The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discuss] Markstrom's Future

Rate this topic

86Viking

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Demko is the best to keep over Marky.  I have no doubt about that.  However, that makes Demko way more valuable in trade too.  Goalies can perform at a high level until their mid 30s.  I'd say Marky looks like he has the competitive spirit to do that.  As for Dipietro, we don't know what we have, but I would think Ian Clarke would have a good idea if we do.  

Well, I understand that Markstrom since him rookie season has 1 season (last) that was above average.

All the rest really have not been great...….that is history...…..like real history of his play

Demko was ranked the best goalie in the draft and drafted as the 2nd best

He then anchored the USA  U20

Then anchored his college team

Then jumped to Utica

and then the Canucks

Now I will be the first to admit the sample size is not great, but his stats do not lie

His historical progression has been outstanding

and his NHL stats, minus one game have been elite.....elite!

That is what you want from your goalie....

Now by your argument, that would be 10 years of having an elite goalie

Isn't that better than 2 to 5 years?

If you think Markstrom would play longer than 5 years....

Well than use that argument on Demko

It is an easy decision for me

Look at the teams that have had a great goalie for years.....

Always in contention....you don't throw that away

I will add this...……...elite goalies do not usually become elite at 30 years of age

Other than Thomas, I do not know any

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I understand that Markstrom since him rookie season has 1 season (last) that was above average.

All the rest really have not been great...….that is history...…..like real history of his play

Demko was ranked the best goalie in the draft and drafted as the 2nd best

He then anchored the USA  U20

Then anchored his college team

Then jumped to Utica

and then the Canucks

Now I will be the first to admit the sample size is not great, but his stats do not lie

His historical progression has been outstanding

and his NHL stats, minus one game have been elite.....elite!

That is what you want from your goalie....

Now by your argument, that would be 10 years of having an elite goalie

Isn't that better than 2 to 5 years?

If you think Markstrom would play longer than 5 years....

Well than use that argument on Demko

It is an easy decision for me

Look at the teams that have had a great goalie for years.....

Always in contention....you don't throw that away

We agree.  I just think if we are trading a goalie, we trade Demko because he will return value we can use.  I don't think (even signed) Marky has that trade value.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We agree.  I just think if we are trading a goalie, we trade Demko because he will return value we can use.  I don't think (even signed) Marky has that trade value.  

Hey, Alf

I added on to my last comment

take a look at the end of it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

Can't even use the words elite and Marky in the same sentence until he's at least gottin us into the play offs and won us a round or two

Not necessarily.  Luongo was considered elite before we got him and he never got the panthers to the playoffs- and Gibson is close to the same things already now in ANA - but yeah I get what you mean...

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, cuporbust said:

As he should. Markstrom has earned it . Worked his ass off to get to where he is ( not saying you disagree). 

Looks like Markstrom can be a legit #1 for us . Regardless of the struggles he may or may not have in the future, we now know he has it in him to be consistent.  I would lock him up to a 4 year deal, trade Demmer and keep dipietro. 

I can see this happening, but I have a gut feeling he walks at the end of the season and takes a 7-8 year deal to the highest bidder.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not necessarily.  Luongo was considered elite before we got him and he never got the panthers to the playoffs- and Gibson is close to the same things already now in ANA - but yeah I get what you mean...

we will agree to disagree, my opinion, I do not call a goalie elite until they make the play offs and even win a round or two. Elite is a special label for a select number of goalies. I never thought Luongo was elite until he came to Vancouver

I think at this point if Markstrom has truly evolved into a number one...and it kind of looks like he actually has, the organization would be foolish to toss him aside.

If the Bishop deal is any indication i'd be comfortable at 5ish for 5-6 years (maybe with a few hundreds in there for inflation).  That'd bring us through his prime and give our D some breathing room while they mature into the blueline we need them to be for the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Industrious1 said:

I think at this point if Markstrom has truly evolved into a number one...and it kind of looks like he actually has, the organization would be foolish to toss him aside.

If the Bishop deal is any indication i'd be comfortable at 5ish for 5-6 years (maybe with a few hundreds in there for inflation).  That'd bring us through his prime and give our D some breathing room while they mature into the blueline we need them to be for the playoffs.

If we sign Marky to a 5 year term what do we do with Demko?  IMO we’d have to trade him for sure.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we sign Marky to a 5 year term what do we do with Demko?  IMO we’d have to trade him for sure.  

We can still keep Demko, expansion draft is still almost 2 years away. After next year we can sign demko to a deal similar to Schneider, was it a 3 yr 12m or something? Then you run them both more evenly the year prior to expansion draft. say 50games Marky the Rest demko. After that year you determine if there is a clear difference in G and who you see as your #1 then leave the other G exposed for the taking I guess...or trade the other G?

• Upvote 2

There are two questions I would have.

If we lose a goalie to expansion, who does that allow us to keep that we would have otherwise lost from another roster position?

If we lose a goalie to expansion who would qualify as our next backup( an under rated position for a bubble team)

Right now markstrom is the better goaltender. But TD is the more valuable commodity to the organization.

No way we don't protect him if both àre around for expansion. 

An accurate assessment of what goalies will be available is crucial.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

There are two questions I would have.

If we lose a goalie to expansion, who does that allow us to keep that we would have otherwise lost from another roster position?

If we lose a goalie to expansion who would qualify as our next backup( an under rated position for a bubble team)

Right now markstrom is the better goaltender. But TD is the more valuable commodity to the organization.

No way we don't protect him if both àre around for expansion. 

An accurate assessment of what goalies will be available is crucial.

IMO Benning better keep both

If Markstrom keeps playing like this then I would sign him to a 6 years 5.5-6.0 AAV deal (NTC if necessary but no NMC so he could be left unprotected at the expansion Draft) at the end of this season. Next year we play with both Markstrom and Demko and might have the best goalie tandem in the league.. Markstrom in his absolute prime and a more experienced Demko. Then we sign Demko to a similar deal like Markstrom's current deal, something like 2-3 years with 2.5-3.5 AAV. I think as a RFA, and especially if he stays a backup the next 2 years, he can't really demand much more even if he plays stellar in the next 2 years.

At the expansion draft we protect Demko and expose Markstrom. Why? Markstom will be almost 32 and he will most likely only have 1 or 2 seasons left at top level. He may still be the better goalie in the 21/22 season but after that it will be Demko for sure. It will also free up 6 million in cap which we need for Pettersson/Hughes. Another reason why I would expose Markstrom is to keep all of our forwards and defensemen, I'm pretty sure we would need to expose a player we would not want to lose. And we need to keep our depth. To find a backup goalie shouldn't be that hard or maybe Dipietro will be ready for NHL backup duties. If a team would offer us a good deal for Markstrom before the expansion draft but after the 20/21 season ended (I want Markstrom for the next 2 years as our starter).. something like a mid first round pick then I would do it and hope they take Myers and his 6 million.

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2019 at 12:08 PM, Canuckster86 said:

Markstrom had a solid season last year and has been great again so far this year. He is an upcoming UFA with a 3.66m cap hit who will be 30 years old in January.

Keys to consider: Upcoming expansion draft & Demko's future with the team

Demko is signed for an additional year at 1.05m and will be an RFA in 2021 with Arbitration rights I assume?

Demko fits in great age wise with our current core and could be our future #1 for a long time.

What sort of extension for Markstrom term/ cap hit/ NTC/NMC would make most Canuck fans comfortable going forward?

Is there a length of contract or cap hit $ amount that would make you want us to pass on giving him that long term deal with high cap hit and NTC/NMC protection?

If we lock up Marky for more than say 4 years we really could run into having to deal a G with no leverage before the expansion draft or possible lose 1 of Marky/Demko to Seattle for free. We don't want to be in a spot like Pittsburgh where they had to pay Vegas to take a legit #1 guy in Fleury.

Personally, I would try to get Marky signed for 2-4 years max as I feel Demko could develop into a #1 and is on the right side of 30 and as above stated perfect age to grow with the core. But if Marky has another great year you know how agents are...they will want to get the max deal they can for Marky.

Just going to mention this: teams in recent memory Pitts & the Blues have both made the playoffs and won a Cup with a young cheap G. Not trying to say Demko can replicate that but it's not out of the question to have a young NHL G help your team be successful.

I am curious if or how much JB and Marky's agent had for extension talks this past summer, all I know is he will only get a bit more expensive to Re-Sign the further we get into this year if he continues to be lights out. 

So, let's discuss what makes most fans comfortable contract wise and is there a deal we say is too rich and we walk away from extending him...

Good post.

As another poster mentioned earlier, this is Definitely an under the radar massive decision.

I’m not entirely as to what our future cap situation will look like, but I think the Canucks will need to make it clear that they are fully committed to ONE goalie for the future.    

I don’t think it will be possible to extend Markstrom AND sign Demko to a nice long term contract.   

Before this season, I would have easily leaned towards re-signing Markstrom and moving Demko.   Now, I am not so sure.  

If we commit to Markstrom and move on from Demko, can we be confident that Dipietro can take the reigns in 3-4 years?   

If you move on from Markstrom, will Demko be able to properly fill his shoes?   There’s a massive difference between being the back-up and being THE guy.   

The good news is that a Markstrom or Demko Trade should be able to get us a 1st round pick and recoup the pick that we lost in the Miller deal, but this won’t be an easy decision.

Can Markstrom stay healthy as he progresses north of 30?   We’ve seen what has happened to guys like Quick, Crawford, Schneider, and Price.    

My thought is this:    IF Demko continues to play well this season, then start to split the starts between him and Markstrom (maybe 60-40 in favor of Markstrom).   If Demko continues to play at or close to Markstrom’s level, then walk away from Markstrom at season’s end.   It’s a tough choice, but it’s a choice that would have to be made.

If the Canucks are more than 4 points out of playoff contention by the trade deadline, then trade Markstrom to a contender for a 1st round pick and recoup the first that was lost in the Miller deal.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

On 10/21/2019 at 11:28 PM, Sandro17 said:

IMO Benning better keep both

Your not looking at the bigger picture and what this thread is really all about.

I agree with the above posters on this page here.

Keeping both until the draft may just allow us to save someone else, a forward or a dman.

Let them take the lesser of 2 goalies at that time.

There is 6 and a half years difference in age...…..that is a lot of games...…...55 X 6.5...……….approx. 250 games...that is a lot to give up, IMO

Let's just wait it out until we see where we are...….at the TDL, which will be his greatest value

Markstrom is sure playing well though, isn't he? He is going to want a lot, isn't he? I would think so.

• Upvote 1

this league is out of control with inflated contracts of over paid players who dont perform for the term, or are flat out over paid. No goalie in the league should make more then 7 million , but we have goalies making 10 now.. its ridiculous. MArkstrom should get 5m for 4/5 years max.. any more is just another over payment by the canucks which is more of the same ho hum to deal with like the last 5 years.