The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Show how we sign Marky, Tanev, and all our other guys who deserve increased contracts, and keep Tofoli.  Rick Dhaliwal today,  before this trade, said it unlikely we can sign both Marky and Tanev.  Now we are supposed to sign Tofoli too?  But that’s not my point anyway.  In three years, when our young core is mature enough to really compete for a Cup Tofoli (and Miller tbh) will be gone.  That’s a lot of assets given up too soon, that could have been used to support our young core during their actual window for winning a cup.  

I think Miller and Tofoli make us better fir sure.  But are they core players who will lead us to a Cup?  No.  They are support players.  The core guys who could lead us to a cup are still maturing.  These trades and expensive UFA signings were too bloody soon.  This is likely why Trevor left.  He wanted to stay the course and draft and grow our new core.  Bracket sounds like he’s done here too.  IMO our owner fought with Trevor about this, and JB didn’t.  Now we shall all see where the ship heads over the next decade.  

miller is pretty damn close

to being as productive and valuable as ep40 this season

who knows if he will improve further next season

he is core

not sure what games you have been watching

your theories are total guesswork

you said loui would be sent to utica this season and terminated

that did not happen

you engage in total guesswork about linden

now you are spinning negative stuff about brackett

be happy

why so damn negative ??

Edited by coastal.view

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Not really. Who's to say he wants to? Don't forget he is a college player that could have  walked for nothing eventually if he didn't see a fit here .  

The potential for Madden to stay in school and become a UFA is a very good point.  Likely that was what he was going to do, especially considering he would have to supplant Petey, Bo, or Gaud, who are all young.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

miller is pretty damn close

to being as productive and valuable as ep40 this season

who knows if he will improve further next season

he is core

not sure what games you have been watching

Miller is too old to fit in with our young core.  When our young core is mature enough to compete for a Cup, Miller will be gone.  He is by default of age, a support player to this young core.  

15 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Sounds like Toffoli is better than every single prospect. McDavid should have never entered league. 

Nope, he's just better than Madden. I don't think McDavid was ever a prospect was he? I thought he went straight from the draft to the NHL? What team did he play for after the draft and prior to his debut with the Oils?

I get where the Madden love is coming from, but lets be real. He is playing behind Petey, Horvat and likely Gaudette. On the RW he'd be behind Boeser, Podkolzin and even Virtanen. Toffoli is a legit top 6 player. Madden is a 3rd liner hopeful, and if he overachieves maybe a top 6er. He is a decent lottery pick but not a sure thing like Toffoli is. That's not even including the fact Toffoli can play for us NOW. With Boeser down and our 1st rounder not in our control it makes sense to trade for a soon to be 28 year old to solidify our top 6. 

And again, lets be real. We weren't getting a top 6 forward for Eriksson, Rathbone, and a 3rd like some of you post in the proposal section. Gotta give to get and as of right now I like the cost. Assuming at worst he stays status quo in terms of his play. But I think he'll play really well with Bo and Pearson. Or potentially even better if he plays with Petey and Miller while Boeser is out.

• Upvote 1

If Madden were a solid top keep at all cost prospect, he probably would’ve been picked higher than in the third round at 68OA18.

It means teams passed on him 67 times before the Canucks picked him.

This is a no-dent trade.

3 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Honestly shows how impressive our drafting has been. To have a 3rd rounder (think David Honzik, Alex Grenier from the Gillis days) become as valuable as Madden, so that you can flip him. That's amazing.

Must we say more?:towel:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller is too old to fit in with our young core.  When our young core is mature enough to compete for a Cup, Miller will be gone.  He is by default of age, a support player to this young core.  

They are 23 games away from being old enough to compete for a Cup.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Madden held all the cards, he could have walked anyway. Hey its the price you pay to make deals for top 6 players. Prospects always look awesome outside of the NHL or even Utica. 

Was there any indication that Madden wasn't going to sign with the Canucks? 

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Nope, he's just better than Madden. I don't think McDavid was ever a prospect was he? I thought he went straight from the draft to the NHL? What team did he play for after the draft and prior to his debut with the Oils?

Totally

Remember those years Edmonton spend developing him in their legendary farm system?

• Haha 3

Just now, coastal.view said:

how old do you think he is ?

Miller’s contract will be up just when our young core is coming into their prime years for competing for a Cup.  That’s why IMO the timing of the trade to get him was too soon.  He’s a really good player, but he’s not going to be here when our young core is matured, so it’s a waste of assets getting him.  

• Wat 1