The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

Just now, oldnews said:

But you can't assume Myers would take a "Brinks truck" - and we don't really know the real price of Ristolainen.   Teams are operating in a deflated cap market right now - so we might actually see some non-frenzied UFA deals this summer - you never know what Myers might take - and even if teams miss on the 'big fish' - it's likely to get more reasonable as those teams with cap do spend themselves out.

I think you look at / talk to Myers and maintain a reasonable stance that you don't move off of - if he wants to play here, the terms need to be reasonable - ie 6/6 to 6.5 and I think you look hard at that.  Whether Buffalo is willing to budge off untouchable principals - who knows?   Ristolainen would be nice - but he's also a player you're going to have to re-up in 3 years - and he will have UFA leverage - so if you're breaking the bank on him, it's a 3 yr window you get before you have to pay him again - that's not a bad amount of term, but it is somewhat borderline imo with the timing of expiriing.  

well is 6yr x6m per with a ntc still not a Brinks truck for a guy that was sheltered on a stacked Winnipeg right side D. I think Myers is a serviceable 2nd pair D but I dont think its wise of us to commit to him unless the contract is no longer than 6yrs and no more than 6m per. That is just my opinion tho. personally, trade for a Colin Miller or Justin faulk and stay the course and not over spend in FA...when does that work out for the Canucks or any team really...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

well is 6yr x6m per with a ntc still not a Brinks truck for a guy that was sheltered on a stacked Winnipeg right side D. I think Myers is a serviceable 2nd pair D but I dont think its wise of us to commit to him unless the contract is no longer than 6yrs and no more than 6m per. That is just my opinion tho. personally, trade for a Colin Miller or Justin faulk and stay the course and not over spend in FA...when does that work out for the Canucks or any team really...

where do you get the idea that Myers was "sheltered"? 

that kind of slant doesn't really suggest that you're being real about it.

Colin Miller or Faulk might be good players but do they fit - ie who are you going to play them with - and the remaining mix - if you acquire them?  I think you set yourself up for yet another need if you do so - in the end.  If Myers plays "sheltered minutes" - what does Miller play?

And Faulk is an expiring contract - has one year of term - what do you think it would cost to retain him?

I think Myers in free agency probably makes more sense than either of those guys - and even if you plucked a Miller out of Vegas at a reasonable cost - I doubt that - but even so, you still need another defenseman, one that brings more heaviness and hard minutes to a lineup lacking that.

Edited by oldnews

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

where do you get the idea that Myers was "sheltered"? 

that kind of slant doesn't really suggest that you're being real about it.

Colin Miller or Faulk might be good players but do they fit - ie who are you going to play them with - and the remaining mix - if you acquire them?  I think you set yourself up for yet another need if you do so - in the end.  If Myers plays "sheltered minutes" - what does Miller play?

And Faulk is an expiring contract - has one year of term - what do you think it would cost to retain him?

I think Myers in free agency probably makes more sense than either of those guys - and even if you plucked a Miller out of Vegas at a reasonable cost - I doubt that - but even so, you still need another defenseman, one that brings more heaviness and hard minutes to a lineup lacking that.

put these 3 D in order of value to the Jets: Myers , Buff, Trouba

1. Buff- dynamic D when he is on and healthy he makes that team go on the back end

2. Trouba- Good solid D that is younger than Myers, no longer with the jets so fingers crossed they try to keep Myers

3. Myers- decent 2nd pair guy, can step up and play a bit more with injuries but slotted him on top pair of the Canucks...I dunno

If myers can be had for 6m or less I would be okay with that and the term be 4-6yrs. Otherwise I would rather gauge the cost of C. Miller, Faulk or Risto instead

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

1. Buff- dynamic D when he is on and healthy he makes that team go on the back end

2. Trouba- Good solid D that is younger than Myers, no longer with the jets so fingers crossed they try to keep Myers

3. Myers- decent 2nd pair guy, can step up and play a bit more with injuries but slotted him on top pair of the Canucks...I dunno

If myers can be had for 6m or less I would be okay with that and the term be 4-6yrs. Otherwise I would rather gauge the cost of C. Miller, Faulk or Risto instead

that doesn't begin to answer the question - or substantiate your claim.

how do you qualify this claim that Myers was "sheltered"?

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that doesn't begin to answer the question - or substantiate your claim.

how do you qualify this claim that Myers was "sheltered"?

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/winnipeg-jets-team-stats?season=2018&category=ICE+TIME&time=0

Myers 2 min 30s less a game than trouba and 4min less a game TOI than Buff

So by TOI he was their 3rd most deployed RHD. That to me means if he plays the least amount he is sheltered or the bottom pair guy. 

Regardless, I dont mind us signing him but it cant be more than 6m and longer than 5 years imo

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/winnipeg-jets-team-stats?season=2018&category=ICE+TIME&time=0

So by TOI he was their 3rd most deployed RHD. That to me means if he plays the least amount he is sheltered or the bottom pair guy. 

Regardless, I dont mind us signing him but it cant be more than 6m and longer than 5 years imo

it's nowhere near that simple.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

THIS THIS THIS. Edler has taken heat his entire career because he's a 2/3 forced into a 1 position. Now imagine dining a player for a bunch of money and having that same issues. Myers scares me because I feel this fan base will year him apart.

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

THIS THIS THIS. Edler has taken heat his entire career because he's a 2/3 forced into a 1 position. Now imagine dining a player for a bunch of money and having that same issues. Myers scares me because I feel this fan base will year him apart.

the fans and media will eat him up if he plays poor and has a massive contract. Edler at times was a whipping boy and he made 5m, how is a 6-7m year deal for Myers going to make those same people feel...

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

cool bro

"Sheltered" means easier minutes, avoiding hard matchups - something typcially reserved to young players that aren't entirely readiy, and need veteran accompaniment as well as avoiding difficult situations they aren't necessarily ready for, or that play against their strengths.

Myers was, for example, one of Winnipeg's penalty killing D - you don't utilize D that need to be 'sheltered' in a key penalty killing role.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

It's not just Myers, it'll be Benning as well even though many are advocating to sign him. I highly doubt those that say to sign him and he falters will come out and admit they were wrong. If Myers was 6'1 203lbs, I bet no one would be interested in bringing him in. Most I've read for those that want to bring him in are just drooling over his size and don't talk much about his actual play.

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

the fans and media will eat him up if he plays poor and has a massive contract. Edler at times was a whipping boy and he made 5m, how is a 6-7m year deal for Myers going to make those same people feel...

that's the case with anyone.

People will complain about Myers giveaways - it's inevitable - the GDTs will lose their minds - but none of that is a reason not to look at the sum of this player and assess whether he's worth it overall, and a good fit for what the team needs.   I'm not on any hard sell in favour of Myers - I think there are a fair amount of options that mean they don't have to overspend - but they should absolutely be finding out what it will take.

Believing he was 'sheltered" though suggests that you haven't really assessed the player fairly.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

half of that toi difference is powerplay. 

33 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Edler was also a home grown draft pick and not a free agent signing, that historically hasn't treated the nucks well. It's a recipe for disaster

Canucks should be trying to get Faulk. 

Carolina fans want help up front. We don't have much to offer other than Virtanen (more of a 3rd liner right now), Baer (solid 2nd liner when healthy), and Goldy.

Other teams could probably offer much more.

Edit: some of their posters just want futures for Faulk as they will be up to the cap with Aho so they need to clear some space. Faulk is a legit top 4 D and would be great with Edler. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

"Sheltered" means easier minutes, avoiding hard matchups - something typcially reserved to young players that aren't entirely readiy, and need veteran accompaniment as well as avoiding difficult situations they aren't necessarily ready for, or that play against their strengths.

Myers was, for example, one of Winnipeg's penalty killing D - you don't utilize D that need to be 'sheltered' in a key penalty killing role.

Exactly.  Edler has always been the scapegoat because he is playing as a #1 D and is a #2-3.  Myers is the same but if you have many of these guys it helps with the heavy lifting.  Either you have a top heavy D or more balanced.  Without getting a Karlsson or Doughty this is our option.  Edler Ristolainen Myers Hughes are all 2-3 guys but that may be better then an Karlsson (#1) Methot (#5) type balance.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Has Jim exhausted all all options from a trade angle?

I would think so, unless it's a trade for depth players. I don't see how we have the assets for someone like Risto or Barrie right now, with our 1st having been dealt.

I suppose JB could offer guys like Virtanen, Juolevi, or Woo, but do we really want to do that?

20 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Trade who/what for Miller or Faulk?

We don't have alot of trading chips we are willing to use.

We have guys we want to get rid of but that doesnt mean other teams want them.

I think we have a good shot at landing Myers with a decent price tag.

His wife's family is from B.C. and he owns a place in Kelowna.

If Winnipeg can't keep him, we may be his 2nd choice.  

We have some great young players here for him to join.

Edited by Kosmo Kramer