The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

I am sympathetic with Iran in that they fought Saddam Hussein for 7 years without help from anyone. Hussein was a Saudi surrogate supported by both GOP and Dem administrations. The Saudis are just as bad or worse than the Iranians. Both their forms of Islam hate the West, both are buried in Medieval thought. Not that I support Iran's drive for nuclear weapons I can see why they are so determined. 

The USA began to 'detach' itself from its alliances in the ME under Obama and Trump as continued the transition. The issue is not that the USA needs ME oil. It is about who controls that oil and the influence it can have over those that need it. American allies such as India, S. Korea, Japan and so called allies like the EU depend on ME oil. Trump's demand that they take an active role in actually defending their own interests in the region is bang on. 

The geography of Iran is a significant deterent against land invasion or Iran mounting military efforts outside of Iran. Narrow mountainous passes that can be easily sealed by air strikes. Iran has develop surrogate forces in the ME to counter Saudi efforts. IMHO it was the Saudis who instigated the ISIS insurrection in Syria. The only country in the ME that I trust is Israel.    

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Iran Contra affair. The US supplied arms to both sides of that conflict ;) 

I actually still remember watching the Oliver North hearings live.  He pretended not to remember a whole lot of things.  Ronald Reagan could have gone to prison after his presidency was over.  Although even had North not covered for him, it's doubtful that he would have considering Nancy was all but running the final year or so of the administration since Reagan was already affected by alzheimer's by then.

49 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I actually still remember watching the Oliver North hearings live.  He pretended not to remember a whole lot of things.  Ronald Reagan could have gone to prison after his presidency was over.  Although even had North not covered for him, it's doubtful that he would have considering Nancy was all but running the final year or so of the administration since Reagan was already affected by alzheimer's by then.

I cut Ronnie a little slack there because of that aforementioned affliction.  I wish nobody suffer from that horrible illness.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I cut Ronnie a little slack there because of that aforementioned affliction.  I wish nobody suffer from that horrible illness.  

I remember a classic line from DC Follies many years ago....

Reagan is complaining to his secret service guys that his TV is broken.....one of them says, "Sir, that's the Air conditioner"....

Reagan replies, "What? On every channel?"

Further reports on that rocket attack on Al Asad Airbase in western Iraq

Tue 7 Jan 2020 23:10:10 GMT

Here is the news I posted on this a while back:

and this also: 

Now seeing reports on this in
  • the Washington Post
  • VoA
  • Bloomberg 
and also Fars ( Iranian news agency) 

As I posted earlier:
  • attack on Ain Al Assad airbase in Anbar Iraq
  • US & coalition forces are at this base
  • at least 5 rockets (now said to be 6)

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/further-reports-on-that-rocket-attack-on-al-asad-airbase-in-western-iraq-20200107

Multiple reports in the last 45 mnins of rocket attacks. Some proved to be false. This one is real .

If these rocket attack reports are true, this is a major escalation

Tue 7 Jan 2020 23:26:48 GMT

Pretty much the biggest escalation possible

Aside from attacking the US directly, this is the most-aggressive thing Iran could do.

These reports aren't 100% confirmed yet but it's getting close. At this point the risk-reward in buying gold and oil is too high to pass up. This could be full-on war by morning.

Update: Reuters is now reporting that rockets have been fired at the Al Asad Airbase, citing an official. There is a lot of fake news out there, but Reuters is as good as it gets

edit - this is def not fake news. It's happening for real.
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

If these rocket attack reports are true, this is a major escalation

Tue 7 Jan 2020 23:26:48 GMT

Pretty much the biggest escalation possible

Aside from attacking the US directly, this is the most-aggressive thing Iran could do.

These reports aren't 100% confirmed yet but it's getting close. At this point the risk-reward in buying gold and oil is too high to pass up. This could be full-on war by morning.

Update: Reuters is now reporting that rockets have been fired at the Al Asad Airbase, citing an official. There is a lot of fake news out there, but Reuters is as good as it gets

edit - this is def not fake news. It's happening for real.

Seeing reports on this one attack all over now. Some reports are stating multiple attacks across a variety of targets in Iraq but dont know if those are connected to the unconfirmed/fake reports from earlier in the day. 

US official confirms missiles been fired from inside Iran at multiple US military facilities in Iraq

Tue 7 Jan 2020 23:39:28 GMT

US media citing unnamed officials:

• ballistic missiles have been fired from inside Iran
  • at multiple US military facilities in Iraq
  • including Erbil (northern Iraq)
  • Al Asad Air Base (western Iraq)
No word on casualty numbers as yet.

Meanwhile, Iranian media (Fars) also reporting the same, that retaliation has begun. 

White House says Trump has been briefed on Iraq, is monitoring

Tue 7 Jan 2020 23:44:07 GMT

Well here we go

Ok, this is real.

Trump is going to have to respond to this. If you're in Iran or the region, get somewhere safe. If you're still reading ForexLive, I imagine you're trying to make some money from this.

Oil is up 4%, gold is up 1.9% and stock futures are falling. Those are still minuscule reactions compared to what's going to happen when the US retaliates by dropping bombs on Iran. There's no way the US turns the other cheek.

This is from the White House press secretary:

"We are aware of the reports of attacks on US facilities in Iraq. The President has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.'"
Separately, a US official cited by Reuters has confirmed rocket attacks at multiple locations in Iraq, including the Al Asad Airbase.

There's a small important distinction here regarding rocket attacks vs missile attacks. If they're missiles, that's a larger escalation. Again, I'm not entirely sure it matters in Trump's mind.

US President Trump briefed on the attacks, now meeting with National Security team

As yet no casualty information. This is critical. US casualties will be viewed very seriously indeed by Trump. 

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/us-president-trump-briefed-on-the-attacks-now-meeting-with-national-security-team-20200107

Added:
  • Iran said to have fired 35 missiles at the Al-Assad airbase in Iraq
Edited by nuckin_futz

Iranian officials have apparently confirmed they did in fact fire at a US base inside of Iraq with the blessing of the Iraqi government.  If this is in fact true than this is a major escalation and honestly....I cannot wait to see the red hats signing up to make America great again.  A generation that cannot even fight their own anxiety going to war against a nation that has literally been fighting for over 40 years.

Should be fun posturing before the US turns the place in to a parking lot

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/world/middleeast/trump-iran.html

https://abcnews.go.com/International/iran-launches-missiles-us-air-bases-iraq-us/story?id=68130625

21 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

US official confirms missiles been fired from inside Iran at multiple US military facilities in Iraq

I'd not be believing the Americans on this one. I'll wait for a second and third source, especially  the part about "from inside Iran"

Welp, the plan to break NATO up is going to work out nicely. GG Russia/China.

Step 1) Do something reprehensible that causes them to attack you

Step 2) Get attacked

Step 3) Invoke Article 5 of NATO

Step 4) Wait and see who says "No, I don't think so" and the alliance crumbles.

or

Step 4B) See which nations get bogged in another super expensive in people and money quagmire for the better part of 20 years.

Trump wanted to leave NATO/Let NATO die (for whatever reasons... that various background players might have had in mind) and found a way to do it.

We'll see how close this gets. I hope I'm simply wearing a very tin foil hat.

Pentagon confirms more than a dozen ballistic missiles were launched from Iran at US bases

Wed 8 Jan 2020 00:13:51 GMT

Pentagon confirms the attack

Pentagon confirms the attack

It's no longer in doubt, the US has confirmed that multiple bases were hit and that these are ballistic missiles (not local rockets) and that they were fired from Iran.

There is also a fresh report that another wave of rockets have been fired and that they're Fateh 110 missiles.

edit -  If those are the missiles, the payload is 500kg.
Edited by nuckin_futz