The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

His rights were owned by Chicago. This isn’t your son’s U-10 soccer team, he can’t just simply “join” another team. 

after his contracted ended.  He played for Calgary after did not have much of a career with them either781379808_ScreenShot2019-11-26at4_41_32PM.png.5d205966b4b1d60d6134d6d96712516a.png

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It really wasn't that long ago, tho. Certainly not so long ago to not know using that term isn't appropriate. Aliu was also playing in different pro leagues up to last year, so he had reason to stay quiet given how people that speak up have been treated or could be treated. 

it was 10 years ago. he held his silence for ten long years and never told anyone? why is everyone just taking his side, when they haven't heard both sides. doesn't seem fair to me. I am not crazy about Peters, but I will wait judgement until all the facts are in and they certainly are not all in yet!

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

The story is corroborated and, at the time, the captain even had a private meeting with Peter's about it

yes I heard that and he would not say how  it was said. he is not talking to the press about it like others

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

because he is saying peters ruined by career. not defending what peters said but this dude cant blame him for a failed career because of a slur.

That's secondary to the fact that Peters used hateful, racist language to a 20 year old POC.  He deserves what he gets.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Peters should have said “that $&!#ty” music, and not “that ni##er music”.  The player is a black guy, so that’s kind of crossing the line in my books.  

It should be "crossing the line" in everybody's books.....<_<

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

because he is saying peters ruined by career. not defending what peters said but this dude cant blame him for a failed career because of a slur.

It's him rebelling to Peters because of the slur that ruined his career - not the word itself.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

The leadership group in Carolina told Ron Francis about Peters' inappropriate actions and Francis did nothing....

Hopefully that further pisses on the idea that players didn't speak up and are therefore cowards. Players have spoken up and it led nowhere, which probably made those players feel like they had a target on their back. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Or it could be because growing up in Vancouver and being called racist names all the time in my childhood made me develop a tougher skin.

Good god, man.  Is it really that hard for you to understand this?  Do you think it's fair for a boss to bully his employee and use racial slurs?  Do you honestly not get why an employee would be quiet about this for some time?  If your boss racially abused you and used his power to keep you quiet, there is no shame in exposing that kind of garbage behaviour.  Everybody would understand why you kept quiet - because he was your goddamned boss.

Seriously.  So dense.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

From the Calgary Flames:

CALGARY - Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving tonight provided the following update:

"Our review into the allegations from last evening continues. This is a very serious matter and we want to be thorough in our review.

Bill Peters will not be behind the bench for the Flames game tomorrow night in Buffalo. Associate coach Geoff Ward will handle head coaching duties.

"We will have no further comment until our review is complete."

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Willing to bet every single black player in the league will refuse to report to Calgary while he's the coach.

Imagine the awkward meeting they’re probably having with Oliver Kylington as a part of the investigation. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1