The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With all due respect, have you seen the moves Holland made over the last 8 years?  Holland....is not Holland.

it's not like he's trading from a place where his assets played for years in the vaunted Detroit system of old

Just horsing around and I agree. Check my comments in the Oilers hire Holland thread. Hollands overrated. More a play on JB's lack of experience vs Holland. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With all due respect, have you seen the moves Holland made over the last 8 years?  Holland....is not Holland.

it's not like he's trading from a place where his assets played for years in the vaunted Detroit system of old

1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for Tatar is impressive.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

It is highly unlikely Seattle will want to pick up Lucic or Eriksson in the expansion draft.  So, it is probably okay for them to waive their NMC to help facilitate a trade.

Loui doesn’t have a NMC.  Only Lucic has that.  That’s the stumbling block in any trade.  Milan must be protected.  Loui doesn’t.  That and Lucic’s extra year.  

These two reasons, plus Loui can still help a team, and Milan can’t, make for why the Oilers have to add a lot.  

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

It is highly unlikely Seattle will want to pick up Lucic or Eriksson in the expansion draft.  So, it is probably okay for them to waive their NMC to help facilitate a trade.

This.

There's no way in hell either player gets taken in an expansion draft. So if Lucic really wants to come home, you'd think he'd understand and play ball. Eriksson only has a modified NTC starting in July so he doesn't need to be protected. 

If I'm Holland and I'm really considering attaching an asset like Puljujarvi to a Lucic deal and taking back Eriksson, I'm not going to do it before Eriksson's bonus is paid and I'd also want Goldobin coming with Eriksson. So that would be my guess if a trade is ever worked out.

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui doesn’t have a NMC.  Only Lucic has that.  That’s the stumbling block in any trade.  Milan must be protected.  Loui doesn’t.  That and Lucic’s extra year.  

These two reasons, plus Loui can still help a team, and Milan can’t, make for why the Oilers have to add a lot.  

"Players with no-movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected by their teams."

So it looks like Lucic can waive. Why would Seattle want him?

Lucic has only managed decent numbers in Edmonton playing with McJesus.  A pylon could put up numbers playing with that guy. Offensively, he is now no better than your average 4th liner.

Eriksson hasn't gelled with anybody very well as of yet.  But if he finds chemistry, I feel he has the small potential of making a bit of a comeback.  Even as it stands, despite LE's disappointing scoring in relation to his salary, he is still a player that contributes and his numbers are far better than that of Lucic.

Add to that the fact Lucic has an extra year, plus the low cash price of LE in his final years, and there is no doubt we should be getting a sweetener if this deal was to occur. 

I also wouldn't do it unless Lucic allows us to leave him unprotected.  He has to know Seattle would have no interest. He could still have a clause that we wouldnt send him to the minors.

14 hours ago, shiznak said:

I don’t see how there’s a problem from Lucic taking up a protection spot.

I get what you're saying but it does reduce your flexibility. What if we land some key UFA's/trades that need protecting after get him? What if we could trade for a solid forward from a team that won't be able to protect them, for cheap but wouldn't be able to because Lucic is going that slot?

If he's coming here, the clause needs to be waived IMO.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

According to CapFriendly, Loui currently has a NTC while Lucic has a NMC so in order for a trade to happen they both would need to waive those.  I read somewhere after July 1st, Loui's contract has 3 x 3 years = 9 million in salary with a cap hit of 6 x 3 = 18 million.   The amount of Lucic's contract is 4 x 4 years = 16 million in salary with a cap hit of 4 x 6 = 24 million.  So the difference in salary is 7 million (16 - 9) and a difference of 6 million (24 - 18) in cap hit.   So yeah, we would need somekind of sweetener. 

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dreger is seemingly apeing points spoken about here over three weeks ago, regarding adding a sweetener in a trade for Lucic. That guy is the epitome of full of $&!# from Toronto. 

90% of his statements are just his best guess thoughts not far from what we do here.  He just puts on a serious face and says “Look, here is what I think will happen....” and it rarely does because nobody is that close to the actual convos.

• Cheers 1