The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

Just now, Down by the River said:

And based on his comments, I really have to imagine that the captain will corroborate. He said that he'd participate in any investigation. I'm not sure that is what someone would say if they planned to defend their coach. 

agreed completely

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

On a side note. Nice to see other organizations in spotlight for the wrong reasons. Seems we've done our share of time with the heat on the Canucks.

I think the Canucks have done a good job of maintaining a professional, open minded culture in their organization.......for the most part

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

imo, this isn't a "cancel culture" situation.  This is racist behaviour and should rightly be called out.

I don’t know if Peters is racist, or ignorant?  In either case there is zero excuse for his behaviour.  He’s an AHL coach.  It must have been a bloody nightmare for that young black player taking that abuse from his coach over and over again.  

I think French Canadian players were badly treated in the 40’s and 50’s.  Then it was the Swedes and the Fins.  Then Russians.  But this one is different.  

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

For all those dogging on Akim. 

Ask yourself why Marner didn't bother to report the BS that went down with Babcock? I think we can all assume the stuff Babcock did has been proven true now?

Now think about the timing of the Babcock incident with respect to Marner's career and the incident with Peters with respect to Akim's career. Similar, no?

Now think about where Akim's career is at now. 

completely different situation, imo.  Dick move by Babcock, but not comparable to overt racism

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t know if Peters is racist, or ignorant?  In either case there is zero excuse for his behaviour.  He’s an AHL coach.  It must have been a bloody nightmare for that young black player taking that abuse from his coach over and over again.  

I think French Canadian players were badly treated in the 40’s and 50’s.  Then it was the Swedes and the Fins.  Then Russians.  But this one is different.  

100 percent. Not like it was the 1920's when Peters said this. It's not just the N word itself that bugs me in this situation. It's when he used it, in the position he was in, the young player it was used on. That's why I would fire his ass. That is not a captain I want steering my ship.

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

imo, this isn't a "cancel culture" situation.  This is racist behaviour and should rightly be called out.

Agreed. This being brought to light is very important.

I think the next question for me would be, just generally speaking, where is the line between a true racist/bigot/homophobe/exc. And someone being an asshole, making mistake they may regret and no longer stand by. Especially if it's something said a-ways in the past. 

In this case with Peters, he got away with it under an old 'hockey culture' that is changing IMO. Just the use of that word bugs me. Even in 2009 times were a bit different but it's not the 50's, I was younger but didnt feel comfortable with the word being thrown around then either.

I think the Flames are handling this fine so far as the story develops, but in the current climate I dont know how Calgary can end up keeping Peter's around.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

People love taking things away from people that have done wrong. In the end, I'm not sure that this approach helps people change or give back to the people they harmed. I would much rather see Peters put on an extremely short leash and then offered a choice: get fired or start making up for your mistake. Do community work, donate to a charity, apologize to Aliu, etc. I think this would be far more effective that just firing him. 

I was going to mention that exact course of action but I got distracted with work. It's a great idea and has a much more meaningful impact.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

100 percent. Not like it was the 1920's when Peters said this. It's not just the N word itself that bugs me in this situation. It's when he used it, in the position he was in, the young player it was used on. That's why I would fire his ass. That is not a captain I want steering my ship.

I just wish these cowardly acts would be tried on a guy like Iginla.  How about a punch in the nose for a response?  It’s like these bad coaches pick on fringe players too.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I just wish these cowardly acts would be tried on a guy like Iginla.  How about a punch in the nose for a response?  It’s like these bad coaches pick on fringe players too.  

You have a big nose, cat breath and are an illegal alien. You're in the press box tonight and the foreseeable future.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I was going to mention that exact course of action but I got distracted with work. It's a great idea and has a much more meaningful impact.

there should, absolutely, be restorative justice.  However, he should not be allowed to continue as an NHL coach.

• Cheers 1

Former #Canes player Michal Jordan confirms to #TSN that there were "multiple" physical altercations between coach Bill Peters and players in Carolina.

"He kicked me pretty hard in the back during a game," Jordan said. "Even the trainers and the other guys saw it."

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, #Canucks said:

Former #Canes player Michal Jordan confirms to #TSN that there were "multiple" physical altercations between coach Bill Peters and players in Carolina.

"He kicked me pretty hard in the back during a game," Jordan said. "Even the trainers and the other guys saw it."

Is this made up?  Source?  

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What did Downie do?

Aliu stood up to some hazing that was being perpetrated by Downie. Fans (I believe in Peterborough) turned against Aliu because Downie was the start player. In practice, Aliu was cross-checked in the face by Downie and lost 7 teeth. Aliu tried to fight Downie but it did not go his way at all. The next day both players were traded.

• Thanks 2