The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

There's gotta be a young player who could use those minutes and not cost us probably a 3rd round pick for a rental player with 5 goals, and is going to be super unhappy if he is traded.

I like Simmonds but I don't see him making enough of an impact to make it worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the idea.  Id honestly do pearson one to one if i could.  Rather have simmonds grit for the playoffs and free up pearsons cash next season.  Lord knows we'll need the space next year.

Doubt we'll be resigning him anyway.

Edited by Ronning4center
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 5

Read threw a few posts lol 

the posters that say we don't need Simmonds please enlighten me who our best net front guy is? Bo? Sutter? Ha Simmonds might be a lil slower but as long as he can park his rear in front of the net and tip pucks in then bring him in. 

Also the posters that say ferland is coming so why bring him in, well ferland will be gun shy for a bit and may not be the same player when he comes back....also ferland has never been a protector , his like rooster , their both pests that play hard but arnt really fighters like Kassin or reeves.....Simmonds is an legit fighter and will set the tone and won't let the young guys get pushed around.....

so if we can say trade sutter for Simmonds , I'm all for it. 

He brings what we lack....

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Read threw a few posts lol 

the posters that say we don't need Simmonds please enlighten me who our best net front guy is? Bo? Sutter? Ha Simmonds might be a lil slower but as long as he can park his rear in front of the net and tip pucks in then bring him in. 

Also the posters that say ferland is coming so why bring him in, well ferland will be gun shy for a bit and may not be the same player when he comes back....also ferland has never been a protector , his like rooster , their both pests that play hard but arnt really fighters like Kassin or reeves.....Simmonds is an legit fighter and will set the tone and won't let the young guys get pushed around.....

so if we can say trade sutter for Simmonds , I'm all for it. 

He brings what we lack....

Erm... Horvat/Pearson/Leivo/ even Miller have been on pp1 or pp2 as net front presence.

Yes i would agree simmonds is a good pickup.

No i don't think he is a legit heavyweight or even light heavyweight.

Simmonds is 6"2 and 180ish lbs

Kassian is 6"3 210ish 

Reaves is 6"2 and 225lbs

Tom Wilson is 6"4 220ish

Simmonds is not what is currently needed.

Well Ferland just left the Utica game after the first period and is done for the night. He is probably done for his career.

Bring on Simmonds....come on JB....get him for a 4th and lockwood or another mediocre prospect.

Edit: actually, if we want simmonds NJ would need to take a roster player back. We already have too many forwards so it would need to be something like:

Schaller and a 3rd or 4th for Simmonds

or

Loui and a 2nd and ok prospect (prospect would be to take on Loui's cap which is highly doubtful).

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well Ferland just left the Utica game after the first period and is done for the night. He is probably done for his career.

Bring on Simmonds....come on JB....get him for a 4th and lockwood or another mediocre prospect.

Edit: actually, if we want simmonds NJ would need to take a roster player back. We already have too many forwards so it would need to be something like:

Schaller and a 3rd or 4th for Simmonds

or

Loui and a 2nd and ok prospect (prospect would be to take on Loui's cap which is highly doubtful).

I’d do Loui/2nd/prospect to rid of Loui’s cap for sure.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

I’d do Loui/2nd/prospect to rid of Loui’s cap for sure.

Let's see if JB ends up picking up Simmonds this weekend now.

It looks like NJ has the cap room but I doubt they take Loui unless that prospect was going to be in our top 10. Who knows...

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Let's see if JB ends up picking up Simmonds this weekend now.

It looks like NJ has the cap room but I doubt they take Loui unless that prospect was going to be in our top 10. Who knows...

A top 5 would be asking for a lot. 

Benning can draft an organizational top 10 prospect for sure. 

If it is the case, who are the top 10 prospects?

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Erm... Horvat/Pearson/Leivo/ even Miller have been on pp1 or pp2 as net front presence.

Kassian is 6"3 210ish 

Reaves is 6"2 and 225lbs

Tom Wilson is 6"4 220ish

I'm sorry but Simmonds if an upgrade on those guys and also bo and Miller are suited to ther areas on the power play. Those guys you listed arnt natural net front guys......Simmonds is, he has made a name for himself by being one of the best at tipping pucks.....

Your right but Simmonds will fight anyone and that's what we need for petey. 

Also if Simmonds is sitting in the box it doesn't hurt out team as much as say Miller or Jake. 

So I would argue yes we need him. 

Look at the top line, Miller petey Brock /Jake , what happens once we are in the playoffs? I would feel a lot better with Simmonds taking a shift or two watching petey's back.....

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Kassian is 6"3 210ish 

Reaves is 6"2 and 225lbs

Tom Wilson is 6"4 220ish

Hoping Yekaterinburg tanks in the playoffs.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

27 minutes ago, BPA said:

Let Big Mac play.  Hopefully he continues to be effective.   Then JB doesn't feel the need to trade for Simmonds. 

Exactly!  We have a younger, faster, and more determined version of Simmonds already here.  We have enough old, slow, and stale older guys.  Don’t do like the Coyotes and screw with an already good room.  

• Upvote 1

We have to think what will play off games look like against Vegas,St. Louis, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, etc. 

Even if we ice Zack MacEwan for most of the games and he manages to stay healthy its way to much to expect him to keep all the tough guys of these bigger teams in check. 

Simmonds would help. He fights bigger than his weight class and usually wins. However expecting him fight against Reaves, England, Lucic, Khaira, Kassian, Bortuzzo every night is a tall order. 

I would hate to make it into the playoffs and the refs put away their whistles while Pettersson, Hughes, and everyone else gets bullied and injured to the point we can't play our game. Similar to the Calgary game the other night. All of us will be saying why didn't we just get a big body fighter to protect this team for a playoff run. 

I hope we make a move but I hope its for 1 or 2 fighters who could handle heavyweight tough guys. 

Forwards: Ross Johnston, Nikolas Deslaurier, 

Defence: Josh Manson, Brendan Dillon 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

We have to think what will play off games look like against Vegas,St. Louis, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, etc. 

Even if we ice Zack MacEwan for most of the games and he manages to stay healthy its way to much to expect him to keep all the tough guys of these bigger teams in check. 

Simmonds would help. He fights bigger than his weight class and usually wins. However expecting him fight against Reaves, England, Lucic, Khaira, Kassian, Bortuzzo every night is a tall order. 

I would hate to make it into the playoffs and the refs put away their whistles while Pettersson, Hughes, and everyone else gets bullied and injured to the point we can't play our game. Similar to the Calgary game the other night. All of us will be saying why didn't we just get a big body fighter to protect this team for a playoff run. 

I hope we make a move but I hope its for 1 or 2 fighters who could handle heavyweight tough guys. 

Forwards: Ross Johnston, Nikolas Deslaurier, 

Defence: Josh Manson, Brendan Dillon 

There is little to no fighting in the playoffs now.