The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on how Vancouver stacks up to division rivals

Rate this topic

aqua59

One obvious thing to consider is last year the Pacific and the bottom of the West was trash.

This is good and bad. Vancouver did better last year because their division was so bad. This year if the division is just as bad Vancouver will clean up. 

If the division improves, Vancouver will have a harder time.

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

One obvious thing to consider is last year the Pacific and the bottom of the West was trash.

This is good and bad. Vancouver did better last year because their division was so bad. This year if the division is just as bad Vancouver will clean up. 

If the division improves, Vancouver will have a harder time.

We are better than last year, by a lot.  We have our young core guys all with another year of maturity.  Plus we have Quinn Hughes.  He alone will make a huge improvement.  I say Demko takes over the starting role by Christmas.  He makes us better.  We finish no lower than 3rd in our division. 

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

49 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

The biggest key to the success of the Sedin era Nucks was that the team played for eachother.  They went through the wall for eacht other every game.  Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Luongo, The Sedins, Edler, Hamhuis were like brothers on the ice.  Thats what this team needs to gel into.  Skill alone will not lead to success.  Its that X factor of willing to go all out for each other that will take us anywhere. 

If TB beat Boston we’d have picked them apart in five games.  Also if Maholrta was healthy it would have been a different series against Boston.  I 100% agree that it’s the quality of the support players that make a difference and this team has it in spades.   Anything can happen in the next couple of years, you never know.   I bet not many people know that Rousell was better then Boeser 5 x 5 x 60 minutes of play.  We also have JV, LE who statistically was one of the very best PKers in the league ....  our middle six is on the precipice of exploding and that includes Ferland and Miller.  One or two of these guys will make a difference both in the regular season and the playoffs 

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Obvious we are better than last year.

The fact that I don't have to watch Granlund is a step in the right direction. I might actually not go to bed at 9PM on game night.

You will be watch Granny, when we play the Oilers.  :shock:

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You will be watch Granny, when we play the Oilers.  :shock:

He'll be too afraid to step his toe on the ice with our line up. ;)

Besides that'll give me a chance to get a beer or scotch.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 7/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, Fanuck said:

Nashville 

St Louis 

San Jose 

Calgary 

Winnipeg 

Vegas

Colorado 

Dallas

The real question is, realistically,  which of these playoff teams won't make it next season? 

Winnipeg,  Vegas,  Dallas would be my pre-season picks to take a step back leaving the door open perhaps for......another team to step up.

i wouldnt be sold on nashville making the playoffs. The team is on decline. Sanjose and vegas just might squeeze in or out esp san jose after they lost pavelski and thorton is aging and unsigned(thas 115 points out of lineup). San jose still has a really good top 6 but unstable goaltending. Dallas is the team to beat in west this year, their window to win now is there and they have just stacked on an already good team

Edited by Nuck1991

On 7/13/2019 at 5:01 AM, Pete M said:

Considering this:

Canucks finished 12th in the Western Conference with a 35 win - 36 loss - 11 OT/SO loss record (they had 6 SO losses and 5 OT losses)

42 One goals games  (not including empty netters where they  lost/ won game by 2 goals because of the empty netter...for the record, they won 2 games by 2 goals with an empty netter, and lost zero with a empty netter)...so can arguably say they played 44 games where they won/ lost by one goal.

One goal games broken down:

Losses by one goal - 25 games (30.5% of games played lost by one goal)

Regulation loss 14 games

OT loss 5 games

SO loss 6 games

Wins by one goal - 19 games (23% of games played won by one goal)

Regulation win 4 games

OT/SO win 13 games

Empty netter win by 2 goals 2 games

53.5% of games played were either won or lost by one goal....

The Canucks were 10 points out of a playoff spot...they just need to win more of the one goal games to get in ... with the new players, who seem to be better defensively and better offensively, then these close one goal games may be more in the Canucks favour...good teams (good players) find a way to win these one goal games...

keep in mind, we had Gud, Hutton, Pouliot, MDZ playing defense who were very inconsistent and not good defensively....I can see the Canucks winning more of these one goal games and winning more games by more than one goal, than the other way around where they lose more. As a result, they'll make the playoffs as a 3rd place team in the Division or a wild card team in the Conference.

Agree fully with an earlier post > this was an equal parts encouraging, educational & very fun post to read. Great work!

It also speaks to how well Green constructed wins from tight games. Constructed wins from games we probably might have been overmatched?

Hence experts still not picking us, even with an improved line up.

Pluck 'em, I say our odds are pretty good!  :gocan: 

55 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Actually they were only 11-14-4 against the Pacific, winning just 1 game out of 8 played against Arizona and Anaheim (4 out of a possible 16 points), yet had a winning record against the vaunted Central.  If we'd just won 2 more each against those two teams instead of losing, we'd have finished one point behind Colorado.  Only had 2 months out of 7 with a losing record, Nov and Feb, largely due to injuries.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2019_standings.html

With LA, Anaheim, and Edmonton going nowhere, Calgary treading water at best, and San Jose and Vegas with questions we should certainly do better in the Pacific.  Having even an "average" level of injuries would also make a significant difference overall.

Good analysis.  Fact is, we were already an almost decent team last year, and would have been in the thick of it if it weren't for those injury-induced bad months.  With this summer's upgrades and deeper depth, we are poised to get to the next level.  I am particularly encouraged by our record against Colorado and Calgary last year, but we definitely need to turn it around against Arizona, Anaheim, Winnipeg and Vegas.  At least we have the size and speed to go toe to toe with those last two now. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Agree fully with an earlier post > this was an equal parts encouraging, educational & very fun post to read. Great work!

It also speaks to how well Green constructed wins from tight games. Constructed wins from games we probably might have been overmatched?

Teams we did not take a point off of in 2018/19

Wash 

WPG

NYI

NJD

MTL 

CAR

Even just an OT Loss to these teams would produce 6 more points 

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's too far fetched to say we could compete for the division. I think our line-up's improved drastically over last year. The difference three players will make is huge (Ferland, Myers, and Miller). I felt like last year it was hard to justify our top-6. We were basically filling it winger positions with bottom 6 forwards. Especially when you think about Horvat's line. Now, we've picked up 2 players who are in my opinion sure-fire top-6 guys in Miller and Ferland. All of the sudden, you have third line players (Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Virtanen) playing on the third line, without the pressure and responsibilities of the second-line. Then when injuries hit (and they will hit) you have some backup.

I think having those improvements allows us to compete with Calgary and Edmonton. I think San Jose will be good but not great. Vegas will decline, Az could do a bit of damage, but I think we're the better team Overall. LA, Ana will be bottom feeders. I think it'll be very close by the end of the season between Calgary, Edm, SJ, Vegas and the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I also remember the Canucks entering the 3rd period tied or with the lead only to lose the game...these games, TG shortened the bench and played to hold the lead, when in hind sight, he should have kept the pedal to the metal and kept playing with an aggressive forecheck to try and extend the lead.

With the new steady defensive "D", and mobile offensive "D" and the improved forward group, TG may be more willing to keep the pedal to the metal and go for the win by playing a more "fire wagon" game with an aggressive forecheck.

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 2

Canucks now have a real Top 6 with speed, size and skill. They also upgraded the D, a lot.

Out - Hutton, Pouliot, Gudbranson, Schenn

In - Hughes, Myers, Benn, Fantenberg, Juolevi

I think they`ll be a fast and furious team, that will come at opponents in waves. They now have good depth, and I love that they also have other good prospects chomping at the bit to get in (Juolevi, Gaudette, MacEwen, Bailey).

I like to think the Canucks will win out of the gate, and keep winning. They will have nights when they stumble, and injuries will happen, but then by Christmas Roussel will return to give the team a spark, and Juolevi could step in. Maybe the injuries aren`t as bad this season? Tanev could play in the bottom pairing, to keep him healthy. Good to have depth. The Canucks are also a bigger, stronger team.     

Edited by NUCKER67

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks now have a real Top 6 with speed, size and skill. They also upgraded the D, a lot.

Out - Hutton, Pouliot, Gudbranson, Schenn

In - Hughes, Myers, Benn, Fantenberg, Juolevi

I think they`ll be a fast and furious team, that will come at opponents in waves. They now have good depth, and I love that they also have other good prospects chomping at the bit to get in (Juolevi, Gaudette, MacEwen, Bailey).

I like to think the Canucks will win out of the gate, and keep winning. They will have nights when they stumble, and injuries will happen, but then by Christmas Roussel will return to give the team a spark, and Juolevi could step in. Maybe the injuries aren`t as bad this season? Tanev could play in the bottom pairing, to keep him healthy. Good to have depth. The Canucks are also a bigger, stronger team.     

bolded i think is an important point. Its not about size as a weapon to hit the other team but to survive the other team hitting us. If the minutes are reduced a bit Tanev and Edler may not get hurt like inn the past and even if they do I like having Myers and Benn in their place instead of Hutton and Stecher.

The forwards up front are bigger as well and that can be imposing on smaller players like a Gaudreau or a Debrincat. Im looking forward to us pushing some of the teams around the way we have been the last few seasons

• Upvote 2

Canucks used to be up against bigger, tougher teams in California. It`s always a really tough test. But I feel now they can compete with any of the bigger teams in the physical department. SJ, ANA and LA all seem to be headed towards declining hard IMO. CGY and VGK didn't do much to improve. EDM doesn`t look very good on paper, yet. Not really concerned with ARI, they got Kessel, but he won`t be enough in the tough West.

Myers, Miller and Ferland are all entering their prime. I think the Canucks challenge for the Division title this year.    

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:52 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

Highly dependent on how big of a step Pettersson takes forward in his development and with the opposition likely hyperfocused on him, it'll be interesting to see. I think we leapfrog the Coyotes, but that's about it. Our defense doesn't stack up with the top three.

I actually see Horvat taking another step next year, because of the focus on Pettersson. I think we'll see more of the same Pettersson this year, which will be great. His peak is coming. But, I think Bo will be playing with better players this year, and if he is healthy all year, has a shot at being a top 5 defensive center. That's my hot take for the evening. 

There will be injuries and not because of any Canuck luck or curse but because it is a very demanding game.

When we make the playoffs this year, not only can anything happen, but we are much better prepared for these demands.

We have 2 good tenders, 6 good defensemen, and 12 good forwards for balance and flexibility.

We also have a trove of fast, talented, and tough players in the minors chafing at the bit for their chance.

Most improved team this year and the team nobody wants to meet in the playoffs.

19 hours ago, WiDeN said:

I actually see Horvat taking another step next year, because of the focus on Pettersson. I think we'll see more of the same Pettersson this year, which will be great. His peak is coming. But, I think Bo will be playing with better players this year, and if he is healthy all year, has a shot at being a top 5 defensive center. That's my hot take for the evening. 

That's a fair point. Horvat could very well hit 70 points this year if all goes well. 

• Upvote 2