The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$22/hr is average wage needed to afford a two-bedroom apartment in Canada: report

Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

The Australians have a Chinese-subsidized economy. There is also currently a mineral mining "boom" where China is buying 33% of all Australian mineral exports. Coal, iron, gold, diamonds, you name it.

A country with only 25M experiencing fast economic growth. There is a lot more money going around per capita than here. One could also make the argument of Canada vs USA wages. USD is worth more than CAD, therefore the average hourly wage and minimum wage are much lower in the USA. The same argument could be made for AUD vs CAD. Australian dollar is still not very strong, only 0.9 CAD.

Simply stating "well it works for these guys" is a terrible argument.

Maybe we could take a lesson from Australia, and start exploiting our own resources...

nah its pretty good. The Aussies are our closest model for our country so its an interesting place to see how some programs have worked out. Maybe in Canada the right number is $17.49 not $20, but we're in the same range of capability, similar economies, similar types of government support, etc. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

What he left out is how in Australia, age 20-21 is the most frequently unemployed age range in Aus by the numbers.  Far easier to fire someone and replace with a younger worker for less money.

It appears on the surface to work in employing a younger demographic but tends to leave post secondary students and earners scrambling for work.

unfortunately the Aussies thought it was a good idea to elect a far right evangelical as PM.... and guess what happens? Kenney type changes. 

Of course we'd have to modify our wage situation to fit our exact scenario, but minimum wage programs can and do work well, despite the fear mongering you always hear about them. And of course in isolation its not going to solve all our problems, its just one part. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure, but sometimes people outside of the lower mainland forget most of the population live there. I don't care for your description of people in need, but I guess its a free country. Lots of good people and fallen to addiction.

I totally agree tho on finding ways to get more people living in other parts of BC, that could certainly be part of new housing projects but there would also have to be actual job opportunities there as well. 

The issue with Canada as well being so small and resource based is you tend to gravitate to the careers suitable for the place you live when starting out. Typically those opportunities are mostly available in the place you live. 

With resources more blue collar occupations we see boom/bust cycles of small towns. Jobs are available - people flood there - prices sky rocket - industry dwindles - people leave - prices crash.

I work in tech. As much as I am so sick of the cost of living in Toronto I can't simply pick up and move to the US. Ottawa is maybe the only other place where I can make a similar living and pay less for housing but Ottawa is cold, boring, and far from everything. And it is still not a great option compared to what I could get in the US. 

My Uber driver awhile back worked in supply chain management in the oil and gas industry in Edmonton. $85K per year, had a nice (IE milennial nice not boomer nice) 3 bedroom house in a safe neighbourhood that he paid $500K for.  He moved to Toronto (mostly because his wife hated Edmonton). He increased his housing budget to $600K and was looking at two bedroom condos with high maintenance fees. A recruiter called him saying his salary expectations of $50K were too high and he was offered $42K over the phone. I can tell he was holding back his tears. 

I could move to Halifax and get a house for $300K but I'd take a 50% cut in pay. It isn't like the US where you can really pick up and move to a different city for a lifestyle change. Most people are kinda stuck with mediocrity. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

The issue with Canada as well being so small and resource based is you tend to gravitate to the careers suitable for the place you live when starting out. Typically those opportunities are mostly available in the place you live. 

With resources more blue collar occupations we see boom/bust cycles of small towns. Jobs are available - people flood there - prices sky rocket - industry dwindles - people leave - prices crash.

I work in tech. As much as I am so sick of the cost of living in Toronto I can't simply pick up and move to the US. Ottawa is maybe the only other place where I can make a similar living and pay less for housing but Ottawa is cold, boring, and far from everything. And it is still not a great option compared to what I could get in the US. 

My Uber driver awhile back worked in supply chain management in the oil and gas industry in Edmonton. $85K per year, had a nice (IE milennial nice not boomer nice) 3 bedroom house in a safe neighbourhood that he paid $500K for.  He moved to Toronto (mostly because his wife hated Edmonton). He increased his housing budget to $600K and was looking at two bedroom condos with high maintenance fees. A recruiter called him saying his salary expectations of $50K were too high and he was offered $42K over the phone. I can tell he was holding back his tears. 

I could move to Halifax and get a house for $300K but I'd take a 50% cut in pay. It isn't like the US where you can really pick up and move to a different city for a lifestyle change. Most people are kinda stuck with mediocrity. 

For sure its easier to move when you're younger and less established in a career path. More affordable housing across the country tho would help mobility a lot. If you could pick up a co-op rental or leasehold ownership model condo for 1/2 of prices now it could help a lot. 

fwiw I did move to Halifax for a couple of years... can't say I'd recommend it one way or another, but you certainly can live cheaper. But holy crap when they say 'bone chilling winters' they mean it.

17 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I believe he meant six figures is very achievable here without any education.

Problem being, that if all the people you guys suggest do this, actually did this, six figures would be a distant memory to all of you.

#supply and demand

20 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Canadians shouldn't be forced to raise families with room mates. Also it should be possible for some to live alone if they want to.

Canadians raising families should not be doing so on a combined household income of 22/hr.  At least not doing so while expecting to live alone.

It is entirely possible to live alone if they want to.  There are jobs starting at over 20/hr (about half the jobs I saw on the first 3 pages of a Vancouver job search site, with many more 17-19 per), and they are far from all needing. a degree to apply.  "Wanting to" entails putting in the effort to earn enough, but also quite likely doing without a number of things they also consider "mandatory" (cable, nice phone, restaurants, etc).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Canadians raising families should not be doing so on a combined household income of 22/hr.  At least not doing so while expecting to live alone.

It is entirely possible to live alone if they want to.  There are jobs starting at over 20/hr (about half the jobs I saw on the first 3 pages of a Vancouver job search site, with many more 17-19 per), and they are far from all needing. a degree to apply.  "Wanting to" entails putting in the effort to earn enough, but also quite likely doing without a number of things they also consider "mandatory" (cable, nice phone, restaurants, etc).

Gibs me ma 22 an hour I needz ma Netflix 

:frantic:

• Haha 2

I wonder if there's a breakdown on the stats by ethnic/cultural groups.

Most friends I have that are Asian, still live at home or has gotten a generous loan from the bank of mom and dad.  

My non-Asian friends tends to be renting, or paying market rate to stay with parents, or starting from scratch without any assistance from their parents.  

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I was just clarifying what I thought he meant. God you love to attack anything Alberta. 

Pointing out basic supply and demand principles =/= 'attacking Alberta'. 

#self induced victim complex

Edited by aGENT

19 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

It could always be worse.

Saw a story about a guy that pays $1200 for a bed in San Francisco.

That is a single bunk bed.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/success/podshare-co-living/index.html

When it was good in fort mac people were paying 1000 a month and that was just to sleep in the bed for 8 hours.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

It could always be worse.

Saw a story about a guy that pays $1200 for a bed in San Francisco.

That is a single bunk bed.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/success/podshare-co-living/index.html

I just got back from SF. It is absolutely insane. The cost of anything there is ridiculous and the city is turning to $&!#. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Russ said:

A decent 3-4 bedroom house for $150,000?  Christ almighty!  Have you seen the cost of building materials these days?  Between wood/drywall/flooring/doors/ etc your looking at most 3-4 bedroom homes costing around that in materials not even accounting for labour/lawyers/realtors/all the other fees needed to go into buying homes. 

you can't even find a small Lot for 100K in most medium + sized cities. never mind with a 3-4 bedroom house on it.