The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Need & Deserve This Final Test

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

I think they'll make it in. If they don't, I'll be really concerned. It means next year there will be even extra pressure to make the playoffs as the 1st rd pick from the Miller trade won't be lottery protected. Could see even greater mortgaging of the future to ensure the team gets in. 

TT has been a great fit here. I hated the trade at the time, but also didn't know the Boeser was injured. Still not a big fa, but it makes a bit more sense to make that push to the playoffs and avoid a pretty heartbreaking season for the team. 

Roussel could be traded. Ferland is either back or at least his injury will open up cap space to sign a UFA (TT a decent option). 

I think they'll muster enough, if only to eke out a berth.

What I'm curious about is, would Domingue be able to supplant TD if he goes on a good run while Marky's out?  Louie's a couple years older than Demko but, if Thatcher can still get a good return, would the team entertain moving 35 to obtain another needed asset (e.g. a young right shot D-man if one was to become available)?  If Louie and Toffoli prove to be good replacements for Brock and Thatcher through good runs, it might be enough to even tether any liabilities we have to them (e.g. Sutter, Sven) and sell for what should still be a decent return.

Excited to see how the rest of the season plays out 

Lots of ideas, trading aged vets, releasing players, selling more of the future, hoping players decide to retire and  leave millions on the table.

A big spoke in the wheel is the cap and cap space, the Canucks have next to none, both Pettersson and Hughes met their maximum bonuses so over 4 mil less to work with next year.

I am of the opinion that their will be a big change in the front office.

I think this because of the lack or re-signed contract to the likes of Ian Clark and Judd Brackett, both have been given kudo's for their work, that is two office guys, Green's contract is up I think as well.

Playoffs or not this team will be vastly different next season.

With Markstrom not around pulling this team's chest nuts out of the fire the warts are showing and as the games heat up and IMO they will heat up even more yet, injuries will happen and there just isn't enough depth to have two defense men injured, look at what happened with just one goalie hurt at the wrong time.

I was just thinking about all the negativity Lucic got here when a post suggested he come here, a big plus over Eriksson for the same money. Different players with different skill sets, but if he was here then no reliance on Ferland and an additional 3.5 mil cap space, Even if he is on LTIR the team will be at the ceiling and if he is okayed to return then players have to be waived because he has a NMC.

Try to think nothing but good thoughts, they will sign everyone, just don't see how, all this stuff is public information.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Upvote 1

What would these boards have looked like in '94(had it been a 'net world then..THANK GAWD it wasn't!)?

If I recall correctly, that team underachieved all yr, stumbling into the PO's rather late. Can any long timers confirm/correct that aging recall of mine?(adv thnx) If true, it's ironic, 'cos the spirit of that crew is likely the most admired(of any season) in the 5 decades.

So yeah, life goes on, bigger probs in a hard world, & all that jazz. Don't giva'shyte what everyone thinks/taunts/cheers or heckles..I'm just gonna enjoy the season-end(games 64-82 & hopefully more), right thru to DD.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

The Flamers(2018-19 season) is a pretty good case study/example for our current bunch.

Everyone would agree they had a great reg season. Tonnes of guys lighting it up, Gio wins Norris, etc...Now I believe the PO's left a bitter taste in their fan's mouths. Only guy that showed up seemed to be Smith..& they couldn't even find the bread/cap? to keep the guy.

We could find some similarities with their ordeal, but it goes to show how important it is to finish a season off(even if you lose) playing a decent brand of puck. IF we'd made the PO's with JM healthy(missing no games at all), maybe our play may have been dismal, like the aforementioned Flamers? Can't say, but JM was covering other weaknesses, it would appear.

So I say celebrate the fine individual stats/performance of our top guys(JM, JTM, EP & QH); but we've gotta do our utmost to build a balanced, competitive, hard-working identity.

It may take until next season to put all these lessons to proper use.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I think they'll make it in. If they don't, I'll be really concerned. It means next year there will be even extra pressure to make the playoffs as the 1st rd pick from the Miller trade won't be lottery protected. Could see even greater mortgaging of the future to ensure the team gets in. 

TT has been a great fit here. I hated the trade at the time, but also didn't know the Boeser was injured. Still not a big fa, but it makes a bit more sense to make that push to the playoffs and avoid a pretty heartbreaking season for the team. 

Roussel could be traded. Ferland is either back or at least his injury will open up cap space to sign a UFA (TT a decent option). 

Even if Canucks finish 9th and miss the playoff and do not win top 3 lottery pick, I would imagine that they would give their 15th or 16th overall pick away to Tampa, I think that we would have this option just like Ottawa did but the difference is that they choose to keep their pick, risking losing their pick.  It would depends on if they are targeting their man and felt could be a top 10 but fell down the board due to other teams off the board picks as we often do see this happening over the years. It is still fairly mid-round pick after all and I doubt that we would fall off the cliff with long losing streak.  This could be their protection and be willing to give their pick in case they miss the playoffs next season due to loss of players through UFA and Marky choose to sign with other teams and we do not have enough cap room.  Miller is our 2020 1st and we have a gem in that.  

17 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Even if Canucks finish 9th and miss the playoff and do not win top 3 lottery pick, I would imagine that they would give their 15th or 16th overall pick away to Tampa, I think that we would have this option just like Ottawa did but the difference is that they choose to keep their pick, risking losing their pick.  It would depends on if they are targeting their man and felt could be a top 10 but fell down the board due to other teams off the board picks as we often do see this happening over the years. It is still fairly mid-round pick after all and I doubt that we would fall off the cliff with long losing streak.  This could be their protection and be willing to give their pick in case they miss the playoffs next season due to loss of players through UFA and Marky choose to sign with other teams and we do not have enough cap room.  Miller is our 2020 1st and we have a gem in that.  

1- I think the pick's in the swamp..Jersey City

2- My understanding is there's no choice here. Miss PO's, keep pick

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What would these boards have looked like in '94(had it been a 'net world then..THANK GAWD it wasn't!)?

If I recall correctly, that team underachieved all yr, stumbling into the PO's rather late. Can any long timers confirm/correct that aging recall of mine?(adv thnx) If true, it's ironic, 'cos the spirit of that crew is likely the most admired(of any season) in the 5 decades.

So yeah, life goes on, bigger probs in a hard world, & all that jazz. Don't giva'shyte what everyone thinks/taunts/cheers or heckles..I'm just gonna enjoy the season-end(games 64-82 & hopefully more), right thru to DD.

Nobody cared about how much they made - no salary cap and even though salary was disclosed by then good luck trying to find out how much they actually made it was rarely printed in the sports section.  So at least none of that whining would be around. 

But yeah wondered about that myself - and how many Fire Quin threads would be out given how well we'd done the previous couple years after each loss.  

Remember feeling this team had a chance to do some serious damage come playoff time - just had to make it.   Adding Brown at the deadline was also pretty encouraging - pretty huge add for us.    Back then .500 (82 points) was like getting 93-98 points now depending on the team, take away all the SO wins, delete them from the win colum entirely (just go by ROW in other words), and all the OTL (Boston has like a dozen now).   Still we were likely a wild card team that year .... 7th in the West?   We played Calgary best team in our division...beat them in 7 and it snowballed from there.  Would be like playing St Louis this year as a wild card team, winning in 7 and going from there - minus the LE whining - back then we had Walter on the 4th line, wonder how much he made compared to say Courtnal or Ronning?  Didn't know, didn't care - was just stoked to have the former Habs captain despite being well past his prime.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nobody cared about how much they made - no salary cap and even though salary was disclosed by then good luck trying to find out how much they actually made it was rarely printed in the sports section.  So at least none of that whining would be around. 

But yeah wondered about that myself - and how many Fire Quin threads would be out given how well we'd done the previous couple years after each loss.  

Remember feeling this team had a chance to do some serious damage come playoff time - just had to make it.   Adding Brown at the deadline was also pretty encouraging - pretty huge add for us.    Back then .500 (82 points) was like getting 93-98 points now depending on the team, take away all the SO wins, delete them from the win colum entirely (just go by ROW in other words), and all the OTL (Boston has like a dozen now).   Still we were likely a wild card team that year .... 7th in the West?   We played Calgary best team in our division...beat them in 7 and it snowballed from there.  Would be like playing St Louis this year as a wild card team, winning in 7 and going from there - minus the LE whining - back then we had Walter on the 4th line, wonder how much he made compared to say Courtnal or Ronning?  Didn't know, didn't care - was just stoked to have the former Habs captain despite being well past his prime.

1994...  It was like this...

There was just a general lack of excitement.  They had been division champs the two previous years and gone out in the second round I think.

They had an ordinary season in 93-94, and by the time playoffs approached, people just figured it would be a one and done since they were worse than the previous two years.

I had a feeling that this was the year, and got playoff tickets on the first day they were available.  There was literally no line at all and I got to pick seats in the front row for any game I wanted.  They weren't selling tickets past the second round.

People weren't upset with Quinn or the team.  They still remembered the 80s and 1990 and 1991 quite well.  But there was really no excitement, save for me, until the Canucks started their comeback against Calgary.

By game 7 against Calgary the whole city was all in, but it didn't start out that way.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

+100 .... Right in the middle of the darkness, you turn on the shining beacon.

Domo arigato Nuxfan, 

Perspective Gentlemen, perspective...

This 4 game road trip have made fans lose their minds... Green and this group are victims of their own success up to now.

Who on earth bar Apollo, thought we were going win our division at the start of the season... Compete for a play off berth was what we were hoping for, we still are although without Marky it may not be achieved.

But we shall see... Get a grip and enjoy the ride. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As for good old Ryan Walter, I also had no clue what he was making.  Pretty forgotten now like Mike Foligno and Reed Larson and Mel Bridgman but those kinds of guys had great careers.

One guy that I think was making peanuts was Ronning though.  Quinn very stupidly let him go a year later because he didn't want to pay him even three quarters of what he was worth.  Quinn's worst decision ever perhaps and Ronning went on to have an entire career post-Canucks.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

As for good old Ryan Walter, I also had no clue what he was making.  Pretty forgotten now like Mike Foligno and Reed Larson and Mel Bridgman but those kinds of guys had great careers.

One guy that I think was making peanuts was Ronning though.  Quinn very stupidly let him go a year later because he didn't want to pay him even three quarters of what he was worth.  Quinn's worst decision ever perhaps and Ronning went on to have an entire career post-Canucks.

I remember watching Ronning(tier 2 I think 1st time..later with New West Bruins, down at Queen's Park)..what a nifty little talent he was!

• Vintage 1