Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Jake needs a lot more than 14 days to get “conditioned”

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I like this lineup best, from what I've seen in pre-season and from the viewpoint of team culture/development.  

I think Gaudette has to make this team, or it will be sending a message to the whole organization that preparation and performance don't matter.

Given the (hate to say it) fragility of Sutter and Baertschi, there are good reasons to carry an extra center/forward out of camp.  Which is what we're doing keeping Motte or Leivo when we know Roussel is coming back in a while.

Eriksson is done.  Goldobin has earned his chance to go through waivers.  If they aren't picked up, we can do something with them later, although I think Eriksson is not going to be seen much more than we saw Gagner last year.

Pearson and Leivo didn't do much this camp, but I think they are seen as better keepers than Goldobin or Eriksson.  TBH, if either of Pearson or Leivo were eating up much cap space I think they'd be waived, as they were practically invisible.  Goldobin looked better than both for a good chunk of the pre-season. 

Such is myth.  Players aren't stupid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We don't have someone as obvious as Gagner to be sent down...

I can pretty easily name 3 someones...:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I can pretty easily name 3 someones...:ph34r:

Erikksomeone

• Haha 4

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Erikksomeone

Goldobsomeone

i would wave goldobin, either schaller or eriksson and send gaudette to utica to start the season. adam should have a nhl career but later this season.

we all have our opinions, and as you can see they don’t all match. managements opinions may be different too. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, stawns said:

On what grounds?

Vegas Knights are experts at using this loophole to get around roster limits on a temporary basis. Easy enough to make up a  strained back or knee strain. Virtanen is probably going to spend the first 2 weeks of the season in the press box anyway, might as well loan him to Utica.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Vegas Knights are experts at using this loophole to get around roster limits on a temporary basis. Easy enough to make up a  strained back or knee strain. Virtanen is probably going to spend the first 2 weeks of the season in the press box anyway, might as well loan him to Utica.

Why would he?

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i think that they know that quinn will struggle somewhat but his skill set is so high, they will live with his development. 

Not unexpected at all.  Early last season Rasmus Dahlin had many games in which he struggled, and delivered up pizzas that would astonish even the hardest-core Sbisa haters.  Like with Gaudette, the question becomes where he is better-served in his development -- the AHL or NHL.  It could be well-argued the latter for both.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would he?

Maybe just to pave over a bad impression made with coach Green. Show some commitment .

47 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Erikksomeone

Whoui? Eriksomeone...

17 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Maybe just to pave over a bad impression made with coach Green. Show some commitment .

Green knows exactly what Virt brings and sees him as an important element on the team.  That said, it wouldn't be out of character for green to send a message by sitting him for a game, regardless if it's justified or not 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Green knows exactly what Virt brings and sees him as an important element on the team.  That said, it wouldn't be out of character for green to send a message by sitting him for a game, regardless if it's justified or not 

He knows excatly what Virt CAN bring

7 minutes ago, Conscience said:

He knows excatly what Virt CAN bring

And I'm sure he will.  A lot of hand wringing try his pre-season.......again, pre-season

• Hydration 1

just a guess not an opinion:

Gaudette stays, likely move is Sutter to his wing or on 4th line wing

TG likes Motte, he is staying

Jake stays but sits at least 1st game

14F 7D to start season

Assuming no trades:

Ferland/EP/Brock

Pearson/Horvat/Miller (seemed to be put together alot in preseason)

Baer/AG/Sutter (or Leivo)

Motte/Beagle/Leivo (or Sutter)

Fantenberg stays if healthy and Biega is waived

Goldy is waived if he can't be traded

LE stays but sits in pressbox with JV

Other thoughts:

Hopeful Quinn Hughes is as good as he flashes but concerned he's already being anointed in the "core 4"

Pearson will be an early casualty if his game doesn't improve from preseason

Troy Stetcher is underrated by his coach (speaking of which, I'm not sold on Baumgartner, not sure why)

Can't wait for the season to start!

7 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

just a guess not an opinion:

Gaudette stays, likely move is Sutter to his wing or on 4th line wing

TG likes Motte, he is staying

Jake stays but sits at least 1st game

14F 7D to start season

Assuming no trades:

Ferland/EP/Brock

Pearson/Horvat/Miller (seemed to be put together alot in preseason)

Baer/AG/Sutter (or Leivo)

Motte/Beagle/Leivo (or Sutter)

Fantenberg stays if healthy and Biega is waived

Goldy is waived if he can't be traded

LE stays but sits in pressbox with JV

Other thoughts:

Hopeful Quinn Hughes is as good as he flashes but concerned he's already being anointed in the "core 4"

Pearson will be an early casualty if his game doesn't improve from preseason

Troy Stetcher is underrated by his coach (speaking of which, I'm not sold on Baumgartner, not sure why)

Can't wait for the season to start!

If anything they move AG to the wing........3rd line cman is a spot that you have to have someone who can go up against top 6 players on other teams......not just on faceoffs, but in the defensive zone as well.

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If anything they move AG to the wing........3rd line cman is a spot that you have to have someone who can go up against top 6 players on other teams......not just on faceoffs, but in the defensive zone as well.

I don't disagree.  I think that is a good reason to have Sutter on his line at C/W  and gradually give AG more responsibility at C after seeing how much he can handle.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

I don't disagree.  I think that is a good reason to have Sutter on his line at C/W  and gradually give AG more responsibility at C after seeing how much he can handle.

For me, if hes not ready to play C in the NHL, he should be in Utica developing into the top 6 cman they need him to be.  He's a cman, he should be developed as such.

He's a much more valuable chip as a developed top 6 cman than he is as a top 9 winger.  There's no need to force him into the lineup because he had a good pre-season, they are deep at centre and have the luxury of letting him cook.  That is the smartest move, imo 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MeManifesto said:

Baertschi was more impressive than Pearson in every way. Id trade P, someone would want him. 

I agree, though it's nice to have TP's size and durability in the lineup.  Baer is one of my favourite players, but that's a big gamble on his health