The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver's sudden increase in size.

Rate this topic

aqua59

2 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Bo had the best season of his career in pretty much every aspect.  Faceoffs, points, you name it.  If his skating was suffering, I didn't see it - if it did, and it improves this year, well, that would be something.

It's not that he was a weak skater, but he used to be good for an end to end rush or two every game and he would always try that toe drag move to beat the defender. He was a very north/south player. So maybe it's just that his game changed/evolved? Maybe he was trying to be more defensively responsible and not wanting to get out of position? 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

It's not that he was a weak skater, but he used to be good for an end to end rush or two every game and he would always try that toe drag move to beat the defender. He was a very north/south player. So maybe it's just that his game changed/evolved? Maybe he was trying to be more defensively responsible and not wanting to get out of position? 

I think that once we lost Sutter and Beagle, he was overburdened by having to take ALL important face offs and be our main shutdown Center. That takes a lot of energy. 

4 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Maybe, but Bo drives a line on his own and I just didn't see his trade mark end to end rushes that we're used to. Maybe he changed his approach up and wanted to use his teammates more? But Bo was probably our best skater and often used his skating as a weapon. I didn't see that as much last year.

61 points tho... I think using his line mates better could be the reason. The guys a bull that can crash the net which is always fun to watch but last season was pretty amazing imo given what he was handed.

Check this out: https://frozenpool.dobberhockey.com/players/bo-horvat

his most frequent line was just 7.5% of his ice time. 10 different line combo's. WTF? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

61 points tho... I think using his line mates better could be the reason. The guys a bull that can crash the net which is always fun to watch but last season was pretty amazing imo given what he was handed.

Check this out: https://frozenpool.dobberhockey.com/players/bo-horvat

his most frequent line was just 7.5% of his ice time. 10 different line combo's. WTF? 

That tells me that boy produced no matter who he plays with 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah its pretty impressive. Normally guys that produce in the 60 point range have regular lines. 

I think Green and Benning were really impressed as well. So much so that they went out and got him help. Interesting thing is the help have very similar attributes. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah its pretty impressive. Normally guys that produce in the 60 point range have regular lines. 

Yup.  Imagine what he will do with an actual 2nd line winger or two now. Bo is still better than whatever linemates we give him, but as has been said he is the kind of guy who makes his linemates better and finds a way to make it work as well as possible.  Wouldn't be surprised to see (expect?) him take yet another obvious step this season, nor surprised to see his linemates prove productive. I can see his style working off Miller's the best and feel Ferland would do best on the top line but whatever.  We have options.

Back to size - the more I look at it, the more I like it. We have very few players who can get pushed around, and for those few we have bigger guys on the same line or pairing. What a difference an offseason can make to dramatically change a team. Last season we played hard but didn't have a lot of size to work with. Not quite timid, but absolutely intimidating in no way. Next season we are going to wreck teams. And the year after if Tryamkin comes back?  Puh-lease.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Yup.  Imagine what he will do with an actual 2nd line winger or two now. Bo is still better than whatever linemates we give him, but as has been said he is the kind of guy who makes his linemates better and finds a way to make it work as well as possible.  Wouldn't be surprised to see (expect?) him take yet another obvious step this season, nor surprised to see his linemates prove productive. I can see his style working off Miller's the best and feel Ferland would do best on the top line but whatever.  We have options.

Back to size - the more I look at it, the more I like it. We have very few players who can get pushed around, and for those few we have bigger guys on the same line or pairing. What a difference an offseason can make to dramatically change a team. Last season we played hard but didn't have a lot of size to work with. Not quite timid, but absolutely intimidating in no way. Next season we are going to wreck teams. And the year after if Tryamkin comes back?  Puh-lease.

I'm very curious about who is the better actual fit with Petey too, Miller or Ferkie. Ferland is a great deterrent presence who can also get to the net and score. Miller isn't a pushover with more skill. I just don't know. I suppose chemistry will decide. Its one of the things I'll be watching for in pre-season, that and what kind of shape Gaudette comes back in. 

• Cheers 2

I wonder how the team will use its size. Will the team play a crushing game or is it simply a deterrent to protect our smaller stars? My guess is Green will likely still coach a "no retribution style" to avoid penalties. And he will want speedy plays rather than finishing checks. I am really looking forward to seeing a new team culture develop. I say go full retribution if the league continues with simple wrist slaps when our stars are viscously targeted.   

On 7/11/2019 at 9:52 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

I think that once we lost Sutter and Beagle, he was overburdened by having to take ALL important face offs and be our main shutdown Center. That takes a lot of energy. 

It was really something how Horvat handled all the work load last year. Very eye opening. He doesn't get near enough credit for what he accomplished last year. Understandable that Petey kinda took the lime light. But the strides Bo made last year were HUGE! No biggie, he only proved that he can hang with the best, win face offs, and carry the team on his back, plus be a sound locker room leader. Can't wait to see the "C" on his chest.

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm very curious about who is the better actual fit with Petey too, Miller or Ferkie. Ferland is a great deterrent presence who can also get to the net and score. Miller isn't a pushover with more skill. I just don't know. I suppose chemistry will decide. Its one of the things I'll be watching for in pre-season, that and what kind of shape Gaudette comes back in. 

I think miller might be a better fit from a scoring perspective but Ferland is a deterrent and can also shoot the puck.Miller might be a better fit with BO.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think miller might be a better fit from a scoring perspective but Ferland is a deterrent and can also shoot the puck.Miller might be a better fit with BO.

nice to finally have some options ^_^

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Also for those games that get a bit nasty we can call up Justin Bailey.. big dude

And Big Mac.

Maybe one of those two make our fourth line to start the season?  Maybe both?  Beagle + Mac + Bailey makes a line around 650 pounds that can all hit, skate, and battle.  Plus, with Beagle winning most draws, they would start with the puck.  The could dump and pound. It would be a meat grinder line.  

With Miller, Bo, Pearson, Ferland, Jake, Beagle, MAC, and Bailey we could have one very big, and very nasty, and very skilled group of forwards.  Then throw in the skill of Petey, Bess, Baer, and Goldy.  And the checking of Sutter and Hockey Gaud.  That’s a really good group. 

There seems to be something special about the way this team is shaping up. I`m not as concerned about the D as I once was. I think Myers, Benn and Fantenberg are great additions, and I`m really excited to see Hughes an Juolevi play.  I can actually see a Top 6 now.

I think the Canucks might have a bit (or lots?) of swagger next season. They`re not going to be pushed around anymore. Big and fast. Bo was incredible last season, took more faceoffs (by a mile) than any other C in the league. (and over 50%)  He also had to play with an array of wingers, but he still produced and keeps getting better. I can`t wait to see how he does with J.T. Miller on his wing. Fast and furious. I also really hope Jake pays attention and learns from Ferland.