The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on how Vancouver stacks up to division rivals

Rate this topic

aqua59

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

So they added 2 of the over the hill gang. 

Sekera? Are you kidding or trolling?

You might want to look at who they lost as well after all one is a prize signing in Toronto. 

Haha yes, a guy that scored 35 goals last year is over the hill.  

You’re talking about them losing Spezza? Are you trolling? 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Haha yes, a guy that scored 35 goals last year is over the hill.  

You’re talking about them losing Spezza? Are you trolling? 

It is all down hill from here for Dallas. Spezza was not all...do your own homework. 

Calgary will drop in the Pacific standings with about 10 less wins from last year, last year was a one off. Goaltending, soft forwards with a solid D won't be enough to repeat those numbers.

LVGK will be a force.

SJS will be there at the end too.

EO forget it!

LAK no way!

AD ya right!

Arizona will be on the rise, but can they get 40 - 45 wins?

With our Canucks I can see 10 more wins than last year with group we have now.

I feel we are in for something special, we finally have a Sheriff in town with a posse to let our stars play their game unlike the great Sedins who were left without protection.

Let the games begin!

29 minutes ago, spur1 said:

It is all down hill from here for Dallas. Spezza was not all...do your own homework. 

I agree while Pavelski , Benn , Seguin etc are quality NHL players the reality is they have a dozen players on the roster on the wrong side of 30 and wait for it, 11 that’s no typo 11 players over age 32. I’m confused if they’re a hockey team or a geriatric ward. 

• Upvote 1

Thatcher Demco will have every opportunity to be a solid backup. Goaltending can’t be forgotten here Both goaltenders should have a team in front of them that gives them some breathing room. Vancouvers goaltending tandem has the potential to be the best in the division. Vancouver’s goaltender have been given the chance to be the strongest in the west. 

Vancouver can pound older teams like San Jose  LA and Anaheim The California teams are old . The pick up of Tanner Pearson can’t be forgotten either. He’s another greasy player. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Nashville 

St Louis 

San Jose 

Calgary 

Winnipeg 

Vegas

Colorado 

Dallas

The real question is, realistically,  which of these playoff teams won't make it next season? 

Winnipeg,  Vegas,  Dallas would be my pre-season picks to take a step back leaving the door open perhaps for......another team to step up.

I don't necessarily agree with a couple of your picks, but this is exactly the problem.. 

in some other thread, I mentioned that if we don't take Pacific 3rd, we could easily miss the show. 

LA, ANA, & MIN should all be awful. and prolly CHI.. who knows with Edmonton.. but Arizona could be challenging as well as the Nucks.. so who drops out? 

I'd guess Nashville & Winnipeg come down a bit, Dallas & Colorado jump up a bit, Vegas & Calgary basically stay the same.. San Jose is a bit of a question mark to me.. as is St Louis.. there's usually a pretty good hangover for teams winning the cup.

They could fall so far behind by Christmas that there's no way they could ev - oh, hold on.. nevermind.. :P

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Given how our team is built we should be ahead of LA, Anaheim, Edmonton and Arizona. We're in the mix with Calgary but I'd still put us behind San Jose and Vegas til proven otherwise. 

it seems like I'm the only one who thinks SJ will be weaker this year.. not that they'll be weaker than Van, but they lost a couple big pieces and their goaltending is SUS-PECT.. it's tough to imagine them not making the post season, but I think they're on the decline

on the other hand, it's only July.. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

it seems like I'm the only one who thinks SJ will be weaker this year.. not that they'll be weaker than Van, but they lost a couple big pieces and their goaltending is SUS-PECT.. it's tough to imagine them not making the post season, but I think they're on the decline

on the other hand, it's only July.. 

I'm not sure what they'll be. Any team with Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic on their back end is a team to be reckoned with though. 

They lost a big piece in Pavelski but he's not getting any younger so that was on the horizon anyway. They'll lose Jumbo eventually too which will be tough to swallow but that's always been on the horizon too. Having so much money tied up in larger contracts will hurt them as those players get older though, especially on D. 

If they're smart, and Doug Wilson is, they'll be looking to retool and inject more talented youth into their roster sooner than later. Easier said than done though. 

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

The most important aspect that we need to look at is the development of the young core. Obviously none of them have reached their potential and this will take time. I think we will be competitive this year but we will only get better in the next couple of seasons and we will gradually grow stronger. Add in a couple of more pieces from the minors and then we will be off and running. Similar to what Colorado is doing. 

The other key element we have is that we have the pieces already in place to help the kids. The bottom 9 were added last year and this year top 6 and D were added.

We also have good competition with our goalies so everything is pointing to continued success as the next few seasons progress.

Barring our usual parade of injuries, we will make the playoffs this year and we will get stronger as our kids gain experience and maturity. JB has built a system in which we should see continued success from here on out for many years to come. :towel::canucks:

Agreed and you’re dead right about the key to it all being the young core.  

The year to year improvement of Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes... plus Jake (and Juolevi) has always been what’s driving the rebuild.  

Thats key to our acquisitions as well.  We aren’t asking Roussel/Beagle/Ferland/Myers/Miller/Benn to come in and save the team.  We don’t need Sutter to be “foundational” any more.  

They just need to do their part to help our young all stars.  

That’s huge.  And fundamentally different to a lot of the “mistakes” we’ve made in the past.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Everyone’s forgetting that San Jose lost Braun as well, who was a staple as a defensive defenseman on their top 4. Tanev is better defensively but worse offensively, so think of a similar caliber loss. With Jones in net, expect some fall because of the lack of defensive defensemen.  

I see the central division shaping up as so:

1) Colorado - 51/26/5 (108 points)

2) Nashville - 47/24/11 (105)

3) Dallas - 45/28/9 (99) 

WC) St. Louis - 44/32/6 (94) 

Chicago falls due to injuries to key guys. 

The pacific is tough to think about. Most teams took a step back, but Van looks to be miles ahead of where they were last year. Vegas lost Miller, and MAF is getting up there in years, they could falter heavily. I think their record will improve slightly with a full season of Stone, though. Arizona is my dark horse team to do well this year. Calgary’s goaltending is sketchy at best, so expect a lot of one goal games and OTL. 

1) Vegas - 48/25/9 (105)

2) Arizona - 46/29/7 (99) 

3) Vancouver - 46/30/6 (98)

WC) Calgary - 41/30/11 (93) 

St. Louis beats Colorado in 7

Nashville beats Dallas in 6

Vegas beats Calgary in 5

Vancouver beats Arizona in 6 

Nashville beats St. Louis in 6 

Vegas beats the inexperienced Canucks in 6 

Nashville beats Vegas in 7 

Nashville loses a chance to hoist lord Stanley’s cup after being destroyed in 5 at the hands of the Bruins 

3 hours ago, spur1 said:

If you're going to make an argument then say it instead of wanting people to be mind readers.  Mats Zuccarello and his 12 goals?  Is that who you're talking about?  

They added Joe Pavelski's 38 goals from last season, I think they'll be fine. 

I know everyone is on the Colorado hype train, but I don't think they're a lock next year. They barely made it on the back of two unreliable win streaks that were separated by terrible hockey. They had no major injuries, but lost any game their top line didn't dominate and Grubauer simply played lights out the last 8 games to get them in. A great series against Calgary, but irrelevant to regular season hockey.

They still lack depth and Grubauer is still an unreliable #1. They're betting on a rookie to command their D-core after only playing 10 games. If any of their top line get injured, those win streaks don't materialize, and Grubauer doesn't get better over 82 games, they could easily miss the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Nashville 

St Louis 

San Jose 

Calgary 

Winnipeg 

Vegas

Colorado 

Dallas

The real question is, realistically,  which of these playoff teams won't make it next season? 

Winnipeg,  Vegas,  Dallas would be my pre-season picks to take a step back leaving the door open perhaps for......another team to step up.

Did dallas lose anyone? They added pavelski. My unpopular opinion is st Louis comes back downto earth. They are at max a wildcard team first round exit imo.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, KanNuck said:

I agree while Pavelski , Benn , Seguin etc are quality NHL players the reality is they have a dozen players on the roster on the wrong side of 30 and wait for it, 11 that’s no typo 11 players over age 32. I’m confused if they’re a hockey team or a geriatric ward. 

Well they almost beat St Louis this year...and added 30 plus goals to their lineup this off season (Pavelski will be fine next year, maybe the year after too).

Their window is now and they know it,  nothing wrong with going for it even if that means the bulk of your offense is coming from guys around 30 plus.  Heck that’s when the Sedins did their most damage too.  Still 11 long tooth guys does make you wonder how they will do on a long playoff run...it’s not like they are the 2002 Wings level skill, or age too (pretty sure the oldest to ever win a cup).  

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Did dallas lose anyone? They added pavelski. My unpopular opinion is st Louis comes back downto earth. They are at max a wildcard team first round exit imo.

Me too.  Don’t see them repeating.  Not sure about the regular season, Binnington has Murray written all over him.

I think our forward group has the potential to be as good as any contenders out there.  Skills, speed and now more grit and size without being a bunch of goons.  If Markstrom stays the course, I think our goaltending is slighty above average, but our advantage is we have a solid young back-up who's eventually going to be a number 1.  Despite being much better, our weakest link is still our backend.   If we lose Edler or Myers for any significant amount of time, the lack of depth will begin to show again.

We need a solid start and bank as much points as we can early on.  I think the Canucks will battle the Shark and Flames for position 2,3,4 in our division.  I think Vegas will win the division, and predicting the Sharks will have a slow start.  They had a tough spring, they lost Pavelski and with Karlsson and Meier extensions will have less money for depth.  Calgary is always up and down, they had a strong season last year, but they still haven't figure out their goaltending and I don't expect Giordano to repeat his Norris season, so i'm predicting they might lose a few points in the standings this year. 

10 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I think our forward group has the potential to be as good as any contenders out there.  Skills, speed and now more grit and size without being a bunch of goons.  If Markstrom stays the course, I think our goaltending is slighty above average, but our advantage is we have a solid young back-up who's eventually going to be a number 1.  Despite being much better, our weakest link is still our backend.   If we lose Edler or Myers for any significant amount of time, the lack of depth will begin to show again.

We need a solid start and bank as much points as we can early on.  I think the Canucks will battle the Shark and Flames for position 2,3,4 in our division.  I think Vegas will win the division, and predicting the Sharks will have a slow start.  They had a tough spring, they lost Pavelski and with Karlsson and Meier extensions will have less money for depth.  Calgary is always up and down, they had a strong season last year, but they still haven't figure out their goaltending and I don't expect Giordano to repeat his Norris season, so i'm predicting they might lose a few points in the standings this year. 

Bolded, I think the whole reason for signing Myers, Benn and Fantenberg was to create more defensive depth than we have had since 2011. If cough cough , when Edler or Tanev go down it wont hurt as much because Myers Benn Fantenberg are better than Hutton Stecher and Biega. Also Biega, Sautner and Brisebois could be called up and actually play bottom 6 minutes instead of the crazy amount of minutes they played last season. I think this has been addressed and dont agree with your point. if you want to say we dont have a defined top 1-2 thats cool but we have at least 4 top 4 D men now. 12 d men that can play at the NHL level.

Edler,

Tanev

Hughes,

Myers

Benn

Stecher

Fantenberg

Biega

Sautner

Brisebois

Juolevi

Possibly Tryamkin

Edited by mikeyman109

28 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Bolded, I think the whole reason for signing Myers, Benn and Fantenberg was to create more defensive depth than we have had since 2011. If cough cough , when Edler or Tanev go down it wont hurt as much because Myers Benn Fantenberg are better than Hutton Stecher and Biega. Also Biega, Sautner and Brisebois could be called up and actually play bottom 6 minutes instead of the crazy amount of minutes they played last season. I think this has been addressed and dont agree with your point. if you want to say we dont have a defined top 1-2 thats cool but we have at least 4 top 4 D men now. 12 d men that can play at the NHL level.

Edler,

Tanev

Hughes,

Myers

Benn

Stecher

Fantenberg

Biega

Sautner

Brisebois

Juolevi

Possibly Tryamkin

Problems with depth on defense is when your top 2 guys goes down, minutes of the 2nd and 3rd pairing goes up by a lot.  That's fine for the short term, but any extended time you start to see breakdowns.  IMO I think you can survive longer without your #1 centerman than your #1 D.  Not to mention that our #1-2 D are more like 3/4 on any contending teams.  All the depth you mentionned is fine if we lose any of our bottom 4 guys, but they won't replace our top 2.

Hughes and Juolevi are wild cards at the moment.  We have seen what Hughes can do on a small sample size, but it's unknown how he will handle an 82 games calendar.  As for Juolevi, we don't know in what shape he is, and how long it will take for him to be NHL ready.  These two can changes the landscape of our defense, if they reach their ceiling, as they are the only one in the short term with legit top 4 capabilities, the others are all depth D IMO.