The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

26 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

9 other teams passed on Larkin. Larkin at 6 would've been a reach. Hindsight is great, but this game could be played for any player that are above their draft spot. Pastrnak was picked 25th (someone that Benning ripped into the scouts for missing altogether), so I guess Boston fans should be thanking Carolina for picking Haydn Fleury at 7th?

I think it's more believable if Larkin was in discussion for our 24th overall pick as most mock drafts had him in the 2nd half of their draft lists and even below McCann in some instances. If the scouts were clamouring to pick him at 6th, that would be quite something because it would be an even bigger reach than EP was.

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Not unreasonable for Benning to want Glass around where he was ranked. However, Benning was fully on board (listening to whichever scouts involved, with Benning praising DeLorme specifically as an early advocate) with EP even prior to the draft as he blew his cover pointing at him and thus missing out on trading down a spot and gaining another pick. With this in mind, it's also not unreasonable to believe that Benning was feigning interest for Glass in hopes to be able to trade down as well. A lot of this talk does not jive with we saw with our very own eyes of the people involved.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Okay, I've read everything about the Brackett situation and I think it may be a simple case of the media postulating a theory, searching for only evidence that supports their theory, then presenting it as a fait accompli that a) the relationship is soured, b) Benning and Weisbrod want to squeeze Brackett out and Brackett was po'd last June when Benning and Wiesbrod supposedly took over the draft, leaving Brackett shut out and angry, and c) John Weisbrod is the bad guy in this whole soap opera.

Here is an extended clip of Brackett after the draft. I have watched it a few times and I really can't detect even a trace of anger, upset, disappointment or being alone. On the contrary, he seems to have been with the selection process the whole way through and is able to justify each pick. Not exactly the work of someone who has been shut out and diminished. And if he was on the outs, why is he allowed to be the face of the franchise in going out to explain and defend the draft picks?

In the end, Brackett may leave, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. He's had 12 years, a good track record, and likely believes he is ready for a bigger challenge. Almost all young and talented people want to keep aspiring to bigger challenges. And if Weisbrod is the villain, it is solely because he is simply there and in the way to Brackett advancing to an Assistant General Manager position.

That and from previous draft videos all demonstrate ideas that are different than what's being thrown out lately. For example, the idea that Benning was supposedly never a Pettersson guy. Well maybe in 2015 or 2016 he wasn't. But we know he was fully on board by the time the draft came, so something had changed if that idea is true.

So it seems like what you're saying is true in that they probably interview some scouts and catch on a blip and instead of telling the whole story, they tell what they want to be told to fit their narrative.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Based on Bennings directive of “speed and skill” the scouts identified those two guys. Without that kind of direction we very well may have picked Rasmussen or Vilardi.

Benning has clearly valued speed and shooting ability for awhile. It shows in every one of his picks. I don’t think he can take all the credit for the good picks, but he is out there himself scouting these guys and he has the ultimate say. So at the end of the day he does deserve some of the credit.

I do believe that Benning does deserve credit for our drafting success. I was just questioning the Delorme part of your argument, its not hard to spot talent. Anyone can do it, you and I could have watched Petey play and seen that he was a special hockey player who stood out from the rest. The difficult part is ranking prospects, that's why scouting is a collaborative effort. The GM cannot possibly watch everybody and a single set of eyes can easily be tricked into falling in love with a prospect. GMs have ignored the advice of their scouts and drafted great players just, as they have passed on the advice of their scouts to draft duds. At the end of the day you need the hire the right group of guys, and you need to be able to trust them as they will be doing the majority of the travelling and the scouting. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Toews said:

I do believe that Benning does deserve credit for our drafting success. I was just questioning the Delorme part of your argument, its not hard to spot talent. Anyone can do it, you and I could have watched Petey play and seen that he was a special hockey player who stood out from the rest. The difficult part is ranking prospects, that's why scouting is a collaborative effort. The GM cannot possibly watch everybody and a single set of eyes can easily be tricked into falling in love with a prospect. GMs have ignored the advice of their scouts and drafted great players just, as they have passed on the advice of their scouts to draft duds. At the end of the day you need the hire the right group of guys, and you need to be able to trust them as they will be doing the majority of the travelling and the scouting. 

Easy to see Petey’s skill for sure but it still took a lot of guts to take an undersized 150lb Swede with the 5th overall no matter how skilled he was.

Lots of fans were blasting Benning for this pick and passing on bigger or just as skilled guys like Middelstatd or Villardi. In the end it’s his job on the line when he makes those picks if he has a big miss. Juolevi in 2016 was excused to an extent simply because of his Boeser pick the year before. But if he had made another bad pick in 2017 you better believe he’s gone.

So I do give him a lot of credit for taking that chance and not going with the “safe” CHL kid. Especially coming from Boston where they obviously valued certain players. It shows he’s been able to adapt his philosophy with the changing game which is very important.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

50 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Look at these titles lol

I'll say this Ryan Kennedy has been following the NHL and hockey in general for longer than some posters have been following the Canucks. He's a respected hockey journalist and has incredible contacts and resources. He ties most of the speculation together and sad to say many will believe unsubstantiated post rather than Kennedy. I know one thing for sure prior to the Pettersson draft I was invited to a Canuck luncheon and Bennng couldn't find enough good things to say about Middelstad. He clearly had him rated v.highly

Edited by Fred65
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Look at these titles lol

Read the article too, it’s wrought with speculation. Somehow he has access to all these scouts around the league with inside knowledge of the inner workings and dynamics of the Canucks organization. Critical thinking will tell you that is very unlikely.

Did anyone ever stop and think that these other NHL scouts and execs might have a hidden agenda? Like I don’t know prying him away from us? I think they’re likely seeing the success we’re having here and trying to throw a wrench in it. Doesn’t mean any of it is true.

I don’t blame them for trying to create drama here. They’re seeing what this team has been able to do in a few short years and want to put an end to it. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

2018- they all looked pretty happy together, Juddy looked on board with Hughes, woo and madden look like his picks and that everyone at the table is deferring to him. Satiar Shah and JD Burke, cooking uo major stinky balogne in this media melodrama. Weiser even at one point completely defers to Judd regarding a potential trade. Benning and wiser are listening to Judd the entire time here, and you can tell Benning was thrilled with Hughes. Judd, maybe seems not too excited about Hughes but banning is over the moon- see the back slap.

• Cheers 2

Aquilini has no business running a hockey team.  First he greedily pushes for free agents over prospects as a stipulation for the new GM in a self-delusion that we didn't need a rebuild and would make the playoffs in perpetuity. Of course we needed a compliant GM. But its ultimately up to him on who gets hired and fired. When finally, a few years ago, Judd was hired as chief scout, demoting our in-house king of incompetence since early on in the teams existence, Ron Delorme.  I think over all we have one of the worst records in the league for hits before Judd. (Yeah Ron was big on Pettersson, a clock is right at least once, but Judd liked him as well and ultimately it was Judd's decision to push him on JB)

Almost immediately our scouting improves, and we are batting above .500.  So much so that the Benning/Aquilini  #@$#show of revolving door of overvalued FA castoffs as a way to build a team is forgotten and they are forgiven because.......Boeser.....Pettersson.....Quinn.!  And apparently Judd pushed hard for Podkolzin as well. And we stumble into the beginnings of an actual rebuild anyways.

And what happens?  Only in Canuckland. Get rid of Gilman, a brilliant capologist, then dump Linden who reportedly wanted a more traditional rebuild, acquiring more prospects in the system, now its Brackett, a chief scout who finally starts turning Canucks luck at the draft around.

All so Weisbrod, who has left a trail of incompetence everywhere he has gone  including Calgary, can consolidate power over the scouting department. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2016/03/28/why-canucks-fans-are-concerned-about-john-weisbrod-s-influence/

No one selection stands out as troubling like the one Calgary used 21st overall on Mark Jankowski in the 2012 draft, though. Jankowski, ranked as the 43rd best North American skater by Central Scouting Services in that draft, represented a reach for the ages – and one the Flames trade down (from the pick used to select Zemgus Girgensons) to make. The Flames, and Weisbrod in particular, felt they’d cheated the system and unearthed a player that projected to be the best of his class.

A center with 7 points in 56 games for them last season!  That's just one example.

You know, Francesco, just because we have a long history of f-ing things up in Vancouver, does not oblige you to continue it. Now you're dumping a Flamer loser on us to steer our scouting. As a long time fan I'm so sick of this kind of arrogant incompetence.

Edited by kilgore
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Read the article too, it’s wrought with speculation. Somehow he has access to all these scouts around the league with inside knowledge of the inner workings and dynamics of the Canucks organization. Critical thinking will tell you that is very unlikely.

Did anyone ever stop and think that these other NHL scouts and execs might have a hidden agenda? Like I don’t know prying him away from us? I think they’re likely seeing the success we’re having here and trying to throw a wrench in it. Doesn’t mean any of it is true.

I don’t blame them for trying to create drama here. They’re seeing what this team has been able to do in a few short years and want to put an end to it. 

Haha, you are stuck trying to cling to an increasingly indefensible position... now resorting to illogical Conspiracy theories.

If the relationship between Benning and Brackett was solid then there is literally

no way that rumours originating from other clubs “pries him away from

us.”  That makes zero sense here in reality.  Those two guys KNOW their relationship and history, they don’t have to get it from the rumour mill.

There are too many independent reporters and hockey guys with independently verified inside sources indicating they don’t have a good working relationship.... yet your random fan theory which doesn’t gene make sense is supposed to outweigh app

of that.

• Like 1

This quarantine is really messing with people's minds.

Now people starting to believe there's a conspiracy by opposing team scouts to spread falsehoods about Canucks in order to steal Brackett from us.. 

I'd think these scouts would be better served to try and get promoted to position of chief scout rather than start rumours in hopes of stealing Brackett to be their boss..

• Haha 1