The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordie Benn signs with Canucks

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

Exactly, and as usual Kadri's response is to go out of his way for retribution and apply a shoulder to Benn's head when he isn't looking.  That is Kadri toughness in a nutshell.

the argument to be made, I guess, is what's more important: being clean or being effective?

now, I'm not definitively saying kadri provides an effective deterrent against teams roughing up skill players, but in theory, it's logical to think that knowing the other team has a player that's willing to cross the line, even to his own detriment, in retaliation to clean hits is going to make you a little more hesitant to make those hits. 

5 hours ago, Borvat said:

Exactly, and as usual Kadri's response is to go out of his way for retribution and apply a shoulder to Benn's head when he isn't looking.  That is Kadri toughness in a nutshell.

Jordie will have many chances to exact revenge soon enough now that they are back in the same division again.

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Jordie Benn has outscored Hutton the past three years.

By all means, set your hopes high?

It is worth noting, we did not re-sign Hutton. Me, I'll be plenty happy if Benn can score 12 points, but clear the net, keep up with speedy forwards in our end... 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tas said:

I honestly don't care if he gets 25 points or 5 points -- scoring isn't why he was brought in. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

By all means, set your hopes high?

It is worth noting, we did not re-sign Hutton. Me, I'll be plenty happy if Benn can score 12 points, but clear the net, keep up with speedy forwards in our end... 

I hope this is the consistent message throughout the season if he indeed does only put up like 10 points and say Hutton puts up 20 elsewhere. There's a crowd out there that is going to nitpick on that for sure.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, rekker said:

He's going to be fan favorite. I think we have been suffering beard envy for awhile now and we dont even know it.

Your beard comment has me thinking.  When we make the playoffs next season, I’m curious to see if Petey can even grow a beard. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Your beard comment has me thinking.  When we make the playoffs next season, I’m curious to see if Petey can even grow a beard. 

2 moustache hairs...down to the logo. That way when the death stares come, he will look like he's gonna perform some deadly martial arts move.

• Haha 3

On 7/4/2019 at 8:51 PM, tas said:

the argument to be made, I guess, is what's more important: being clean or being effective?

now, I'm not definitively saying kadri provides an effective deterrent against teams roughing up skill players, but in theory, it's logical to think that knowing the other team has a player that's willing to cross the line, even to his own detriment, in retaliation to clean hits is going to make you a little more hesitant to make those hits. 

Kadri is effective, provided that he plays for a league darling.  If he pulled half his $&!# in Vancouver, he would be suspended all the time.  He makes Burrows look like a saint.  

He is such a d bag.  Hit and run Kadri.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
On 7/5/2019 at 1:13 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Jordie Benn has outscored Hutton the past three years.

Ben Hutton has outscored Jordie Benn the past four years. Stats are funny like that.

I'm not expecting much scoring from Jordie, that's not why we signed him. He'll be compitent in that area for a 3rd pair dman and provide help in our own end, with a little pushback to boot. 

Edited by VIC_CITY

• -SN- unpinned this topic
On 7/8/2019 at 9:29 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Ben Hutton has outscored Jordie Benn the past four years. Stats are funny like that.

I'm not expecting much scoring from Jordie, that's not why we signed him. He'll be compitent in that area for a 3rd pair dman and provide help in our own end, with a little pushback to boot. 

There's nothing odd or "funny", original point being Hutton is hardly an offensive  defenseman.  He's  been in the league four years and in the last three he hasn't produced much so he certainly isn't trending in the right direction either, to where a noted "defensive dman" in Benn has even outscored him.