The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

Sounds like Toffoli is better than every single prospect. McDavid should have never entered league. 

Dude seriously...

Comparing Madden to Toffoli who has a Cup and sports a career:

515GP - 139G - 151A - 290Pts

and playoffs stats of:

47GP - 9G - 12A - 21Pts

is nothing short of laughable.

THERE’s some hyperbole for ya.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd say we know as soon as this summer, because, in my opinion, if Toffoli does not sign with the Canucks, then we lose Madden for essentially nothing. 

Madden held all the cards, he could have walked anyway. Hey its the price you pay to make deals for top 6 players. Prospects always look awesome outside of the NHL or even Utica. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Really? He must like San Jose. The emotional cost to the players that very few consider. He probably thought he’d win it all there. 

I’m sure if he was traded, Vancouver would be the best place for him as well. He was born and raised in Surrey?

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

5th best.

Toffoli definitely better than Pearsson. Always has been since they came into the league in LA or played on same line and since Pearsons trade from PIT to us.  Toffoli has always been the better player. Has more offense too. 

Only thing bothering me about this trade is he likely leaves as UFA. Wish he was signed to at least 1 more season. 

I'm sure JB will try his best to re sign him. 

we'll see

he may have better offense

but pearson is a really good 2 way player

and plays a resaonably heavy game

i think toffoli is slightly less well rounded

but we can revisit that when he has played 10 or 15 games for us

Edited by coastal.view

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again I totally agree.  But Tofoli is gone after this season.  Madden and that second could have been used next TDL, or (even better IMO) the 2022 TDL to get a support rental.  That’s when our young core will be mature enough to actually compete for a Cup, and not just to make it (hopefully) into the playoffs.  We should be spending these kinds of assets when our window is open. 

You have no idea if Toffoli will be gone or not, no one does. Who's to say Ferland is done, never returns, and we move a few more contracts and buy a few more out. People here never  can or ever will figure out what JB is doing and how he plans to achieve that. Saying who going to be here and who's going to be gone next season is guessing for anyone on this site.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again I totally agree.  But Tofoli is gone after this season.  Madden and that second could have been used next TDL, or (even better IMO) the 2022 TDL to get a support rental.  That’s when our young core will be mature enough to actually compete for a Cup, and not just to make it (hopefully) into the playoffs.  We should be spending these kinds of assets when our window is open. 

Our window is open.

It opened when the owners said: playoffs.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Well, we can't miss playoffs now.

2 pts seperate 1st in our Div from the wildcard. We are sandwiched inbetween.   

Minnesota then Boston. Need to get atleast 2 pts. Then we head out East for 4 games. That's going to be a massive roadtrip.

Good thing we got a player who can help get us there then. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I feel like a player needs really elite skill to overcome size issues (height or weight or both). Petey and Hughes have that skill. 

Madden's done well in college but if he had that high end skill, he likely wouldn't have fallen to the 3rd round. Unless there's other factors at play (other deficiencies in his game besides size, refusal to sign, etc)

yeah, thats how I see it too. Hey maybe he's got all the tools, we'll just have to wait and see. But today I'm happy. 

If this was for Podkolzin I'd be upset. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah, thats how I see it too. Hey maybe he's got all the tools, we'll just have to wait and see. But today I'm happy. 

If this was for Podkolzin I'd be upset. 

exactly

you cannot trade a 1st rounder for a rental

unless you have a truly elite team that just needs that one piece more

even tampa who is elite

did not spend the nucks 1st rounder for a rental

they got coleman for next season as well

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree that it was pretty slim for Madden to have played centre with the Canucks. 

But he could've been moved to the wing, right? 

Not really. Who's to say he wants to? Don't forget he is a college player that could have  walked for nothing eventually if he didn't see a fit here .  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You have no idea if Toffoli is gone next season. 

Show how we sign Marky, Tanev, and all our other guys who deserve increased contracts, and keep Tofoli.  Rick Dhaliwal today,  before this trade, said it unlikely we can sign both Marky and Tanev.  Now we are supposed to sign Tofoli too?  But that’s not my point anyway.  In three years, when our young core is mature enough to really compete for a Cup Tofoli (and Miller tbh) will be gone.  That’s a lot of assets given up too soon, that could have been used to support our young core during their actual window for winning a cup.  

I think Miller and Tofoli make us better fir sure.  But are they core players who will lead us to a Cup?  No.  They are support players.  The core guys who could lead us to a cup are still maturing.  These trades and expensive UFA signings were too bloody soon.  This is likely why Trevor left.  He wanted to stay the course and draft and grow our new core.  Bracket sounds like he’s done here too.  IMO our owner fought with Trevor about this, and JB didn’t.  Now we shall all see where the ship heads over the next decade.  

Interesting move by GM JB, he is definitely going all in to make the playoffs this year. I wonder if we were able to have any extension discussions with Toffoli to see if there was any interest in him extending with us?

Madden was a nice looking prospect, key word prospect an undersized one who was still only in College. It is hard to lose someone that seemed to be such a solid draft selection but at the TDL you are always going to overpay.

If Toffoli is given an extension at or under 5m that helps knowing he will at least be around for a few more years. 

My biggest concern from the deal is us not having a 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft, we are not going to be selling to regain any higher draft picks so its boom or bust till game 82. If Canucks happen to miss the playoffs I think GM JB has to be on the hot seat and likely get fired or re positioned in the organization aka lose the GM title.

We have added more scoring depth, when healthy it means Jake is penciled in on the 3rd line and that is all they see him as if they try to extend Toffoli

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's been a long time since the Canucks can make a deal like this, where they can use one of the prospects as part of a deal, in landing a legitimate top six player. 

Would fans rather Benning sent Podkolzin or Höglander in return the other way instead of Madden? 

Excellent point I think many forget, we have never had cupboards so full that we can make this deal and not hurt our prospect pool. Easy deal for JB to make and will be able to make in the future to help us win a cup. Not only do you have to give to get but more importantly you have to have something to give in order to get what you want. Boom......drop mic

Edited by Sbriggs
  • Cheers 4

Just now, Alflives said:

Show how we sign Marky, Tanev, and all our other guys who deserve increased contracts, and keep Tofoli.  Rick Dhaliwal today,  before this trade, said it unlikely we can sign both Marky and Tanev.  Now we are supposed to sign Tofoli too?  But that’s not my point anyway.  In three years, when our young core is mature enough to really compete for a Cup Tofoli (and Miller tbh) will be gone.  That’s a lot of assets given up too soon, that could have been used to support our young core during their actual window for winning a cup.  

I think Miller and Tofoli make us better fir sure.  But are they core players who will lead us to a Cup?  No.  They are support players.  The core guys who could lead us to a cup are still maturing.  These trades and expensive UFA signings were too bloody soon.  This is likely why Trevor left.  He wanted to stay the course and draft and grow our new core.  Bracket sounds like he’s done here too.  IMO our owner fought with Trevor about this, and JB didn’t.  Now we shall all see where the ship heads over the next decade.  

You know what happens every year before the season starts?

It all works out.