The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Sure happy about the win but games like these leave more to be desired, if this wasn’t Ottawa it could have been bad ala Pittsburg 

That was meant solely for that other poster that is constantly negative about anything this team does.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Who gives points mean nothing. No one should have a Jersey retired or be put in the ring of honor till they give us a Cup all pass players are dead to me cause they failed to do so. 

This guy is fishing for negatives. 

Notice his first “controversial” post was in response to one about the negative button returning. 

This is why we can’t have nice things, like a negative button. Activates troll activity. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Flying under the radar tonight with Burrows induction and Roussel’s return is the fact that Gaudette is putting up top 6 numbers while playing 3rd line minutes.

I feel like a healthy Sutter will mean a new deployment for Gaudette. 

Most likely as 2nd RW, but perhaps even with Petey and Miller to finally give Bo a super-legit winger?!

8 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

still not a complete 60 min effort. We were slacking around after the first

That's why coaches bag skate players after a win.  It would be something I would try.  No quit, no let up.  That's also a normal issue for a younger team.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

Great win by the boys. Good teams know how to sit on a lead and protect it. It's something they have to learn to do better... They definitely sat on this one, but if you're up by 4 goals you try and spread your lines out and give the bottom half of the roster some playing time in hopes of re-freshening your top lines and giving them a break. This game was perfect for that, especially after the long road trip. It says a lot when the line that finished the game was the 4th line of Schaller, Big Mac, and LE. When was the last time we seen Green end the game with the 4th line? It wasn't a perfect game by any stretch, they need to learn how to close better because they do tend to get too loose. But i'll take this win!

Side note: Burrs son during the ceremony was so darn cute haha. Bouncing around, circling his dad... and jet black hair to boot just like his pop! I say we sign the kid now, I love his energy, Chip of the ol' block!

44 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

We will be seeing them again.  Would be an epic playoff 1st round match up.  The Oilers built like a sprinter, fast and dangerous, but I don't see them being able to sustain that over a series.  The Nucks have way better depth and balance.  Markstrom goes down, Demko comes in and performs great.  Our defence mistakes are dropping although still our biggest issue.  For a group basically thrown together this off season, the chemistry and energy is already showing thru.  

What I really like about our club is the secondary scoring.  Ep40 and Brock are still producing while drawing the best opposing defenders.  There have been a number of games where another line steps up and scores.  

While I would easily place McDavid and Leon above Ep40 and Brock, going down the rest of the roster, our depth takes over.  There is literally no Oiler I would take above a Canuck at the same depth position beyond the top 2 guys salary excluded.  This won't always show up 1 game, but over a series, attrition takes over and systems adapt.  

It's the picks like Gaudette that really bring a team over the top.  The guy is electric and cannot be left undefended or he will burn you.  That is type of player becomes a playoff darling. 

I got thru an entire post and didn't mention Quinn 'the phenomenon' Hughes.... doh

Good post.   I believe as the season goes on things will slowly work their way back to how we played ar the start of the year.  Our secondary scoring is one of the best in the leagues and has been all year.   Since our great start the top line hasn't been as good - up and down - relying on the PP to get points most nights...however it seems like their is always a player or two scoring from our bottom six, practically every game.  We have not had that in years - and well really not since the prime Sedin years and even then not as much ...would have to go way back to the early 90's to find a team that did it as often.   Pearson, AG, Roussel, JV, Ferland et al are middle six players capable of playing on the second line and producing.   

Agree our defense needs work (and arguably a new coach assistant) - BUT it's miles ahead of last years.    Goaltending is right around the leagues average (12-14) a little aboveboard but not spectacular (yet) either.   A lot of that depends on TD IMO, but no complaints as a rookie he's stepped in and is producing like a seasoned number one right away.  

THN recently ranked our tandem at 17, one bellow WNP and two below WSH...hard to argue with that (but I would have them higher) given who else is playing and their .sp this year.   Still think they both need to completely steal games on their own more - and JM still lets too many bad goals in,  but it's improving (a lot) and headed in the right direction.

Come playoff time both secondary scoring and goaltending really come into play .. and we have as good as shot as anyone if we make it.  Total dog fight right now in our division and expect it will be right to the end.  SJ has found their stride and EK is back at near the peak of his powers, Vegas close as well...going to be hard for EDM to stay on top - think they will be the ones to beat for the third spot. 

• Cheers 1

Man, am I ever happy to have Roussel back and that he's playing with Gaudette. Those 2 bring terrific energy to the ice and hopefully they can build on last night's chemistry against Buffalo on Saturday.  

Demko was the best player not named Burrows on both sides of the ice last night. Looked focused, solid, and set for nearly every shot he squared against. That kid can play.

And Pearson's latest multi-game stretch has him up to 18 points and 6th in team scoring. Can he get to 20 against and make it 6 players with 20 points? 

All signs point to yes!

Edited by Green Building
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Loved how the guys responded to Stecher being hit by Tkachuk. First Fantenberg defends his d partner, then Green sends out MacEwen immediately and boom. I think MacEwen was inspired by the Burrows tribute.

Yep, me too ..... was great to see a response.  Tkachuk had also given Demko a stick in the midsection after he'd covered the puck.  He got reminded not to do those things.

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

What a night.  Still reeling...funny how Burr can still ignite this team without even lacing them up.

So proud of the boys for a game worthy of the ring of honour presentation.  The videos of Burr's goals/time here must have really inspired them to work extra hard.  Was so heartwarming to hear Burr's old teammates - I especially loved Bieksa's tweet (will dig it out...after coffee).

And Burr......his speech was perfect.  Or shall I say Burrfect.  Still digesting this one...gonna take awhile.  Heart is full.  His son though...what a character...was amusing as hell as Burr did talk.  What a lovely family for a lovely man.

In watching all the clips, it was such a reminder of his love of the game that came shining through.  How he never ever gave up on a play or a game.  There's some real value in that kind of determination.  Never say never.  Used to love how excited he was after goals...tumbling all over the ice.  

Kleenex came in handy.  Going to take awhile for me to come down from the ceiling...feeling all the feels.  What a special player we had in Burr....knew it then, seeing the footage of the past just really emphasizes it all.  

Rous.  If anyone's going to carry his torch, this guy's doing it justice.  Said to my friend during the warmup "he's fired up" - he was flying around out there and you could see how happy he was to be back.  Loved his goal celebration.

Got choked up seeing the guys in the warm up jerseys.  We are all Alex Burrows.  

Lastly...I loved that Fantenberg and Mac were not going easy on Tkachuk and were shadowing him after he'd done a few Tkachukley things.

we were all thinking of you while we watched and chatted in the gdt. :)   

so glad you were there to experience it live, what a great memory to have.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just watching the videos (thanks VC!)...that part where Burr's son realizes it's Dad on the screen.  Priceless.  

Now how the heck is someone supposed to go to work today?  I need a day of recovery and to absorb it all.  "Pro D" day.

Toni, it was so incredibly special - start to finish.  

I took transit because I wanted to just ponder it all before and after.  I got there super early and signed the board (4 times...should have made it 14).  I went with some amazing friends who always do it right...they are heavily invested in this deal like I am.  Every song we swapped lyrics out and replaced them with Alex Burrows.  They tolerate my cowbell, which was used heavily last night.  

It was such a celebratory night and Burr creates a spark in that building that is undeniable.

I will carry this one with me for a long time (aka forever).  Missed you guys...there's always something special about sharing those moments here and I thought of all of you as well.

We are all Alex Burrows.