The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

Just now, gurn said:

Please post a credible link to a credible story stating Aliu is looking for money.

This too. People ITT are frothing about how he's looking for some payout when there have been no credible reports that that's true.

It's silly because they're just making themselves angrier about something that's not true.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

So he got a lawyer to not sue for money?  Interesting tactic.  :lol:

You have no idea why he acquired a lawyer, and there's just as much of a chance he got one to defend against a potential libel suit if Peters decided to deny the allegation and fight about it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

So all you that are outraged over Bill Peters conduct 10 years ago why did you vote for Justin Trudeau when there is a lot more evidence of racism with him? 

Well for starters I am not outraged with Peters conduct, I don't think JT is a racist, nor do I think someone putting on blackface many moons ago is automatically a racist, I also think people can change, and most deserves at least a second chance to make amends, apologize and to move on.  Also my vote was more anti-Con than pro JT ^_^.

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Wat 1

So he got a lawyer to not sue for money?  Interesting tactic.  :lol:

Please post a credible link to a credible story stating Aliu hired a lawyer.

And even if he did hire one, prove he didn't hire one to make sure he doesn't say something that gets him sued, by people with more money and power than himself

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

And even if he did hire one, prove he didn't hire one to make sure he doesn't say something that gets him sued, by people with more money and power than himself

https://www.tsn.ca/video/akim-aliu-lawyer-have-no-comment-after-exiting-nhlpa-offices~1840508

There. He hired a lawyer. Only thing lawyers do is go after people's money. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, jackofwind said:

With every post you showcase more and more of your ignorance. Pretty soon you'll need to buy a new display case to show it all off.

Ooooo...I hit a nerve. You a law student or something? lol

https://abovethelaw.com/2013/07/lawyers-the-most-despised-profession-in-america/

Edit: anyway...back on topic. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Nope. I think that was after my time.

I was only on the squad for a couple of months. I was offered a pretty good paying job as an apprentice, but it wouldn't allow me to travel on weekends, so I left the team. The coach at the time, was the same coach I'd had in Midget, when we went to the National Championship (called the Wrigley tournament back then) His name was Paul Mignault.

I wouldn't say he was hard to play for, but he was strict (we used to get fined for being late and other "misdemeanors" like that) and he had a temper. He was a little guy, but we all stayed away when he was pissed off.

I remember playing jrs and a coach in practice would literally slash us and drop us. I vowed that if I ever played against him in srs, I’d knock his teeth out. As a 17/18 year old kid playing to try and make it somewhere, you didn’t dare do something about it.

• Cheers 1

Ooooo...I hit a nerve. You a law student or something? lol

https://abovethelaw.com/2013/07/lawyers-the-most-despised-profession-in-america/

Not at all, I just find your ignorance hilarious. To think that all lawyers do is sue people shows a massive and almost shocking lack of knowledge.

Lawyers being hated as a profession isn't evidence that supports your claim that "all they do is sue people" either. It would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic and sad.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I remember playing jrs and a coach in practice would literally slash us and drop us. I vowed that if I ever played against him in srs, I’d knock his teeth out. As a 17/18 year old kid playing to try and make it somewhere, you didn’t dare do something about it.

I never been physically abused by any of my coaches, but I've done more bag skates than I care to remember....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I never been physically abused by any of my coaches, but I've done more bag skates than I care to remember....

Lol one year I was trying out for a team in the kootneys. They fed everyone a huge breakfast, then bag-skated the team until everyone felt like cr** & most puked. Turns out 4 guys missed curfew and were out partying and they(Management/coaches) caught wind of it, so they decided to punish the whole camp.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Lol one year I was trying out for a team in the kootneys. They fed everyone a huge breakfast, then bag-skated the team until everyone felt like cr** & most puked. Turns out 4 guys missed curfew and were out partying and they(Management/coaches) caught wind of it, so they decided to punish the whole camp.

Seems ok to me.

But the "metoo" generation will be offended and get lawyers if that happens these days it seems. Sad really.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

hmm I highly doubt that.  this whole thing cries lawsuit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackofwind said:

Exactly. Because we have evidence of absolutely appalling things happening to young players in locker rooms. If you cultivate a culture where coaches and/or veterans are treated like gods and behave like tyrants and there is no room for young players to speak out without being punished then you're opening the door to a very dark place.

We're not talking about unsavory jokes, ribbing about getting laid, or laughing when guys choke on their first mouthful of chew. We're talking about kids getting stripped and humiliated, getting spat and pissed on, getting sodomized with broom handles and left in closets, getting tied up naked and left at center ice. These are things that we know have happened, and these are the things that won't get reported in a "don't ask don't tell, boys will be boys, give your balls a tug, leave it in the locker room" culture.

That's simply not an acceptable thing to allow.

100%....there is a line.  I think most people know where the line is.  Having said that I feel the locker room is a legit place for things like you described above that don’t cross the line.  That’s why I have a hard time with people having access to locker rooms that shouldn’t have access and then blow whistles when they are offended.  The locker room should always be a place for gutter humour and chewing tobacco imo (I don’t chew ftw - just sayin lol)

• Upvote 2