The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Green knows exactly what Virt brings and sees him as an important element on the team.  That said, it wouldn't be out of character for green to send a message by sitting him for a game, regardless if it's justified or not 

He knows excatly what Virt CAN bring

just a guess not an opinion:

Gaudette stays, likely move is Sutter to his wing or on 4th line wing

TG likes Motte, he is staying

Jake stays but sits at least 1st game

14F 7D to start season

Assuming no trades:

Ferland/EP/Brock

Pearson/Horvat/Miller (seemed to be put together alot in preseason)

Baer/AG/Sutter (or Leivo)

Motte/Beagle/Leivo (or Sutter)

Fantenberg stays if healthy and Biega is waived

Goldy is waived if he can't be traded

LE stays but sits in pressbox with JV

Other thoughts:

Hopeful Quinn Hughes is as good as he flashes but concerned he's already being anointed in the "core 4"

Pearson will be an early casualty if his game doesn't improve from preseason

Troy Stetcher is underrated by his coach (speaking of which, I'm not sold on Baumgartner, not sure why)

Can't wait for the season to start!

7 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

just a guess not an opinion:

Gaudette stays, likely move is Sutter to his wing or on 4th line wing

TG likes Motte, he is staying

Jake stays but sits at least 1st game

14F 7D to start season

Assuming no trades:

Ferland/EP/Brock

Pearson/Horvat/Miller (seemed to be put together alot in preseason)

Baer/AG/Sutter (or Leivo)

Motte/Beagle/Leivo (or Sutter)

Fantenberg stays if healthy and Biega is waived

Goldy is waived if he can't be traded

LE stays but sits in pressbox with JV

Other thoughts:

Hopeful Quinn Hughes is as good as he flashes but concerned he's already being anointed in the "core 4"

Pearson will be an early casualty if his game doesn't improve from preseason

Troy Stetcher is underrated by his coach (speaking of which, I'm not sold on Baumgartner, not sure why)

Can't wait for the season to start!

If anything they move AG to the wing........3rd line cman is a spot that you have to have someone who can go up against top 6 players on other teams......not just on faceoffs, but in the defensive zone as well.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If anything they move AG to the wing........3rd line cman is a spot that you have to have someone who can go up against top 6 players on other teams......not just on faceoffs, but in the defensive zone as well.

I don't disagree.  I think that is a good reason to have Sutter on his line at C/W  and gradually give AG more responsibility at C after seeing how much he can handle.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

I don't disagree.  I think that is a good reason to have Sutter on his line at C/W  and gradually give AG more responsibility at C after seeing how much he can handle.

For me, if hes not ready to play C in the NHL, he should be in Utica developing into the top 6 cman they need him to be.  He's a cman, he should be developed as such.

He's a much more valuable chip as a developed top 6 cman than he is as a top 9 winger.  There's no need to force him into the lineup because he had a good pre-season, they are deep at centre and have the luxury of letting him cook.  That is the smartest move, imo 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MeManifesto said:

Baertschi was more impressive than Pearson in every way. Id trade P, someone would want him. 

I agree, though it's nice to have TP's size and durability in the lineup.  Baer is one of my favourite players, but that's a big gamble on his health

12 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

hey facepalm guy, answer me this, is Pearson a legit top six player, Eriksson is a better penalty killer than Pearson.  If I want to see a line of Baertschi   Gaudette   Miller, where would you play Sutter?  

he was on the kings  with carter and tofoli  so top 6 yes  ,  Eriksson  isn't top 6 or9 or 12 so if all he can do is kill penalties  he is pretty much not worth a spot at all , and your not gonna see gaudette  right off the start on the team   , sutter will be on the 3rd or fourth line where he belongs , till the team creates room by waiving schaller goldy and loui  and this is why you get 2 face palms now  :picard::picard: 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i would wave goldobin, either schaller or eriksson and send gaudette to utica to start the season. adam should have a nhl career but later this season.

we all have our opinions, and as you can see they don’t all match. managements opinions may be different too. 

Well put.  Re: management: they are pretty interesting as a group.  Keeping up McCann and Virtanen that year was an eye-opener for a lot of us.  And moving Gagner down and out...  And picking up 2 top-9 wingers in one off season.  (Beat Edmonton to the mark on this one.) 

4 minutes ago, J-P said:

Don’t get the rational for people saying AG could/should play wing. He’s spent 0 shifts this preseason at wing, not happening. 

me either.  hes going to be a C long term for the team so that will be where he plays.  If he stays itll probably shift Sutter to the wing, which suits his game a little better anyways

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

For me, if hes not ready to play C in the NHL, he should be in Utica developing into the top 6 cman they need him to be.  He's a cman, he should be developed as such.

He's a much more valuable chip as a developed top 6 cman than he is as a top 9 winger.  There's no need to force him into the lineup because he had a good pre-season, they are deep at centre and have the luxury of letting him cook.  That is the smartest move, imo 

As they did with Kesler in 04-05. He had been up the previous year but really hadn't done much. Sent back to Manitoba, he discovered his "beast mode" scoring 30 goals with 28 assists, plus 22 in the season and formed the chemistry with Burrows that followed them onto the big club for almost a decade.

And when you listen to Benning or to Green, they have consistently said that Gaudette is a centre, so I can't see them playing him as a bottom six winger.

Do they see his upside as a potential second line Center? If so send him to Utica and let him hone his skills on the first line working some chemistry with Lind or MacEwen or some other young prospect.

The development of our young wingers in Utica has suffered somewhat by the lack of skilled centers. Remedy this with Gaudette being there and it's a win-win for both him and the team.

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1