The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

15 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Who?

Scouts said Podz was once of the most NHL ready prospects in the draft. And it is only two years until his KHL contract is done. Most prospects take at least that much time. So who would have been of more immediate help on the big team? 

I don't see anyone getting picked at 10 that fits that thought.

Have to wait and see how they actually develop but of the guys picked after us at 10, I'd wager at least one or two of Boldy, Soderstrom and Krebs could be playing before 2 years out. Any of whom would have been fine picks at 10 IMO (though I'm QUITE happy Pod was still available and that we in fact took him).

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

When Stan Smyl used to play one of the best places for his linemates to be was just following Smyl.  Following the trail of Smyl hits, littered with busted plays and broken defenders, was a plethora of loose pucks and open ice.  I get the feeling that Podzolzin is going to leave a similar battleship sized wake.

good point...there is an easy hockey drill called "follow your pass"...if players actually do that in a game, it's amazing how much puck support  (different levels of support) and chances come from doing this simple game situation drill in a game...just follow in Podz wake and a player should be able to capitalize on chances he creates.

• Upvote 1

Trying to find out which club Podkolzin is going to start new season - VHL or KHL. Vasily is still listed in the big club SKA roster on the club's web site.

SKA plays Metallurg in Magnitogorsk on Sep 2.

ska.jpg

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Cheers 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

When Stan Smyl used to play one of the best places for his linemates to be was just following Smyl.  Following the trail of Smyl hits, littered with busted plays and broken defenders, was a plethora of loose pucks and open ice.  I get the feeling that Podzolzin is going to leave a similar battleship sized wake.

I like that.. 

the HMS Podkolzin.. 

• Haha 2

Haha it's actually kinda funny watching that highlight vid and seeing Podz not even having a single point for all his effort. However you can definitely tell he gains blue-line possession easily and develops lots of quality chances. I would say he needs to be more decisive with his passing and look for pass first opportunities as that will help open up some space for him rather than him doing it all on his own.

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Lol. Listened to this interview a couple times today. (good insight on Hogs and Lind a swell)

Burke: Podkolzin looks like everything Canucks were told Jake Virtanen was

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/burke-podkolzin-looks-like-everything-canucks-were-told-jake-virtanen-was-1.1358008

Edited by AV's Coin
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

Lol. Listened to this interview a couple times today. (good insight on Hogs and Lind a swell)

Burke: Podkolzin looks like everything Canucks were told Jake Virtanen was

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/burke-podkolzin-looks-like-everything-canucks-were-told-jake-virtanen-was-1.1358008

the best part of this is Burke complaining about complainers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1