leaving office, but I want to firmly underline that I am not leaving politics."

Zelenskiy, for his part, vowed after the release of the exit polls: "I promise I will never let you down." And he suggested that his apparent victory could be a model for other former Soviet states that want to move forward from ossified politics.

"To all the countries of the former Soviet Union — look at us, everything is possible," he said.

20 minutes ago, lmm said:

and Reagan, this is really nothing new

Ronald Reagan had considerable political experience before becoming president.   He was California's Governor for 2 terms from 1967 to 1975.   He retired from acting a long time before becoming president.

9 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Ronald Reagan had considerable political experience before becoming president.   He was California's Governor for 2 terms from 1967 to 1975.   He retired from acting a long time before becoming president.

that may be true, but it does not change the fact the electorate is a sucker for a smooth talking pitchman

Ron Reagan's last movie was  in 1964, 

Gov of Cali in 67

pretty quick turn around actually

but granted, he at least apprenticed as Gov before running for the top job

experience means nothing now, partly because many of us believe experience corrupts

It's sad that in North America we don't realize what a joke politics are and express our voice accordingly.  They've elected comedians and pirate parties all over Europe to show what a farce the whole system is. 

Politicians choose to do what's popular instead of what's correct.  

It's akin to a woman with breast cancer coming to a doctor that's played by a politician.  Even though the breast needs to be removed, the politician would ponder and declare that public polls show that breast implants would look the best, and decide on this course of action without dealing with the problem.  

This is what I feel the policits has become.  Just do whatever it takes to get elected again.  

Paul Martin is the last Canadian PM that I admire.  Didn't do much for publicity and took drastic measures to balance our budget (last PM to run a surplus over his tenure I believe). 

Archived