The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SEDIN WEEK

Rate this topic

redhdlois

4 minutes ago, Schneider.Man604 said:

knowing Vancouver... you just never know. I was born and raised here. I know the ugly side this city can put on if they have/want to.

Some fans back home have such a poor reputation.  We get that they are very passionate about our team, but this night is not about them.  It is about the two greatest Canucks of all time--except EP, BB, and QH are going to challenge them in the next fifteen years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Schneider.Man604 said:

knowing Vancouver... you just never know. I was born and raised here. I know the ugly side this city can put on if they have/want to.

Thing is, it's usually just a few that get it going and others join in.

Hey, all for it on a regular night/game....all in fun, can make the atmosphere great when people vocalize.  But not tomorrow...it's a different deal.  Two guys who brought so much class, dignity and respect to their games deserve THAT to be the tone.  This ceremony is a celebration and it's different than when the puck drops and it's go time.

When he was on the ice, playing us...sure.  But he's showing up to pay his respects to others and it's not really our place to interfere in that.

Anyhow enough about Kesler from me...takes the focus off where it needs to be.

The building was buzzing last night and it's just got such a special feel in this city right now.  Can hardly wait for tomorrow.

Kesler made his bed. Now he has to sleep in it. Remember he was the one that wanted the trade. Management didn't. He was also the one who restricted to where he could be traded to. Benning did the best he could. If fans are still ticked off at that, I can't say that I blame them. I wouldn't boo him. But I would just give a golf clap for him. 

He's entertaining on the podcast. But you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Basically at a time when the team needed him and his leadership the most, he bailed. That's pretty hard to forget. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kesler made his bed. Now he has to sleep in it. Remember he was the one that wanted the trade. Management didn't. He was also the one who restricted to where he could be traded to. Benning did the best he could. If fans are still ticked off at that, I can't say that I blame them. I wouldn't boo him. But I would just give a golf clap for him. 

Basically at a time when the team needed him and his leadership the most, he bailed. That's pretty hard to forget. 

luongo did the same thing, blocked a trade to toronto for kadri and first and rimer

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Ryan Kesler article in The Athletic about returning for Sedin tribute. Need a subscription to The Athletic to read it, but I’ve got ya covered:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theathletic.com/1595573/2020/02/11/am-i-sorry-about-the-way-things-went-down-100-percent-ryan-kesler-returns-to-vancouver-nervous-and-apologetic/%3famp

Incredible work. Dancer has been killing it.

It wasn't handled well but it was a difficult & crazy situation. How can u not understand a guy having to make a difficult decision he felt was right. As Dancer said, I envy the person who hasn't made a mistake in their life.

He seems genuine in his apology & desire to make things right. I think it's the fans turn to mend this relationship.

Hopefully he gets a huge cheer. I'll be really disappointed if he's booed honestly. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I was really mad about him asking for a trade, and to one team. With time I have have chosen to let it go and focus on all the guy did for the team while he was here. If what he says is true, that he was told the team was going in a new direction and that he realized he wasn’t part of that plan and also that he wanted to move to a quieter market so his kids didn’t get bugged at school if their dad had a bad game, then that makes my decision to let it go easier. 
does that change what happened, no, but listening to him this morning on his interview gave me a better idea about how he feels about the city and the fans here and I choose to look at the positives of his time here. Many player on teams ask for trades , we don’t always know the reasons behind the scenes. 

• Cheers 1

I don't think it's right that there be any booing during any of the ceremonies, that would be in bad taste. I find it interesting: now that Kesler's career is over, he never won anything with the Ducks. Really didn't do anything significant once he demanded out, but now he's acting like it wasn't his fault that he left. He blames Torts, he blames his fear that his kids would be bugged at school, etc. But I remember when he wanted out. The Canucks were on the downhill and he bailed on them. He complained about the constant rain here during winters, and then bragged that he was enjoying the Cali sunshine in his new home. I'll be respectful and watch, but I won't be clapping.    

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, it's usually just a few that get it going and others join in.

Hey, all for it on a regular night/game....all in fun, can make the atmosphere great when people vocalize.  But not tomorrow...it's a different deal.  Two guys who brought so much class, dignity and respect to their games deserve THAT to be the tone.  This ceremony is a celebration and it's different than when the puck drops and it's go time.

When he was on the ice, playing us...sure.  But he's showing up to pay his respects to others and it's not really our place to interfere in that.

Anyhow enough about Kesler from me...takes the focus off where it needs to be.

The building was buzzing last night and it's just got such a special feel in this city right now.  Can hardly wait for tomorrow.

Love how you said that Deb, if anything this Kesler topic can be revisited later.  The focus should be focusing on the twins.

It does annoy me in small ways that Kesler is trying to rewrite history.  As another poster said earlier, "you can't have your cake, and eat it too".  seems like he is trying to do that a bit here and I think that is what is triggering some fans, including myself.

But echoing your sentiments, I think enough energy and debate is being spent on this topic.  The honor and focus should be on the Sedins and their careers, not on Kesler's.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1