The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

13 hours ago, WolfxHaley said:

So over the moaning and groaning about “sacrificing” the future. Management has built a strong pool of prospects and have the ability to start utilizing those assets to bring in players that can play now and are still relatively young. Sure we might trade a pick that’ll become an impact player one day but just as likely that pick/prospect could turn into a Hunter shinkaruk or a Cody Hodgson. There’s risk/reward to any trade that’s completed just like there’s risk/reward to any prospect picked in a draft. 

It's not dumb to trade prospects for impact players, it's dumb to trade prospects for rentals. J.T. Miller is an example of a great trade, where the Canucks would have him for 4 years. Adding a rental for 20 games like Toffoli and Barrie is ridiculous, considering the Canucks aren't cup contenders. Yes, you can potentially re-sign these players, but more often then not, rentals tend to test the market. 

I totally get the impatience towards making the playoffs, but with the amount of ridiculous salaries on the team, you need cost-controlled players that will add depth to the organization. The Canucks won't be able to afford signing Toffoli and Barrie, and so you lose an asset for free.

9 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

It's not dumb to trade prospects for impact players, it's dumb to trade prospects for rentals. J.T. Miller is an example of a great trade, where the Canucks would have him for 4 years. Adding a rental for 20 games like Toffoli and Barrie is ridiculous, considering the Canucks aren't cup contenders. Yes, you can potentially re-sign these players, but more often then not, rentals tend to test the market. 

I totally get the impatience towards making the playoffs, but with the amount of ridiculous salaries on the team, you need cost-controlled players that will add depth to the organization. The Canucks won't be able to afford signing Toffoli and Barrie, and so you lose an asset for free.

Team will take a step back next season. we will lose vets asb UFA and RFA. Pacific is wide open this year.We'll have 2 or 3 rookies in lineup next season. Try to make playoffs win a round or two this year. Next year more likely we miss playoffs.

21 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

I do not know what Barrie would provide that Hughes does not

Hughes >>>> Barrie

RH D for 2nd unit PP. And a major upgrade on Stecher makes our D a lot deeper.

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Fanta Myers

Benn

That D gives you a lot better chance to make playoffs and win a round or two.

Edited by WHL rocks
typo
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

RH D for 2nd unit PP. And a major upgrade on Stecher makes our D a lot deeper.

Elder Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Fanta Myers

Benn

That D gives you a lot better chance to make playoffs and win a round or two.

A defenseman who can't play defense is not an upgrade over Stecher.  Coaches will be able to get their top lines out against Barrie and expose him as a defensive liability.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

A defenseman who can't play defense is not an upgrade over Stecher.  Coaches will be able to get their top lines out against Barrie and expose him as a defensive liability.

He's not that bad lol. 22 mins per game toi 54.5% corsi 33 pts

Edited by WHL rocks

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I've seen him play plenty.  He's absolute trash and there is zero reason anyone should consider that kind of "defense" acceptable.

I Don't know king. Rielly and Ceci have been out long term. He's been playing pretty good. He would definitely be an upgrade but the cost might be too much. Stecher and a good prospect plus a 3rd from 21 draft will be cost.

There is no doubt he would ugrade our D

Personally I'd prefer a bigger body 2 way D but that's exactly what Leafs are looking for. They would trade Barrie take the return and package it for another Dman. The unicorn RHS, two way, top 4D but that's no easy get.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

In all honesty, and if Tryamkin is indeed coming back, there is absolutely no reason to “upgrade” the D at this juncture.

Unlikely. 

even if his KHL team is eliminated from playoffs in time.. His team would need to release him before his contract expires leading them to lose his  rights. I very much doubt they would do that. Absolutely no incentive for them to release his rights.

We'll see Tram next season after signing him in summer.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Unlikely. 

even if his KHL team is eliminated from playoffs in time.. His team would need to release him before his contract expires leading them to lose his  rights. I very much doubt they would do that. Absolutely no incentive for them to release his rights.

We'll see Tram next season after signing him in summer.

Didn't he come over early in 2016?  Only played 13 games with Van.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I Don't know king. Rielly and Ceci have been out long term. He's been playing pretty good. He would definitely be an upgrade but the cost might be too much. Stecher and a good prospect plus a 3rd from 21 draft will be cost.

There is no doubt he would ugrade our D

Personally I'd prefer a bigger body 2 way D but that's exactly what Leafs are looking for. They would trade Barrie take the return and package it for another Dman. The unicorn RHS, two way, top 4D but that's no easy get.

Not exactly a lot of Shea Webers to go around....

And I do agree, I would take Barrie over Stetcher in a heartbeat. Pairing him with Edler would be awesome and would definitely make for a playoff caliber defense.

• Cheers 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

Didn't he come over early in 2016?  Only played 13 games with Van.

Ya but rules have changed in KHL.

His contract expires in summer. June I think. 

if he wants to come in March his team would have to release his rights. 

They lose his right if he returns to khl down the road if they release him.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Absolutely no incentive for them to release his rights.

You mean exactly like they did 3 years ago when he came over?

They do it because if they ever hope to have him back when his NHL days are over, it best not to tell him to go F himself on the way out.

1 minute ago, zduck14 said:

Not exactly a lot of Shea Webers to go around....

And I do agree, I would take Barrie over Stetcher in a heartbeat. Pairing him with Edler would be awesome and would definitely make for a playoff caliber defense.

Ya depends on match ups. If need big top pair then Edler Myers could be 1st pair and Fanta Barrie as 3rd pair.

Mix and match according to opposition. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

You mean exactly like they did 3 years ago when he came over?

They do it because if they ever hope to have him back when his NHL days are over, it best not to tell him to go F himself on the way out.

best way to keep him is by having his rights. not making him ufa.

I believe these are new rules since last time he came over.

They have been leaning on him to sign extension. Took his C away, cut his ice time, put pressure on him earlier in season.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

best way to keep him is by having his rights. not making him ufa.

I believe these are new rules since last time he came over.

They have been leaning on him to sign extension. Took his C away, cut his ice time, put pressure on him earlier in season.

He's leaving anyway.... They're losing him.

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya depends on match ups. If need big top pair then Edler Myers could be 1st pair and Fanta Barrie as 3rd pair.

Mix and match according to opposition. 

Exactly. Edler and Myers have proven they can play a pretty good shutdown role and having a 2nd elite offensive d-man behind Hughes would be amazing. 

Also, if Tryamkin does come back, imagine this defensive group entering the playoffs:

Edler - Barrie

Hughes - Tanev

Tryamkin - Myers

Fanta

Benn

Edited by zduck14
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's leaving anyway.... They're losing him.

Yes I realize that. But just like he went back to Russia from Canucks but we still have his rights.He has to come back to Canucks.

If we release his rights do u think he would still sign here or NYR?

Same thing there. They will hold his rights even if he goes back after 5 years. Why would they make him UFA

Unless some sort of deal can be made I don't see why they would release him.

For that reason most likely he signs with us in summer after his contract expires. His club will continue to hold his rights while he plays in NHL

Edited by WHL rocks