The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) New Jersy Devils

Now this is the team you want to deal with.

Boeser or Horvat for 1rst round picks their own, Arizona' and or Vancouver's

With all the stuff happening and going to happen this just puts the team back into year 4 of a rebuild.

The team already has Miller and Gaudette, possible replacements for Horvat

NJD may want him over Boeser anyway as he is a center, young and a good cap hit.

They are a team that is a perfect fit for Horvat.

They already have 11 regulars 24 and under and need a good veteran leader that is cheap and young, so 2 1rst's for Horvat.

This also opens up cap space.

Canucks still have Miller, Gaudette and Pettersson as centers and adds 3 more drafted players in one year, 3 years worth of 1rst round picks.

I don't know what fans think will happen next season but I don't think the group on the ice last night will be the same guys next year.

• Wat 1

Both teams says Hell No.  While value for Horvat would be good, Canucks are not going to trade their captain, signed long-term to a bargain deal, for future picks.

NJ is rebuilding, they are not going to trade 2 potential lottery picks and another 1st for Horvat.

Superstars like Karlsson returned ONE 1st round pick (plus other assets).  But you think Horvat or Boeser are worth THREE 1st round picks?  One of which is 6th overall and could be top 3.  

Do me a favour and find me an example of a trade in the salary cap era where a team

traded three 1st round picks for one player (and I’m talking actual 1st round picks, not players that were picked in the 1st round at some point) 

If New Jersey says yes, I would do it and make J.T. the captain. I love Bo he’s fantastic. He’s an all star for us in so many situations but two first in today’s NHL with potential of top three. I would take the chance but maybe that’s the fantasy hockey in me talking as well!

Side note: a lot of stars that get traded are older not on good deal and have questions of reliability after a few years. With the right situation I could see a player like Bo returning two first round picks in a trade.

Edited by #Canucks

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Both teams says Hell No.  While value for Horvat would be good, Canucks are not going to trade their captain, signed long-term to a bargain deal, for future picks.

NJ is rebuilding, they are not going to trade 2 potential lottery picks and another 1st for Horvat.

There comes a time in a proper rebuild that there can be too many young players and they need some experienced leadership, that has a high value, NJD could trade 2 1rst round picks and still have 3 over the next two drafts, they currently ice a team with more than 14 players under 25 and 9 under 23 yrs old.

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Superstars like Karlsson returned ONE 1st round pick (plus other assets).  But you think Horvat or Boeser are worth THREE 1st round picks?  One of which is 6th overall and could be top 3.  

Do me a favour and find me an example of a trade in the salary cap era where a team

traded three 1st round picks for one player (and I’m talking actual 1st round picks, not players that were picked in the 1st round at some point) 

Horvat is worth more because he has never had a serious injury, is 4 years younger, under a very reasonable contract, been mentored by the Sedins, and the three picks were one plus a choice of one of two. So for NJD is accelerates their rebuild by adding 5 years experience for a leader

8 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Now this is the team you want to deal with.

Boeser or Horvat for 1rst round picks their own, Arizona' and or Vancouver's

With all the stuff happening and going to happen this just puts the team back into year 4 of a rebuild.

The team already has Miller and Gaudette, possible replacements for Horvat

NJD may want him over Boeser anyway as he is a center, young and a good cap hit.

They are a team that is a perfect fit for Horvat.

They already have 11 regulars 24 and under and need a good veteran leader that is cheap and young, so 2 1rst's for Horvat.

This also opens up cap space.

Canucks still have Miller, Gaudette and Pettersson as centers and adds 3 more drafted players in one year, 3 years worth of 1rst round picks.

I don't know what fans think will happen next season but I don't think the group on the ice last night will be the same guys next year.

We don't need a re-build... We basically just came out of one. This just puts us back 4 years completely unnecessarily. We don't NEED that 1st round pick back. We need a couple extra draft picks back in the 2nd through 4th rounds. We need to continue with the process and do some tinkering of the roster. Trading Boeser is one thing as he has value that could grab us another high end defenseman to support Q.Hughes. And Boeser at the moment is a little concerning for us going forward on if he can stay healthy. He's also become a little expendable with the emergence of Virtanen, the acquisitions of J.T Miller, Toffoli, T.Pearson, and Leivo the last two years. (And the very possible re-signings this summer of Toffoli and Leivo). But trading Horvat is completely unnecessary and ridiculous. He is our captain and future leader and bus driver and his intangibles and personal team value are not replaceble. Pettersson and Horvat are our future one-two punch up the middle. Similar to a Krejci/P.Bergeron, Aho,J.Staal, Giroux/Couturier. J.T Miller can play centre but we are and need to keep him on the wing as it is most fitting for the team and balancing out the depth. If any centre should be considered in a trade it's Gaudette and we should be asking for a defenseman or experienced top nine forward and draft pick in return. That being said if New Jersey ever called and even mentioned Horvats name. It should be Zacha and/or Severson and a mid to low 1st round pick just to keep Benning on the line.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Pears said:

These proposals are exactly why we need a post limit. 

Look at the title of the forum, there are only a limited number of players, coaches or GM's on this team to post about so what is you proposal? Have one thread for each player?

This forum even requires a tag, Proposal or Disscussion.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

We don't need a re-build... We basically just came out of one. This just puts us back 4 years completely unnecessarily. We don't NEED that 1st round pick back. We need a couple extra draft picks back in the 2nd through 4th rounds.

And in 5 years who is on the team that is here now? First round picks play in the NHL and usually are core players especially top ten players, over 90% the last ten years.

You think adding 4 young players over two years is setting the team backwards?

Edited by Lazurus

33 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

And in 5 years who is on the team that is here now? First round picks play in the NHL and usually are core players especially top ten players, over 90% the last ten years.

You think adding 4 young players over two years is setting the team backwards?

Like I said we basically just came out of a re-build that included FIVE first round picks all currently on the roster and playing at a high level. Who is on the team in five years? Pettersson, Horvat, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Q.Hughes, Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone, Tryamkin, Woo, Utunen, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek. And very possibly prospects showing great upside on their teams right now in Carson Focht, Linus Karlsson, Aidan McDonough, Petrus Palmu. Not to mention it's very possible and somewhat likely that Virtanen, Gaudette, T.Myers, Z.MacEwen, and even guys like J.T Miller, Toffoli, and Leivo could still be here. They're all still young or relatively young. Plus by then we will definitely be backstopped by at least two of Markstrom, Demko, DiPietro, Silovs. This is also why I mentioned gaining picks back in rounds 2 through 5 (or even though round 7). That is where championship teams are built and Benning has already found us Demko, DiPietro, Gaudette, Tryamkin, Woo, Rathbone, Hoglander, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek in those rounds. I'll add in 3rd rounder Tyler Madden since he netted us Toffoli. Benning has already netted us the 1st round picks we need in my mind. The rest of the team is being developed and/or will be built through drafting in rounds 2-7, free agents, and trades. As the roster and system stands right now and the way certain prospects are developing, the future is something like...

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

J.T Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin

Gadjovich-Gaudette-Virtanen

McDonough-L.Karlsson-Lind

Palmu-Z.MacEwen-Jasek

Q.Hughes-T.Myers

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Rathbone-Woo

Brisebois-Utunen

Demko

Markstrom

Looks pretty stacked to me. I don't see a glaring need for 1st round picks. Especially not at the expense of Horvat.

Edited by ZH96

12 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Like I said we basically just came out of a re-build that included FIVE first round picks all currently on the roster and playing at a high level. Who is on the team in five years? Pettersson, Horvat, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Q.Hughes, Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone, Tryamkin, Woo, Utunen, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek. And very possibly prospects showing great upside on their teams right now in Carson Focht, Linus Karlsson, Aidan McDonough, Petrus Palmu. Not to mention it's very possible and somewhat likely that Virtanen, Gaudette, T.Myers, Z.MacEwen, and even guys like J.T Miller, Toffoli, and Leivo could still be here. They're all still young or relatively young. Plus by then we will definitely be backstopped by at least two of Markstrom, Demko, DiPietro, Silovs. This is also why I mentioned gaining picks back in rounds 2 through 5 (or even though round 7). That is where championship teams are built and Benning has already found us Demko, DiPietro, Gaudette, Tryamkin, Woo, Rathbone, Hoglander, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek in those rounds. I'll add in 3rd rounder Tyler Madden since he netted us Toffoli. Benning has already netted us the 1st round picks we need in my mind. The rest of the team is being developed and/or will be built through drafting in rounds 2-7, free agents, and trades. As the roster and system stands right now and the way certain prospects are developing, the future is something like...

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

J.T Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin

Gadjovich-Gaudette-Virtanen

McDonough-L.Karlsson-Lind

Palmu-Z.MacEwen-Jasek

Q.Hughes-T.Myers

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Rathbone-Woo

Brisebois-Utunen

Demko

Markstrom

Looks pretty stacked to me. I don't see a glaring need for 1st round picks. Especially not at the expense of Horvat.

How does the team look now, to you?

Who replaces Miller, Pearson, Edler, Tanev Markstrom, Demko, Are Brisebois, Woo or Myers top four defense men? Will Palmu be a good 4th line grinder? Jasek?

In 5 years even Horvat is approaching 30. In the 94 run there were only 4 players between 30 and 33 and the team had 14 players 25 and under.

Video games are much more sofisticated now but still don't take into account slumps, injury accumulations or other teams improving.

In 5 years other teams will be younger and divisional rivals have super stars that will be around then, sort of like Crosby and Malkin are hanging in there.

Have you looked at how many players under 24 are on this team?

Each 1rst round pick playing represents one year. If Horvat or Boeser, who can be replaced on a rebuilding team over a 3 year period or savy trade like the Miller deal then improving the franchise is not such a bad thing, besides Horvat might want a change of scenery, in 6 years he has had only one sniff at the playoffs and that was a quick exit. Boeser's injuries migh curtail his improvement or even his effectiveness now, it certainly didn't look like he should have had a rib injury, now a twisted and torqued back, ya. But Boeser might be a better trade chip to Minnesota.

Now with Pearson, Toffoli, Miller, Beagle Pettersson, Hughes and Virtanen as the team's vets and mentors, a you group might grow together at the same time ala Edmonotn of old and Colorado, Winnipeg, Columbus, New Jersey and Tampa currently

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

There comes a time in a proper rebuild that there can be too many young players and they need some experienced leadership, that has a high value, NJD could trade 2 1rst round picks and still have 3 over the next two drafts, they currently ice a team with more than 14 players under 25 and 9 under 23 yrs old.

Horvat is worth more because he has never had a serious injury, is 4 years younger, under a very reasonable contract, been mentored by the Sedins, and the three picks were one plus a choice of one of two. So for NJD is accelerates their rebuild by adding 5 years experience for a leader

So quote me one  trade that returned 2 1st round picks (with one that’s top 6 with a shot at top 3). No team in the cap era is giving away two high 1st round picks. Horvst is a great 2C. But he isn’t a star player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

So quote me one  trade that returned 2 1st round picks (with one that’s top 6 with a shot at top 3). No team in the cap era is giving away two high 1st round picks. Horvst is a great 2C. But he isn’t a star player. 

I accept the Devils badly need a top two centre with size.  They will never win with the two Smurfettes they currently have.  But as much as I love Bo no chance he returns a top pick.  Plus, we need his size to balance out Petey’s lack of it.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Canucks for Gudbranson? a rookie McCann and a 1rst.

Foote and Canucks first to NJD?

Columbus and Ottawa 2 1rsts for Duchene

Sharks and Ottawa in the Karlsson deal

There are a few where the prospect was a 1rst round selection

Besides as unlikely as it was Gretzky got traded.

Edited by Lazurus