The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordie Benn signs with Canucks

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I was thinking about this more. This might open up the opportunity to trade Tanev mid-season and put Benn on the right. This is important if Juolevi is ready for the NHL level where Benn might even partner him.

Also, Tryamkin plays both sides, but apparently plays right more.

This also allows for Sautner and Brisebois to possibly play more.

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Am I the only one who rates Hutton? The guy was the fittest he’s ever been in his career and barely missed a step playing 20+ mins near the end of last season. If he can build on that and eventually improve on the 25 points he showed in his rookie season, he can be a very solid top-4 defenseman.

Considering how people like to show unwavering support for our own draftees, which is logical, I’m surprised people aren’t more supportive of a player taken in the 5th round who’s developing the way Hutton is. That’s a feel-good story if I’ve ever seen one. 

Apparently you are.

The 31 GMs sure didn't knock down his door trying to sign him yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Also, Tryamkin plays both sides, but apparently plays right more.

This also allows for Sautner and Brisebois to possibly play more.

Tryamkin will be a late season signing if so. So that would be more of a next year issue. Sautner and Brisebois are simply good call up depth right now, but they could be used in a pinch should Tanev be traded earlier.

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Meh, if freaking Gaunce got a contract, you can be sure Hutton will get one.

Hutton will get a contract, probably to Toronto after they iron out the Marner contract & make some other small moves. He won't be getting paid much though, that's for certain. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

Am I the only one who rates Hutton? The guy was the fittest he’s ever been in his career and barely missed a step playing 20+ mins near the end of last season. If he can build on that and eventually improve on the 25 points he showed in his rookie season, he can be a very solid top-4 defenseman.

Considering how people like to show unwavering support for our own draftees, which is logical, I’m surprised people aren’t more supportive of a player taken in the 5th round who’s developing the way Hutton is. That’s a feel-good story if I’ve ever seen one. 

This is a good post..but the aforementioned next contract was throwing a bit of a wrench here. Additionally, there comes a time where we're compelled to swap out some of the 'developing potential' for an asset(or two) that emphatically delivers an attribute(s) we might be short on.

At some point or other, every team faces the evolution of (almost) inevitable change, & being forced into these hard decisions.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I have to agree with this. I really think we should be wishing him nothing but the best.

Also the mentality here towards players like Hutton to me show we're not much different than markets like Toronto or Montreal in terms of fan mentality.

Don't think I've seen anyone giving him the extra good-riddance boot out the back door.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

same reason we had to let him go I suspect, he doesn't want to take a pay cut 

Apparently he already turned down an offer from the Kings.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Tryamkin will be a late season signing if so. So that would be more of a next year issue. Sautner and Brisebois are simply good call up depth right now, but they could be used in a pinch should Tanev be traded earlier.

I know Tryamkin is next year.  I was just saying that Benn's flexibility sets us up well for the next couple of years.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why hasn’t anyone picked up Hutton yet? 

He was very overrated inside of Van. Even now people are arguing we should have kept him... fact is hes a replaceable bottom pairing with no physicality.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Really happy to have a BC Benn join the team. It sounds like he's very happy about it, maybe we'll see the best of him yet. It's too bad his brother makes so much (around $10 a year), would love to have him on the team too.

As for Hutton, he had a real good thing going here. Team mates liked him, fans liked him, etc. But I guess because he figures he did extra crunches over last year's offseason he deserves to be paid like a top 4 Dman. He did fill in pretty well when Edler went down, but I'm not sure he's good enough for the top 4 on a regular basis.    

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Be interesting how it all shakes out but my first thought was Benn with Hughes.

I can't see Hughes on the bottom pair to loosely quote JB I can see Hughes doing for the D this year what Pete did for the Fwds last year.

Edit I stand corrected https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/benning-adding-talent-depth-defence-canucks-top-priority/

JB says he likes Benn w Hughes or Stetch

LOL Bufoogalin

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I can't see Hughes on the bottom pair to loosely quote JB I can see Hughes doing for the D this year what Pete did for the Fwds last year.

Green supports your point about Hughes.  Green said Hughes’ ice time went from 14 minutes in game one to plus 22 minutes in game five.  He said Quinn can handle big minutes because he’s so smart, such a fabulous skater, and an elite athlete.  (I added that last observation). But elite guys like Hughes (you mentioned Petey too) have elite athleticism.  They are special. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Davathor said:

He was very overrated inside of Van. Even now people are arguing we should have kept him... fact is hes a replaceable bottom pairing with no physicality.

This. He didn't do any one thing well enough to solidify his spot in my opinion. Happy to have Benn who will make our defence tougher. 

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Green supports your point about Hughes.  Green said Hughes’ ice time went from 14 minutes in game one to plus 22 minutes in game five.  He said Quinn can handle big minutes because he’s so smart, such a fabulous skater, and an elite athlete.  (I added that last observation). But elite guys like Hughes (you mentioned Petey too) have elite athleticism.  They are special. 

The way I personally am leaning is 

Hughes Myers (O)

Edler Stetcher (Utility)

Benn Tanev (Shut down)

I feel you can distribute even minutes over these pairings and play each pairing to their strengths. That being said I will support the pairings Green decides on he knows his players better than I.  

• Upvote 4