The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Eric Gustafsson to Flames for conditional 2020 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Stecher gets moved before or at the draft for a pick. I think Eriksson will retire this summer, which will free up 6 million in space (hey, lets dare to believe in Santa), and I think Tanev takes a minor discount to stay, signs for somewhere between 5.5 and 5.75 million per for 4 seasons.

I'm only guessing, but that's what I see happening. I think there are teams out there who would look at Stecher at 2.5 - 3 million as an upgrade on their middle pairing.

I'm fine either way if we can trade Stecher for something or if we end up letting him walk. Just can't see him with us next season.

The Eriksson dream would be a true blessing from the hockey Gaud. If we extend Marky and Toffoli, we will have to see how much room is left for Tanev even if he takes a discount. I think there will still have to be more moves to make like buying out Baertschi if we can trade him outright and possibly moving out Roussel and Sutter. We have to assume Ferland stays on LTIR as well. I think if Tryamkin has a good showing that he may take over Tanev's spot next season (currently plays in a similar role in the KHL, but as a top pairing guy, so top 4 defensive dman doesn't seem out of the question IMO) and hopefully we will have signed him for a reasonable deal adding value to that position.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

If he’s publicly stated he wants to stay then they have reason to think he’s open to re-signing there 

We'll see, I wouldn't be surprised to see him remain in Arizona or see them trade him. But Arizona will look pretty dumb if he walks for nothing. 

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Dont like the Gustafsson trade as I think he’ll be a really good fit with the flames...

As long as the Flames aren't expecting him to play defense he's a good fit.

In my personal opinion, trading away Gus was an immediate upgrade to the Hawks defense.  He wasn't contributing on the PP,  he's terrible in his own end and even worse when it comes to preventing zone entries.  Opposing forwards can literally skate right in and gain control of the zone when entering on his side.

This guy can put up points. As long as you can pair a guy like this with a good defender, I think this is a steal of a deal for a 3rd. There are other players who play a similar game (Barrie comes to mind) that would have cost a lot more.

Truly surprised he was moved for so little.

Good pick for the Flames but if they don't pair him with a solid defensive guy they're in trouble. I like his game but you can't play like he does in the playoffs, even pairing him with Tanev wouldn't be good enough. Troy is better defensively than him and Barrie combined, glad we stuck with him and we'll see why - in the playoffs, offensive defencemen disappear, big strong two way forwards and defensive defencemen thrive.

• Upvote 1