The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Tanev for pick bring up Rafferty?

Why are we trying to dilute our depth again?

Yes Rafferty is looking good in Utica.

Soon, someone else will be injured and he'll get a chance to show that he can actually play at the NHL level, consistently. Until he proves that, I vote that we keep Tanev and keep our depth on defense.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think they should keep Tanev, he could be on pace for a career year, and he's a great partner for Hughes.

^This.

Hughes partner most of the time has been Tanev.  Do we really want to mess with Hughes' development path by trading away likely his biggest development asset (Tanev) for what will likely amount to a 3rd round or at the very best, a late 2nd round pick (face it CDC, Tanev is NOT going to get us a 1st rounder). 

Hughes' defensive game is making progress every single time I see him on the ice - there is absolutely no doubt in my mind it is in no small part because he's been paired with Tanev most of the time. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

^This.

Hughes partner most of the time has been Tanev.  Do we really want to mess with Hughes' development path by trading away likely his biggest development asset (Tanev) for what will likely amount to a 3rd round or at the very best, a late 2nd round pick (face it CDC, Tanev is NOT going to get us a 1st rounder). 

Hughes' defensive game is making progress every single time I see him on the ice - there is absolutely no doubt in my mind it is in no small part because he's been paired with Tanev most of the time. 

Yes, Tanev is a really good partner for Hughes, but IMO Tanev is a really good partner for any D man.  Hughes is now partnered with Myers, and now that pair is really standing out as great.  Hughes and Tanev are the types of players who make their partners better.  Maybe we keep Tanev, and play him with Edler (when Eddy comes back)?  Then Hughes stays with Myers, and we have a really solid top four.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Have you actually watch Rafferty play or you're sole basis for this proposal is based on the 16 pts and plus 9 stats?   Yeah he has great stats in Utica....but is he ready to replace Tanev and his 20 minutes/game?  The guy has play 0 NHL game and you suggesting replacing a veteran like Tanev with him, while were fighting for the playoffs?  

That's suicide, especially with our injury history on the back end.  Keep both for depth, even if it were lose a potential return on Tanev.  I don't see getting more than a 2nd rounder in return, so not worth it.  I prefer depth.  Trade him if we are out comes trade deadline.

Well Rafferty did play a couple of preseason games so not 0 but close , had an assist -1, had several teams interested in him and he chose to come to Vancouver. I never saw Chris Tanev play before his first game in the nhl either. But he played down in Manitoba for a couple of seasons and didn't have as good a numbers as Rafferty. Sooooo

Edited by Throckmorton
  • Wat 1

22 minutes ago, Throckmorton said:

Well Rafferty did play a couple of preseason games so not 0 but close , had an assist -1, had several teams interested in him and he chose to come to Vancouver. I never saw Chris Tanev play before his first game in the nhl either. But he played down in Manitoba for a couple of seasons and didn't have as good a numbers as Rafferty. Sooooo

Is it showing in the record books?  No....so yes 0 games!  Can't believe you are arguing this, preseason games with 1/2 of AHL players don't count!  I guess any AHL players with better stats than Tanev's are defacto better NHL players than him.  Maybe in 5 years yes, but not at the moment.

Look, I'm not against bringing up Rafferty, see how he does, but trading Tanev to make room for him seems premature.    If Rafferty comes up and proves over a span of 30-40 games that he can play in the NHL and take 18-20 minutes per games, then maybe we could entertain the option of moving Tanev.   But again, I'd rather have depth for the stretch and the playoffs rather than getting a few trivial picks for Tanev.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Is it showing in the record books?  No....so yes 0 games!  Can't believe you are arguing this, preseason games with 1/2 of AHL players don't count!  I guess any AHL players with better stats than Tanev's are defacto better NHL players than him.  Maybe in 5 years yes, but not at the moment.

Look, I'm not against bringing up Rafferty, see how he does, but trading Tanev to make room for him seems premature.    If Rafferty comes up and proves over a span of 30-40 games that he can play in the NHL and take 18-20 minutes per games, then maybe we could entertain the option of moving Tanev.   But again, I'd rather have depth for the stretch and the playoffs rather than getting a few trivial picks for Tanev.

Why so much anger?? It was asking for opinions not like I am going to pull the trigger on the trade lol..if you check his stats it has his 2 games..regardless I agreed he had almost 0 experience..my concern if you read it was that based on his history he may not even be healthy when we need him the most..just discussion not making the deal I love Tanev's game..lighten up it's Christmas dude

Canucks are going to try and win a Stanley Cup in the near future. Rafferty won't help much with that. Neither will Sautner, Teves and Chatfield. Those are depth guys, who will fill in as needed. I like the way Fantenberg played yesterday, and if I were to choose a Dman right now to trade for an upgrade, it would be Stecher.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Tanev is too big of a part of our D to move. We have to start thinking like buyers. I was impressed by Pageau last game, and he's a pending UFA, think we can snag him for a 3rd?

Yes he is, we can't buy without cap space and Tanev is 4.5 against it..for a guy who over the last 3 years is off 1/3 of each season due to injury..I like the idea of bringing up Rafferty if a righty goes down..I hope Tanev stays healthy because like I said he pays the price but his record in the last few years isn't great..I guess it's the price you pay to win games.too bad he get hurt in the process

3 hours ago, Throckmorton said:

Is it time to get value for Tanev  ...say to Winnipeg who need Dmen for a pick and bring up Brogan Rafferty who has 16 points and plus 9 in Utica or wait till the trade deadline? Chris is healthy now but may not be at that time, both Right shot.

The Canucks won't be trading their best defensive D man in Tanev if they are in the playoff race either now or at the trade deadline.

Would the Canucks consider trading him at the TDL if they are far out of the playoffs?  Possibly.

But Rafferty is not the guy to sub in for Tanev. Tanev is excellent defensively yet Rafferty is an offensive D man.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Woo isn't even ahead of Kevin Bahl at moment...

Juolevi needs to be healthy...if he can do that...he can play in the NHL ...period...

No offence Rollieo but I won't take your opinion about our D too seriously.  

You also said that 21 days from now, our top four D would be:

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Hughes

.....haha boy o boy that was bad. Honestly I am surprised you got the one correct!!    :lol:

Zero chance Juolevi could sub in for Tanev at the trade deadline. ZERO.  :picard:

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

59 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Tanev is too big of a part of our D to move. We have to start thinking like buyers. I was impressed by Pageau last game, and he's a pending UFA, think we can snag him for a 3rd?

Not a chance. Pageau will get way more than a 3rd right now.

In that Ottawa tire fire Pageau already has 15 goals and is 9th in the league for goals. He has almost as many as Matthews, MacKinnon, and Eichel. Does that mean he will keep up that torrid pace? Not at all.  He is a UFA currently getting paid 3.1 mill per. 

It will take much more than a 3rd to get him imo as he would be excellent depth for any team going on a playoff run. He has more goals than even our star Petey!!

I am not great at trade evaluations but I think it would take at least a 2nd and a very good prospect.

We should not be trading away either of those things as we are still rebuilding....although near the end of the rebuild imo. Although, after having typed all this, look how great the JT Miller trade worked out.  So I will already revise my opinion a bit, if JB thought it was worth trading for Pageau then go for it JB!!!   lol

17 hours ago, Throckmorton said:

Why so much anger?? It was asking for opinions not like I am going to pull the trigger on the trade lol..if you check his stats it has his 2 games..regardless I agreed he had almost 0 experience..my concern if you read it was that based on his history he may not even be healthy when we need him the most..just discussion not making the deal I love Tanev's game..lighten up it's Christmas dude

No anger, just no patience for ridiculous proposal.  This isn't playstation, can't just toss aside an experienced vet like Tanev and bring up a kid with 0 NHL experience and think the transition will be seemless, especially when were not even guaranteed a playoff spot.

You're concerned we won't receive anything in return if Tanev gets injured.    But have you considered the consequences if we do trade Tanev and one of Rafferty, Myers or Stecher gets injured?  What next....who fills that void.  At least if Tanev get injured we know we have Rafferty who could potentially replace him.    Like I said I'd rather have depth over getting back some trivial draft picks.....because no you won't get a 1st rounder for Tanev, not even sure you get a 2nd.

Edited by timberz21
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Not a chance. Pageau will get way more than a 3rd right now.

In that Ottawa tire fire Pageau already has 15 goals and is 9th in the league for goals. He has almost as many as Matthews, MacKinnon, and Eichel. Does that mean he will keep up that torrid pace? Not at all.  He is a UFA currently getting paid 3.1 mill per. 

It will take much more than a 3rd to get him imo as he would be excellent depth for any team going on a playoff run. He has more goals than even our star Petey!!

I am not great at trade evaluations but I think it would take at least a 2nd and a very good prospect.

We should not be trading away either of those things as we are still rebuilding....although near the end of the rebuild imo. Although, after having typed all this, look how great the JT Miller trade worked out.  So I will already revise my opinion a bit, if JB thought it was worth trading for Pageau then go for it JB!!!   lol

Also something very surprising about Pageau is how well he is doing in the plus minus category 

He is second in the league in plus minus on a very bad team 

image.thumb.png.7e5d2c4b5812df40441f2d7767a22f44.png

2 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

Also something very surprising about Pageau is how well he is doing in the plus minus category 

He is second in the league in plus minus on a very bad team 

image.thumb.png.7e5d2c4b5812df40441f2d7767a22f44.png

Pageau is playing great this season.  He's going to get paid this summer.  

• Like 1