The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extinction Rebellion - More Traffic Disruption Planned For Vancouver Friday

DonLever

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/extinction-rebellion-protesters-block-traffic-on-busy-bridges-across-canada-1.4627152

Climate change activists Extinction Rebellion have organized a series of protests to block busy bridges to traffic across Canada.

The environmental campaigners, known as XR, seek to draw attention to the “climate emergency” and want to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2025.

It plans to shut down some of Canada's busiest bridges on Monday, in line with protests around the world; including the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge over Halifax Harbour, the Burrard Street bridge in Vancouver and the Prince Edward Viaduct in Toronto, by having protesters lie down or sit in traffic lanes, according to The Canadian Press.

Edit:

If you think this is the end of protests, think again as we will see further blockades and protests.   It will continue fo a long time.   Will it anger more people?; we will see.

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2019/10/08/extinction-rebellion-says-it-will-escalate-protests-following-mondays-blockades.html

VANCOUVER—The Vancouver chapter of Extinction Rebellion, a global environmental action network, says it plans to continue its protests until its demands are met.

The group in Vancouver started about six months ago, and is part of the global Extinction Rebellion that started in the United Kingdom last year. It made headlines Monday as chapters in major cities across the world blockaded bridges stopping only after police arrested some of the activists. In Canada, chapters in Toronto, Edmonton, Halifax and Victoria also set up blockades.

“Escalation is definitely the name of the game, this is not a one-time thing,” said Maayan Kreitzman, a member who helped co-ordinate the occupation of Vancouver’s Burrard Street Bridge.

The larger movement, also known as XR, now has chapters in about 50 countries. The group said the protests Monday were taking place in 60 cities worldwide.

“We can’t afford to lose time anymore with just one-off marches, and going home and everybody forgets about it. Extinction Rebellion is about sustained organizing as well as mass mobilization and that’s what’s going to bring us success,” said Kreitzman.

In Vancouver, the occupation of the Burrard Street Bridge lasted about 15 hours, and shut down traffic on the bridge connecting the downtown core to Vancouver’s west-side and its beaches.

In what Kreitzman called a “rebellious celebration of life,” 10 people were arrested at the end of the demonstration.

“We’re feeling really positively overwhelmed by it. We’re feeling really happy about it,” Kreitzman said. “It ended in a really beautiful way. The 10 arrests that we had were accompanied by ceremony and song.”

Edited by DonLever

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I sympathize with the sentiment but I don't see how making regular people late for school and/or work is constructive. They should have shut down legislatures instead. 

Not only that but I imagine this is leading to a lot of idling cars waiting in traffic and what are they arguing for again?  

• Cheers 1

I don't see how it's a protest when the government is on board. We already know there's a problem, we get it! It's time to work on viable solutions with India and China - create workable economic solutions or those countries will never get on board.

This is 90% well meaning and caring people and 10% children whining. We get it, lets figure something out now. But this isn't about that I'm afraid, it's about virtue signalling governments trying to stay in power, acting like they give a s*&t. The fact is there are no viable solutions. Electric cars? Batteries will be the new biggest pollutant, both in waste and mining / unsustainable logistics. Wind energy? The logistics of amount of area needed, coupled with power grid infrastructure, bye bye trees. What about hydro? What about the fish?

My vote - Thorium Reactors for energy and off planet Asteroid mining for precious metals, and we just have to be as efficient as possible until then.

The time for complaining is over, if half of these people got into the engineering sector, we could see a huge difference. Bah.. *rant over.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Not only that but I imagine this is leading to a lot of idling cars waiting in traffic and what are they arguing for again?  

yeah i just don't see how this is going to get more support from regular folks. But on the other hand something needs to happen I guess.... 

I also don't understand why we don't do this for better housing in Canada. 

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

I would actually be okay if they did this on a regular basis and actually shed light on various govts doing nothing to stop climate change.  Look at Hong Kong and their protesters.  You have to go out there every day to send an actual message.  A one-off like this won't do anything.

But JT was literally AT one of these protests the other day. A protest is to alert the powers that be to an issue.. Like I said above, the governments support the protestors.. Ok, so what now? Everyone can go home, get on their computers and phones to blog about how good they feel about themselves.

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I sympathize with the sentiment but I don't see how making regular people late for school and/or work is constructive. They should have shut down legislatures instead. 

I too sympathize, but same as you, I don't agree with this particular form of protest. All the resulting idling and re-routing contributes to carbon usage.

• Upvote 2

just bunch of people who do not have real jobs, living in has tenants  acting up. SERIOUSLY if you want to protest go march up in Victoria or city hall. DOnt block a bridge and make people late for work school appointsment or other things that normal people do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As somebody that it prioritizing environment in my voting this month even I don't agree with this. It is not the fault of all those people trying to get to work. If anything you may be hindering the cause as other have alluded to with the car idling but also how many people in that line up are now so pissed off that they won't vote for the environment in the upcoming election? They could swing some votes the opposite way.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

As somebody that it prioritizing environment in my voting this month even I don't agree with this. It is not the fault of all those people trying to get to work. If anything you may be hindering the cause as other have alluded to with the car idling but also how many people in that line up are now so pissed off that they won't vote for the environment in the upcoming election? They could swing some votes the opposite way.

Hopefully they do change votes. Concerning how so many want to kill the Canadian economy. Thank god the majority of Canadians aren't as dumb, that's shown by the very low support for the ndp and greens. May is a complete tool.

• Upvote 2