The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh lets just call it a sucker move then.

A sucker move it is.

Myers was occupied. Manson should have got in the middle and started to fight Myers like a man.

Exactly. Get in between and start a proper fight where both players have the time and ability to square off proper.

Also, why do people always expect tall dudes to be tough? I feel bad for tall dudes having to burden that. There is so much more to fighting than just length. 

Not sure. I've always found that height means little without weight to balance it out. Hence why Chara and Byfuglien are so hard to knock down. As well, the mental predilection to fight and a high pain threshold is necessary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

The problem with the term 'sucker punch' is it seems to have a different definition to everyone. Some people think a sucker punch is only from someone who doesn't even know you're there, others will say any strike you aren't completely squared up and bracing for is a sucker punch. Others have other definitions. Its a nebulous term.

Either way, I don't think its a sucker punch, and I don't take much umbrage with what Manson did, but acting like he owned Myers because he leapt at him like Superman while he wasn't ready to defend for it is just silly.

It was a sucker punch but I'd be fine with him defending a Canuck like that.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

The problem with the term 'sucker punch' is it seems to have a different definition to everyone. Some people think a sucker punch is only from someone who doesn't even know you're there, others will say any strike you aren't completely squared up and bracing for is a sucker punch. Others have other definitions. Its a nebulous term.

For sure. For me it means a punch that's made to a subject without warning, or when the subject is distracted. Supposedly Jack Dempsey came up with the term.

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Either way, I don't think its a sucker punch, and I don't take much umbrage with what Manson did, but acting like he owned Myers because he leapt at him like Superman while he wasn't ready to defend for it is just silly.

For sure. If he punched Myers from the side while Myers was still tangled up with Silverberg, that would be the textbook definition. I do think that Manson took advantage of the situation somewhat though. Not egregious, mind you.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure. I've always found that height means little without weight to balance it out. Hence why Chara and Byfuglien are so hard to knock down. As well, the mental predilection to fight and a high pain threshold is necessary.

Yeah, I am of the mind that a fighter is in the soul and you work with what you've got. Don't get me wrong physical attributes are huge factors but not the only elements.

I think of Rypien when I say this as a small tough as nails man, or in contrast Malik as a tall not as much man. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, I am of the mind that a fighter is in the soul and you work with what you've got. Don't get me wrong physical attributes are huge factors but not the only elements.

I think of Rypien when I say this as a small tough as nails man, or in contrast Malik as a tall not as much man. 

I remember seeing Ripper absolutely destroying Hal Gill.

• Like 2

It's a mental disposition. Being big is a plus, but I've seen very big guys go down with a perfectly placed punch to the jaw.

Perfect example. Regarding a larger guy, Andrew Alberts was another guy who didn't possess that ability, and whose career was cut short by that pos Brian McGrattan.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Too small. No D.

he seems like he's thick though. he's what, 5'10? 

so we'd have two smallish players, but who are elite in their skillsets (Barrie with his offense; Hughes with his skating). Between the two of those smallish defensemen, you're looking at about 100 points between them. that's a lot of offense from the backend. 

Question for me is, can Barrie defend adequately??

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

JB looks like he's all in. He knows he needs to upgrade the D if he wants to win a round or two.

I'm sure there's a move coming.

Risky play? Depends on who we face in the first round. 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

he seems like he's thick though. he's what, 5'10? 

the office micheal scott GIF

so we'd have two smallish players, but who are elite in their skillsets (Barrie with his offense; Hughes with his skating). Between the two of those smallish defensemen, you're looking at about 100 points between them. that's a lot of offense from the backend. 

Hughes exceeds Barrie is just about every way, including offense.

Question for me is, can Barrie defend adequately??

Not as well as Quinn.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Risky play? Depends on who we face in the first round. 

VGK is playing too good. They will win the division. We'll likely to come in 2nd or 3rd.

I can easily see us winning a round. VGK is the team that will be hardest for us to beat

in our division. Who knows how match ups will shake out for 2nd round.

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

VGK is playing too good. They will win the division. We'll likely to come in 2nd or 3rd.

I can easily see us winning a round. VGK is the team that will be hardest for us to beat

in our division. Who knows how match ups will shake out for 2nd round.

Damn those Knights. NHL gave the city too good of a team too fast. jeez. 

With that being said, I hope there's an upset with them ;)

Vegas would, if the postseason started today, play the Jets. I think the Knights win that series, but who knows, Winnipeg is big and heavy. 

Edit: IF the playoffs started today, we'd play Edmonton. 

Edited by N4ZZY

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

the office micheal scott GIF

Hughes exceeds Barrie is just about every way, including offense.

Not as well as Quinn.

Hughes exceeds pretty much every defenseman in the league. He’s third and fourth in all important categories.

Comparing any potential incoming player to Hughes is always going to render the same results; Hughes is better than, therefore why bother acquiring said player.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1