The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

Considering most of the Sedin time here was spent without a first line winger....  (that is a waste)

I'm glad Petey is not going to have the same situation. 

Sucks to lose a 1 st rounder,  but overall I think it's for the best.

• Upvote 1

I'm excited about having Miller, he's going to really help our top 6. Not thrilled about giving up a first, but there is nothing to be done about that now except making sure that 1st is as deep in the 1st round as possible. If the team can get into the playoffs, and maybe even win a round, sending a mid 20s pick for Miller is much more palatable.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Stamkos said:

If he can make 60-70 points with Petey, then I think he’s more valuable than a wild card. 

This exactly. Didnt have to scroll down the first page far to see this and want to add to it.  JT Miller career stars are almost identical to Horvats, and they play a similar game.  He’s responsible defensively too, sees time on the PK (over 2:00 minutes a game) and the PP (around the same), really is a Swiss Army knife.   If he gets the top L spot which I think he most definitely will given he’s the best option by far, and Pearson shows promise with Horvat, I could see him pushing his game to the next level around O’Reilly territory.   Plus that line becoming a plus monster.  He’d be worth a kings bounty at that point and we could flip him as rental for such as a rental later on.  Or just re-sign him if we can keep him (which I have serious doubts we will be able too given the cap situation will be much different then).

In other words we have a guy who will likely become a fan favourite fast, for a reasonable cost, that later on we will re-coup if we want, or just carry on like business as usual sign him for another 3-5 years.   Either way it’s a win win.  Could be a very big win indeed if you know what I mean.  Nothing not to like about this, no way a non-cap strapped team would trade him, and if they did you could add JV to the ask minimum.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Miller is another big boy, much like Bo and Jake.  These guys change momentum with bone crushing hits.  I’m kind of surprised Tampa traded away Miller, and kept their Smurfs.  

I guess they are expecting a huge pay day for Point too, and they have Cerilli coming up who scored 19 goals without much 5 x 5 time and who was their best penalty killer playing on the third line.   Like TO they were bound to lose someone... they want picks which makes sense for them (players add cap).  

Oh yeah and Gourde too...

Solid gain for us a bit of an underpayment, for them they got two picks one a possible (but unlikely) lottery one too.  And yes they have one of the smallest forward groups in the league...