The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1982 Stanley Cup Finals

Rate this topic

Nucks89

Were any posters alive during this time? Was there an expectation that the Canucks could possibly pull off the upset? Or was this a mismatch from the start? I've seen highlights of Bossy's OT winner in game 1. Don't remember seeing many highlights for the rest of the series.

• Upvote 3

Yeah..the Finals were a kinda weird vibe..anticlimactic, cos' everyone knew the Isles would lift our lunch money. Just wish they won 1 game, to say they did that!

But the first three rds it was quite a hoot, as momentum was building nicely. Of course it was a spring of upsets, so they kept running into teams that shouldn't even have been there, themselves. I think the order was Cal, Kings & Hawks?

Was nice they had a tough group, that could stand up for themselves. Delorme & Fraser were nasty hombres! & of course the legendary Roger Neilson would make history with his graceful, spontaneous combustion. :^) They say imitation's the best form of flattery, but I'm tired of seeing staged, fair weather, clueless US markets acting as if their snotty towels have any significance.

Kinda cool the Flyin-V's made a run. We fans have memories of epic runs in all our jersey variations, when you think about it.

• Cheers 4

I remember the series well.

Canucks were the overwhelming underdogs and the Islanders were in the middle of their 'dynasty'.

So yeah, in that sense you could easily describe it as a 'mismatch' from the start. 

Couple things stand out to me to this day:  Gradin and Smyl were both VERY good in the series and Brodeur was playing on another level! 

To me this is when Neilsen established himself as an elite coach. 

• Upvote 1

There were no illusions that we could beat the mighty Islanders....we were just happy to be there. Things really went our way during the playoff run that year. We played against teams that finished lower in the standing than us all the way until we got to the finals thanks to numerous upsets in the 1st round. I don't want to take anything away from the gutsy effort our guys put out every game but we were fortunate in the path we had to the finals.

It was obe hell of a ride for the city and fans though........

• Upvote 1

I remember Harold Snepts coughing up the puck to Bossy in game 1.

Total Cinderella story that year.

The white towel was born during that cup run...they had a towel that continuously wrapped around inside the stadium like 2 or 3 times...

• Upvote 1

Other than getting to the finals that year the best part was seeing the Kings beat the Oilers in the 1st round. The Oilers had 48 points more than the Kings during the regular season. The Kings overcame a 5 - 0 Oilers lead in the 3rd period to knock off the Oilers in overtime.....it was just an amazing game.

As a wee lad I had the good fortune to have attended the first two ever home playoff games against the Canadiens in 1975. The 82 run was a fulfillment of all those dreams that hatched when I was a youngster. Even though I had my doubts that we could take the Islanders down, nevertheless the whole experience that Spring convinced me that our time would come in the natural course of events despite what was already brewing in Edmonton at the time. How was it possible to ever be that naive? 

• Upvote 1

I wasn't alive, but I've spent considerable time researching hockey history. From what I understand it was considered amazing that we even brought the Islanders to OT in game 1. The disparity between the best and worst teams was far far greater back then than it is now--there's much more parity these days.

The Canucks didn't have a chance whatsoever. The Islanders were so dominant. I remember watching the series knowing the Canucks had zero hope. You couldn't even delude yourself into thinking there was a slight chance.

As a result, I think the Nucks players and fans were able to enjoy and appreciate the experience more. There were no expectations at that point. You could celebrate their unlikely run rather than being bitter. 

• Upvote 1