The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Zack Kassian the least skilled player to play with the most skilled players ever?

Rate this topic

Goat James

1 hour ago, BrockBoester said:

Guess we should have kept Cody Hodgson and Jordan Schroeder too eh?

And Cam Neely, for that matter!

No to coho and schroeder...

Yes of course to Neely.  Thanks for the great insight.

Fact is Kass was traded for broken down old damaged goods.  Weak trade that gave the club nothing. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Fact is Kass was traded for broken down old damaged goods.  Weak trade that gave the club nothing. 

Brandon Prust? He was a beast, bro

Here's a vid of him getting rocked by Rick Rypien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLdMZf9LuFI

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Come on Kassian was broken goods for years - including when he played for us. I’m happy for him for keeping his career (it definitely was I doubt in MTL), Prust might have been done when he came here but he also had a lot of travesty in his career too.   After a fight when he plays in CAL, he literally had to hold his face in place while he waited to take a flight back home in the US, his jaw and cheekbone was broken - the trainer gave him some painkillers which weren’t close to enough and when he took his hands away from his face it literally slid down on one side - he scared people in the airport that saw this.   Bet not many fans know this - he was a warrior that regularly fought guys ways bigger then him.  At the time Kassian was a mess - and it only got worse after we traded him - where as Prust wasn’t much different then Dorsett / his career was almost over though.

Happy he turned it around- and that he’s still playing, but at the time it was doubtful and MTL didnt get any value in the long run either.  

Dont you remember why we trade Kassian in the first place?  He was a total mess.   

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Come on Kassian was broken goods for years - including when he played for us. I’m happy for him for keeping his career (it definitely was I doubt in MTL), Prust might have been done when he came here but he also had a lot of travesty in his career too.   After a fight when he plays in CAL, he literally had to hold his face in place while he waited to take a flight back home in the US, his jaw and cheekbone was broken - the trainer gave him some painkillers which weren’t close to enough and when he took his hands away from his face it literally slid down on one side - he scared people in the airport that saw this.   Bet not many fans know this - he was a warrior that regularly fought guys ways bigger then him.  At the time Kassian was a mess - and it only got worse after we traded him - where as Prust wasn’t much different then Dorsett / his career was almost over though.

Happy he turned it around- and that he’s still playing, but at the time it was doubtful and MTL didnt get any value in the long run either.  

Dont you remember why we trade Kassian in the first place?  He was a total mess.   

Yes, Kass's life was a mess when we had him.

Yes, Kass with his great skill set had some real upside though.  I would have liked to seen the Canucks suspending him for a solid 12 months . Time for him to get the counselling / addiction work that he obviously needed...  

Trading him for scraps really got our club nothing in exchange for him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Prust's battles with Rypien were so much fun to watch. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Just saw this.   Was wondering if anyone else remembers the year he played most of it 5 x 5 with Bure..think he scored 16 goals (didn’t check) a regular top six guy would have scored 35 plus - Bure was always trying to set him up and he did - seemed like every game and man he whiffed on a lot of open nets... also think Bure could have easily scored ten or fifteen more goals himself that year ... was hard to watch ...

I don't know. True someone else might have added more hockey wise, but his teammates and the fans loved him. He and Bure had something special- Gino named his kid Bure! Here's a vid showing how much most of us loved him.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just about all of the Sedins' former linemates. Cowen, Pyatt, Byron Bitz...

That was a time when you could still make it in the NHL with absolutely zero attributes apart from being a big tough guy.

You dare sully the name of the Brabarian??!

Also you forgot Jason King (who is now assistant coach in Utica which I was completely unaware of) and Anson Carter (who now owns a record label, which I was also completely unaware of) XD

On 9/16/2019 at 7:56 PM, The Game said:

The talk out of Edmonton is that Kassian is gonna get to play with McDavid and Draisaitl, and it got me thinking; when he was here he often got to play with the Sedins. Can anyone think of a worse player who got to play with better players? 

Semenko

20 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, Kass's life was a mess when we had him.

Yes, Kass with his great skill set had some real upside though.  I would have liked to seen the Canucks suspending him for a solid 12 months . Time for him to get the counselling / addiction work that he obviously needed...  

Trading him for scraps really got our club nothing in exchange for him. 

To be fair, it took more than 12 months for him to resurface.

And its not like he ever lived up to expectations, before or after. He was always going to be an NHL player, not fringe guy. Too much size & speed. Always a place to deploy him. Better guy than given credit for? But also did not maximise his career.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

To be fair, it took more than 12 months for him to resurface.

And its not like he ever lived up to expectations, before or after. He was always going to be an NHL player, not fringe guy. Too much size & speed. Always a place to deploy him. Better guy than given credit for? But also did not maximise his career.

Not sure if trading a guy from ( Vancouver - no fun city ) to Montreal . ( Canada's top party city ) was really fair to guy trying to beat substance abuse.......

I would have suspended him and let him properly  deal with his issues...... 

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

Prust might have been done when he came here but he also had a lot of travesty in his career too.   After a fight when he plays in CAL, he literally had to hold his face in place while he waited to take a flight back home in the US, his jaw and cheekbone was broken - the trainer gave him some painkillers which weren’t close to enough and when he took his hands away from his face it literally slid down on one side - he scared people in the airport that saw this. 

Was this with the Canucks?

Disgraceful wherever it was! Treat your warriors with respect, medical help to the Nth degree.  That was not acceptable!

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Not sure if trading a guy from ( Vancouver - no fun city ) to Montreal . ( Canada's top party city ) was really fair to guy trying to beat substance abuse.......

I would have suspended him and let him properly  deal with his issues...... 

We had no option to trade him to Vegas? They were not around. There are bigger party stops on the tour than Montreal. And you could make one, if you wanted to, anytime with the money these guys make.

LA seems as they had poolside binge parties before and after games. Its team way too casual, inconsistent, even when they were good. My guess as to worst location. Ask Mike Richards, Jaret Stoll?

An addict will be an addict. In small town Sask, or big lights. Regardless which city.  Benning mentioned he had been through Stage 1, unknown to public, while he was here.  Clearly dispatched with discosure to Bergevin. Or we would have had better compensation. And Zach also had conversations with Montreal? Or he would have had more rope. 

ATEOTD he's playing again.

Curious if he can hang on to the wing position before Yamamoto, or more likely Tyler Benson grabs it?

22 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We had no option to trade him to Vegas? They were not around. There are bigger party stops on the tour than Montreal. And you could make one, if you wanted to, anytime with the money these guys make.

LA seems as they had poolside binge parties before and after games. Its team way too casual, inconsistent, even when they were good. My guess as to worst location. Ask Mike Richards, Jaret Stoll?

An addict will be an addict. In small town Sask, or big lights. Regardless which city.  Benning mentioned he had been through Stage 1, unknown to public, while he was here.  Clearly dispatched with discosure to Bergevin. Or we would have had better compensation. And Zach also had conversations with Montreal? Or he would have had more rope. 

ATEOTD he's playing again.

Curious if he can hang on to the wing position before Yamamoto, or more likely Tyler Benson grabs it?

I always like cheer for guys that battle their demons and  make comebacks.   Great to see him doing well in the show and sober.

Must be tough to be young kid in the show with those paychecks... I  imagine there is a crowd of bad people trying to take advantage of these young guys...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1