The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] How did management do at UFA?

Rate this topic

koregen

How did management do at UFA?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The moves are decent....we are still missing an enforcer though....but ferland is still out there so who knows and we don't really have the cap room...Reeves is still in Vegas though and Lucic is still in Ed so something might still happen.....with Kadri now with Avs that worries me a lil more...

It will be interesting to see how the team meshes over the first 20 games. 

I feel you need 20 games in before you know what you have, what’s going to be a standout breakout ? or a flop ? is usually known by then. Hoping for a great season from some younger hopefully stronger players and we need to be tighter on back end. Pierre M caught my ear today talking our PP needs to improve I have to agree this isn’t all player related there is some team improvement areas required in player and system management as well. Should be interesting to see who gets on the top Power play from the back end is that Hughes and Edler or Myers there is some options there to explore. I really disagree with the comments they were making on the TSN panel today on lack of identity as well just goes to show how little they know of Benning and his mission to add character and we have a tonne of it. Also a comment was made our forwards lack creativity ??? Really I don’t see that I see a team learning to use their creativity it’s there for he whole time, it just needs to be let loose and exploited. Back to the Improve our power play I see some serious growth there this year. 

Now we need to pray to the health gods and looking forward to the start of 2019/20 season. I was really excited with the growth of our team last year after today I’m even more jacked. I’ve always been a huge fan of Myers. I think he is going to show well in a Canucks Jersey. People don’t realize what we didn’t have until he steps out on the ice game one and there will be a crap load of Myers jerseys in the stands by end of season. 

• Upvote 1

To be determined.

I think JB makes cpl more moves..  need to move out some contracts and bring in another top 6 forward.

Ferland still out there. I'd offer him 4.5 mil on a 3 or 4 yr deal. 

Or try to trade for Gusev. He's an offensive star Vegas having difficulty signing.

Need to move some cap space out before being able.to do much tho.  Well see how it unfolds. 

I really like the Myers signing. He's going to be a 40+ pts Dman for us. He'll have bigger role than he did in peg. 

Like the Benn signing too. Very good deal.

Plus depth Dman fatenberg, so he did well. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

To be determined.

I think JB makes cpl more moves..

I thought he would be in on a second speedy forward.  My own favourite target was Zucarello.  

Who ended up signing well over what I expected.

Possibly fine considering we paid a reasonable price for Myers, Edler & the cap hit for Miller is also very good.

But have to think who still is out there.

I wanted sheer speeeeeeeed on a line with Petey and Boeser.  Zucarello was that...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Had we been able to add Nyquist, it would have been a spectacular day for Benning. However, because of the money tied up in bad contracts and the Luongo recapture penalty, we weren't able to do all we were able to do to improve the club. Still, Benn and Myers signed for less than they could have had, so today is still a pretty significant win. The defense is leaps and bounds improved.

:frantic:

50 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I thought he would be in on a second speedy forward.  My own favourite target was Zucarello.  

Who ended up signing well over what I expected.

Possibly fine considering we paid a reasonable price for Myers, Edler & the cap hit for Miller is also very good.

But have to think who still is out there.

I wanted sheer speeeeeeeed on a line with Petey and Boeser.  Zucarello was that...

Ya..

Zuc would have been great. 

nyquist or dzingel  also.  

But if available Gusev is the player to chase. 

Word is gusev's rights may be available in trade. 

That's the perfect player for this team. 

JB should pay the cost it takes to acquire gusev. 

And make cap room to fit him in..

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

Awful.

People are just excited for the season rather then looking at the real picture.

i watched tyler Myers in Kelowna buffalo my second team over hundreds of times he hasn’t been the same since rookie season doesent use his size and makes tons of errors. He doesent really bring good two way play (maybe on a high scoring jets team he’ll stack up points)

hes not worrh even four million and  thats what we have a 6-7 dman I. Jordie benn (on a good team)

so Benning is paying 14 million this year of our cap to

luongo not his fault Myers benn and Fantenberg another 7-8 dman.

good god Myers is not the answer. He’s not a huge upgrade on Hutton.

we actually have lost more then we have gained Lol and Hughes is 19, is absolutely not the answer yet either dahlin just had a historic season for 18 yr olds second best ever and it didn’t help buffalo much.

we couldn’t get Colin Miller for a third rounder? Benning moves that and a first when we’re rebuilding on a decent forward but not great in J.T. Miller but can’t sign the right cheaper miller who’s better at his positioN.

all good when we miss the Playoffs benning is toast and then onto a good GM, I’m sick of benning and his overpaying of free agents it never ends with hiM, yeah he drafted Pettersen and bowser he also drafted virtanen Juolevi and a guy the first nine gms

called a s bust this year. Watch him be our yAkss

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

I give em a B. I like the Myers deal. My deal breaker was the 7x7 that was rumored to be the asking price. 2 fewer years and 1 fewer mil makes the deal much more bearable. I love the Benn signing but he won't be a massive upgrade on Hutton. So that's pretty close to a wash. With the Lu recapture, it kinda shot us in the foot in terms of who we can get. Before that recapture we probably could have gone for two upper level players. Walking away with Nyquist and Myers on top of Benn would have been a huge A+ imo. B isn't too bad. We fixed the most glaring need. RHD. Other than that we needed a top 6 forward but it wasn't a dire need. 

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

L Ericsson got paid 30 million for playimg 3 seasons as of now.  10 mill a season for LE. Unbelievable. If I was Aqua I'd fire someone for that. 

Perhaps LE feels ashamed and pulls a solid doesn't show up. Just retires or something.

Jb really screwed up with that one. But looks like he's getting better at his job as he gains experience. 

Looking at that free agent class Eriksson was not the worst thing to come out of it. It wasn't a rookie GM mistake, it was just a mistake that all GMs are capable of making. They happen in free agency all the time. Lucic. Sucks. Ladd. Sucks. Okposo. Pretty much sucks. Canuck fans only look at things from the Vancouver point of view (and rightfully so but that means we are poised to wrongfully judge Benning). Every GM makes an Eriksson level mistake. 

52 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

As of right now I give them  a B+. They earned a B for the moves they made, and the + for not overpaying. 

If they manage one of these moves I'd bump them up to an A.

Move out Erikssons contract

Sign Ferland to 4 years or less

If they manage both, that's a perfect offseason. A+

Essentially this. Ferland for the right price and term would be a nice piece to add to our top 6. I like Baer but his health is a big question mark, and it’d be nice to have a backup plan. 

Down the middle, we’re looking good. 

EP, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Gaudette. Beagle makes Sutter redundant imo, unless the plan is for Gaudette to start in Utica, getting top line minutes to start the season and move Sutter later on. Sutter can score some goals, but primarily has been used here as a match up forward, which he’s quite good at. Last season obviously being injured hampered his value considerably, but I think the plan was to move him at TDL last year. Regardless, down the middle we look pretty good. 

Eriksson is the biggest move that needs to be made this summer. In my mind, there’s absolutely no way he can be in our lineup next season. I really hope Benning can move him out without costing us too much in assets. Assuming he does get moved, signing Boeser in the 6.5-7.5m range would still allow us the room to make one more FA pickup. Ferland checks a lot of the boxes but with his style of play, his health is an issue. Regardless, I would be pretty pleased with signing him. 

Overall, Benning addressed the two biggest team needs this off season, as mentioned. If Markstrom continues his stellar play from last season, Demko plays well in backup, and the rest of the team takes the next step and for gods sakes manages to not lose 1/2 our starting lineup at the same time again, we should make a serious push into the playoffs. 

Overall, B+ for me as well. 

Edited by GreyHatnDart

With Dzingel still out there and only making $1.8mil, would he be an option at say $2.5 x 3? He is a center who can play wing much like Miller so he would give us more options up and down the lineup. Dude put up 26 Gs between OTT/CBS last season so he can score. He can also play the PK. Damn why can we not get rid of Loui or Sutter?!? We are literally one of them away from a top-6 to play with Bo because I do not trust Baer's concussion history. He is one more headshot or hard hit away from being done. Hope not though. 

7 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

The moves are decent....we are still missing an enforcer though....but ferland is still out there so who knows and we don't really have the cap room...Reeves is still in Vegas though and Lucic is still in Ed so something might still happen.....with Kadri now with Avs that worries me a lil more...

In the modern day NHL you do not need an "enforcer" anymore, but you do need someone who is willing to stick up for your younger guys and/or drop the gloves on an as-needed basis. We have that in Benn now. Sure he is not known for dropping the mitts, but he loves to hit and is a big dude who can intimidate when needed. This is probably Ferland's last big contract given how physical his game is (body deterioration ala Lucic), so he will probably be looking for way more than we can afford. Mostly because we cannot afford a cup of Top Ramen right now lol. 

2 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

In the modern day NHL you do not need an "enforcer" anymore, but you do need someone who is willing to stick up for your younger guys and/or drop the gloves on an as-needed basis. We have that in Benn now. Sure he is not known for dropping the mitts, but he loves to hit and is a big dude who can intimidate when needed. This is probably Ferland's last big contract given how physical his game is (body deterioration ala Lucic), so he will probably be looking for way more than we can afford. Mostly because we cannot afford a cup of Top Ramen right now lol. 

If Benn can make sure no one takes cheap shots on Hughes and Petey then I'm good....I just don't want to see the Canucks get pushed around....or turning the cheek b.s

enforcer was a poor word choice sorry. I meant heavyweight that would keep players in line

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

If Benn can make sure no one takes cheap shots on Hughes and Petey then I'm good....I just don't want to see the Canucks get pushed around....or turning the cheek b.s

He is not that type at all. Watched him here in Dallas prior to him moving to MTL and that is why the fans loved him. He would stick up for guys if someone like Roussell was not on the ice. He is not going out of his way to fight, but he will as needed and is a low-risk PIM guy due to playing the game cleaner for a big guy.  Think of a poor mans Willie Mitchell who played a physical, yet controlled game and would fight to protect someone. Or if Iginla was on the ice because they hated each other lol. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

With Dzingel still out there and only making $1.8mil, would he be an option at say $2.5 x 3? He is a center who can play wing much like Miller so he would give us more options up and down the lineup. Dude put up 26 Gs between OTT/CBS last season so he can score. He can also play the PK. Damn why can we not get rid of Loui or Sutter?!? We are literally one of them away from a top-6 to play with Bo because I do not trust Baer's concussion history. He is one more headshot or hard hit away from being done. Hope not though. 

Dzingel will get somewhere around twice that amount

• Upvote 1