The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo vs Bure

Rate this topic

Z.Kassian9

Luongo vs Bure  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Best goalie in our history, our captain, took us to the finals, one of the top 3 goalies in wins of all time. I say yes. If not, at the very least the ring of Honor.

Well, considering Maclean is RoH while playing here longer and also taking us to the finals - I'd have to say RoH is enough. But as Bure was put up there one could argue Lou's length of service is irrelevant.

20 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Well, considering Maclean is RoH while playing here longer and also taking us to the finals - I'd have to say RoH is enough. But as Bure was put up there one could argue Lou's length of service is irrelevant.

I think NHL legacy plays a roll in a number being retired (not saying it should, just I think it does). Lu is retiring 3rd in all time wins, which is a massive acheivement.

I would love to see combined retirement with both goalies names present, but I don't see that happening.

5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I think NHL legacy plays a roll in a number being retired (not saying it should, just I think it does). Lu is retiring 3rd in all time wins, which is a massive acheivement.

I would love to see combined retirement with both goalies names present, but I don't see that happening.

The way I see it, the HHoF is for recognizing a players legacy and career. Retiring a number is for service to that team. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Who does Ottawa have retired other than Alfredsson (who seriously deserves it with his 1100+ games played and 1100+ pts in a Sens jersey)? 

Alfredsson sets their bar where it should be.  Smyl set ours at 896 games played and 673 points lol.

Pretty sure they have a few guys from the teams that won way back when.. Cy Denny ... a few ... next time I’m there I will take a picture and add it..

edit:  according to google Frank Finnagens number 8 is retired, only other guy then #11....considering how long they have been around now (not 26 years?), it would comparable to us in 1996, at the time only Smyl’s number was retired...only Chara’s number maybe should be considered but his best years started after the trade so who knows...would be similar to us with Bure i guess...they really have nobody else to consider...they Hate Heatley...Spezza?  Nah. Maybe Karlsson when he retires, they love him still...

Edited by IBatch

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Loui was our goalie (by far the best we ever had) during the best seasons of our team.  I think his number gets put up with the twins, but not as quickly.  It will be several years, much like how it was with Pavel. 

After nux finished paying the cap penalty for next 3 yrs and after Lui enters HOF. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure they have a few guys from the teams that won way back when.. Cy Denny ... a few ... next time I’m there I will take a picture and add it..

edit:  according to google Frank Finnagens number 8 is retired, only other guy then #11....considering how long they have been around now (not 26 years?), it would comparable to us in 1996, at the time only Smyl’s number was retired...only Chara’s number maybe should be considered but his best years started after the trade so who knows...would be similar to us with Bure i guess...they really have nobody else to consider...they Hate Heatley...Spezza?  Nah. Maybe Karlsson when he retires, they love him still...

Laurie Boschman was their Orland Kurtenbach.  Maybe he'll get the ROH treatment one day.  He was a solid player that's been forgotten unfortunately.  The early Senators had some guys like that (Brad Marsh, Sylvain Turgeon, Doug Smail, Troy Murray).  A solid line up of latter-day Terry Ruskowskis / Mel Bridgmans.  Obviously they were all on their last legs and didn't spend much time in Ottawa.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

After nux finished paying the cap penalty for next 3 yrs and after Lui enters HOF. 

Question is has he done enough to warrant a first ballot entry?  Considering one goalie is ranked higher by some in all-time lists  (Barasso,two cups, Vezina, Calder three all-star selections one first ranked 26, Luongo 29) and others are arguably comparable (Cujo) and waited a long time now ... 

Also guys like Vernon (two cups conn Smythe etc.) and Osgood (way better winning percentage 11 all-time ore shoot-out 400 wins, three cups two as a starter and an elite sp in the playoffs last final elite .930 and he was a front runner for the Conn Smythe had they won and that was when he was almost done...

You can bet the HHOF will do the math when they compare him to other members and change his shoot-out wins (around 60) and consider them ties, same with the losses...he’s still undeniably Hall worthy but it takes a lot of shine off.

Cujo isn’t in because he never won any hardware/cups or was first or second all-star spots.  Luongo has three of those and two gold medals, one as a starter in 2010 when he was a top goalie for a stretch of five years or so.  

Is he going in? Absolutely.  Right now there isn’t any recent retirees that are up so the thought is some of these guys that have been waiting for a while might get the call.   Jagr and Selanne are recent greats ... then the Sedins, Joe Thornton when he hangs them up and Luongo will be up.   Wouldn’t it be neat if they get in together (the Sedins and Luongo?). It’s entirely possible.

edit:  I will be happy as long as Keith doesn’t retire soon and get the call the same time as then.  If they do i hope afterwards the three of them (Sedins and Luongo) take turns elbowing him in the head in the parking lot...ok just kidding...sort of

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Question is has he done enough to warrant a first ballot entry?  Considering one goalie is ranked higher by some in all-time lists  (Barasso,two cups, Vezina, Calder three all-star selections one first ranked 26, Luongo 29) and others are arguably comparable (Cujo) and waited a long time now ... 

Also guys like Vernon (two cups conn Smythe etc.) and Osgood (way better winning percentage 11 all-time ore shoot-out 400 wins, three cups two as a starter and an elite sp in the playoffs last final elite .930 and he was a front runner for the Conn Smythe had they won and that was when he was almost done...

You can bet the HHOF will do the math when they compare him to other members and change his shoot-out wins (around 60) and consider them ties, same with the losses...he’s still undeniably Hall worthy but it takes a lot of shine off.

Cujo isn’t in because he never won any hardware/cups or was first or second all-star spots.  Luongo has three of those and two golf medals, one as a starter in 2010 when he was a top goalie for a stretch of five years or so.  

Is he going in? Absolutely.  Right now there isn’t any recent retirees that are up so the thought is some of these guys that have been waiting for a while might get the call.   Jagr and Selanne are recent greats ... then the Sedins, Joe Thornton when he hangs them up and Luongo will be up.   Wouldn’t it be neat if they get in together (the Sedins and Luongo?). It’s entirely possible.

Selanne is already in.  I think Luongo's gold medals and membership in the three-goalie 1000 game club will get him fast tracked a little more than the other guys you named that are on the outside looking in.  But I've long been on record here arguing for Barrasso and Vernon especially.

I think Joseph was a Vezina finalist at least three times, so I thought that might have gotten him in, as he didn't just "Ray Whitney" his way up to high career numbers.  I think it starts to look a little worse for Cujo if/when he starts getting passed by the Lundqvists, Prices and Fleurys in career numbers.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

OTT might be easier...or just as easy.   It’s funny the see Stanley Cup banners in their rafters, taking credit for their namesakes accomplishments almost 100 years ago.  And some of those players too.

Then go watch a game in MTL...which is something everyone should do if they get the chance, just to see the legends statues outside, and the fire hazard hanging from their rafters...a lot of numbers retired and deservingly so, pretty sure all or almost all in the HHOF....along with 23 cup banners, not even sure if they bother with division champions but it’s hard to see them all even when your in the nosebleeds because you get blocked by what’s in front of you..

I get that your barn should put someone up there, and it’s not like we’ve gone overboard...as far as Näslund he was the best LW and a top two or three player in the league for a few years...Bure and the Sedins makes sense....but so does Linden for sure rLuongo?  Maybe too.  Definitely the best we’ve ever had and without him no presidents trophies.  

Luongo is not a top five goalie all-time...top twenty yes.   Take away the shoot-out wins and make them ties for a proper comparison to guys whom played before him same with so losses.  Think you will find what Sawchuk did, Roy, Broduer, Hasek, Plante, Parent, Dryden etc a lot more impressive...he will get the HHOF call I have no doubt,  but isn’t really any better or worse then Lundqvist is, or Price for that matter.   

Still he is one of ours, a former captain and the best we’ve ever had...retiring a 1 is not something to take lightly but if it might be a long time before anyone breaks the team records he made while here, in relatively short order too.

Bure, is a hall of fame legend. Unfortunately he only played a handful of seasons for us. Definitely don’t think he should be retired.

Naslund was a lethal sniper for 3 years. Top LW. Ok.... so. Bert was a lethal RW and dominated. There have been hundreds of wingers on other teams that have been lethal. Doesn’t at all mean their number should be retired. 

Stan was all heart... great!

linden was all heart... great!

Lou played 6 or so seasons with us and always wanted to go back to Florida. We 100% will have a better goalie one day and will win the cup. Play his whole career here. That is who should be retired. 

Sedins by far are are the two that should be retired. Played their whole careers with us, changed the game with their cycle and passing. Hall of gamers. They should be the only numbers we have retired... period 

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

OTT might be easier...or just as easy.   It’s funny the see Stanley Cup banners in their rafters, taking credit for their namesakes accomplishments almost 100 years ago.  And some of those players too.

Then go watch a game in MTL...which is something everyone should do if they get the chance, just to see the legends statues outside, and the fire hazard hanging from their rafters...a lot of numbers retired and deservingly so, pretty sure all or almost all in the HHOF....along with 23 cup banners, not even sure if they bother with division champions but it’s hard to see them all even when your in the nosebleeds because you get blocked by what’s in front of you..

I get that your barn should put someone up there, and it’s not like we’ve gone overboard...as far as Näslund he was the best LW and a top two or three player in the league for a few years...Bure and the Sedins makes sense....but so does Linden for sure rLuongo?  Maybe too.  Definitely the best we’ve ever had and without him no presidents trophies.  

Luongo is not a top five goalie all-time...top twenty yes.   Take away the shoot-out wins and make them ties for a proper comparison to guys whom played before him same with so losses.  Think you will find what Sawchuk did, Roy, Broduer, Hasek, Plante, Parent, Dryden etc a lot more impressive...he will get the HHOF call I have no doubt,  but isn’t really any better or worse then Lundqvist is, or Price for that matter.   

Still he is one of ours, a former captain and the best we’ve ever had...retiring a 1 is not something to take lightly but if it might be a long time before anyone breaks the team records he made while here, in relatively short order too.

Bure, is a hall of fame legend. Unfortunately he only played a handful of seasons for us. Definitely don’t think he should be retired.

Naslund was a lethal sniper for 3 years. Top LW. Ok.... so. Bert was a lethal RW and dominated. There have been hundreds of wingers on other teams that have been lethal. Doesn’t at all mean their number should be retired. 

Lou played 6 or so seasons with us and always wanted to go back to Florida. We 100% will have a better goalie one day and will win the cup. Play his whole career here. That is who should be retired. 

Sedins by far are are the two that should be retired. Played their whole careers with us, changed the game with their cycle and passing. Hall of gamers. They should be the only numbers we have retired... period 

• Cheers 1

On 6/27/2019 at 11:09 AM, Boeserker said:

Luongo doesn't make it into the HoF without the Stellar Canuck teams he played on. McClean remains equally legendary and arguably more so when you factor in the underdog teams he played on and the 1994 run had MacClean as a Hero, the whole way through. 7uongo on, the other hand, is a Legend as well but was always a Legend in his own mind and never won anything to back it up.

Edge goes to McClean.

None of the Canucks should have their jersey's retired but now that Naslund is up there, the door is wide open I suppose.

As far as actual hockey player goes, Bure is head and shoulders above every Canuck who has ever worn one of the dozens of jersey variations in Vancouver. If you want to advance stat with Smiliness, Likability, Ability to speak English, Hair-do points and Twitter scores, then ya, Luongo is your man.

You can always tell which posters are old farts stuck in a different time lol

• Cheers 1

On 6/27/2019 at 1:30 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Just my opinion: Bure, Smyl, Naslund and Luongo should all be in the Ring of Honour. The only jersey numbers that should be hanging in Rogers Arena are Linden, Daniel and Henrik. 

No I think Bure's number should be retired as he is a Hall of Famer.  Daniel and Henrik to follow.  I don't have a problem with Linden either as he did more for Vancouver than either Smyl or Naslund.  Naslund's number should never have been retired.  No finals, no trophies, no Stanley Cup, no nothing.  At least Smyl took us to the finals, but other than that he really didn't do much on the ice to deserve a retired number.

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I think Bure's number should be retired as he is a Hall of Famer.  Daniel and Henrik to follow.  I don't have a problem with Linden either as he did more for Vancouver than either Smyl or Naslund.  Naslund's number should never have been retired.  No finals, no trophies, no Stanley Cup, no nothing.  At least Smyl took us to the finals, but other than that he really didn't do much on the ice to deserve a retired number.

No trophies?  Naslund won the league MVP (Pearson / Lindsay Trophy).

On 6/27/2019 at 9:02 AM, Z.Kassian9 said:

So now that Luongo has retired, i've had a few chats with friends and people are kind of everywhere on the topic of retiring Lou's number. Some say yes some say no. 

If Bure's Number is up there, should Lou's be up there too?

yes, every good Canuck that also had the honour of playing for the Panthers should have their number retired.   Willie Mitchell is to follow.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Krzysl said:

lol he wanted to go back to Florida coz idiots here want to run him out of town. he played 8 seasons here.. 6 or so? 100% will have a better goalie one day? in the 100+ years of the NHL he's ranked 3rd all time in wins.. so i like to see where you get your 100% will have a better goalie one day come from lol. if he played his entire career in vancouver instead of florida to start his career.. he prolly past Roy in wins.. he has the 2nd highest Save% all time for goalies with 500+ games and highest Save% of goalies with 1000+ games.. in the existent of the NHL there's only 2 goalies so far with more win.. and 9 goalies with better save% if u don't count games played.. so chances of us 100% having a better goalie one day? is relatively low. winning the cup maybe. Lou deserves to be retired by the canucks since our number retiring requirement is relatively mediocre anyways. i mean bure is great in his short time here.. but his time with the canucks were relatively short. same with naslund. Linden and Smyl both wore the heart out for the canucks.. but really they don't have the stats to warrant their number being retired.. i mean they only lead the franchise coz they played here for a long time but really don't have any accolate to go up there.