The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

There you guys go.. 

Even NHL executives are thinking exactly what I'm thinking..

And when they notice how safe it is here they won't be able to sit inside. 

They will wear a hat or hoodie and a facemask and go for walks. No one will recognise them behind a mask and hoodie.

The quote was more about now where there is no bubble environment where all relies on players understanding that they are at risk of catching covid at any moment and spreading it to others.  Players can respect the law but still catch the virus by going out and about and not taking all necessary precautions.

They talk of an airtight bubble environment for phase 4.  No one should be able to go in or out of the bubble that is not authorised to.

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Just read about the CBA negotiations for return to play/ future cap etc and this dozy stuck out at me. So, it's not exactly going back on the Luongo rule, but pretty much. Gotta love those crooked bleeping bleepstains.

• Players aged 35 and over can sign multi-year deals that are flat or ascending and there will be no cap hit if they retire before the deal is up (previously, the cap hit stayed no matter what).

come at me kelsey grammer GIF by HULU

Luongo's deal was front-loaded where they tagged a few years at a negligible salary to reduce the overall cap hit.  Here it's flat or backloaded.  There will be no benefit by tagging on years.  Flat it doesn't change the cap hit.  Backloaded it increases the cap hit.

If a team hands out a multi year deal they are doing it on the expectation the player will play the full deal.  Under the recapture rule teams were for the most part expecting players to not play the full length of their contracts.

Pronger admitted that he was looking for a 3 or 4 year deal and the Flyers convinced him to take a longer deal with the understanding that he will retire earlier.  Zetterberg told something similar to Swedish media that it was always understood that he will not play his full contract and that they tagged on the final years to reduce the cap hit.  Even Gillis admitted that he was always expecting Luongo to finish on LTIR.

LA has a recapture penalty on their books for Richards.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Luckily, a lot of their players hadn’t returned to St. Louis yet to practice. But of the small group who were practicing together, O’Reilly, Tarasenko, and Pietrangelo were all in the mix.

Edited by Slegr

They should make a rule that if any one gets caught leaving the bubble they will not be allowed back in.. they are immediately sent home. No exceptions except a medical emergency. 

The public shame it would bring will help players stay inside the bubble.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Luongo's deal was front-loaded where they tagged a few years at a negligible salary to reduce the overall cap hit.  Here it's flat or backloaded.  There will be no benefit by tagging on years.  Flat it doesn't change the cap hit.  Backloaded it increases the cap hit.

I dont give a crap about the wording or structure of hypothetical contracts. The reality is the league is allowing contracts to be signed with no penalty (to the team) if a player retires before term expires. That's the point.  

You and Deniro can be league apologists all you want, but early retirement is early retirement.

As a Canucks fan (which we all know you actually aren't) I'm allowed to claim hypocrisy in this tweak to the CBA and call bull$&!#. 

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

You're worried about 1200 people in a nation of 35 million people, whom are taking more care than those said people? What am I missing in your stance?

I said I couldn't care less about them, I care about an outbreak in our country because of it

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

These positive cases were always going to happen. This doesn’t do much to change things.

Quarantine the players, sanitize the facilities, start again and learn from mistakes. 

All part of the process.

Those players were tested but still caught the virus.  It's the team's practice facilities with private dressing room for the Blues.  This document explains how team and players have to act at the facilities during phase 2 including wearing masks and all the sanitisation protocols:

https://media.nhl.com/site/vasset/public/attachments/2020/05/13993/NHL Phased Return to Sport Protocol-COMBINED-FINAL.pdf

The concerns GMs are having is players not keeping safe outside of the rink where they can't force anyone to self-isolate or wear a mask.  

They notably ask players to continue following phase 1 protocol (which looks like only few players ended up doing - it's self-isolation).  They can't enforce it though and players are still out and about and not necessarily wearing masks or social distancing as local rules have relaxed.

ACTIVITIES OUTSIDE OF CLUB FACILITIES

Outside of the individual training to take place at Club Facilities, it is important that all Club personnel, including Players, continue to adhere to the personal precautions recommended by the CDC, as well as any additional direction that may be issued by your local health authority and Club Medical staff. As such, Players are strongly recommended to continue to exercise “distancing” behavior, practicing the same social/physicaldistancing measures as observed during Phase 1 of the League’s “pause” in the 2019/20 Season. Specifically:

1. Players and Club personnel shall continue to stay at home as much as possible and practicable and must avoid unnecessary interactions with non-family members.

2. Players shall not physically spend social time together in close contact.

3. As noted above, Players participating in Phase 2 are not permitted to work out or skate at any public facility or other location, except as may be permitted by the Club, and may not organize any Player skates or group skates outside of the small group sessions organized by the Club.

Edited by mll

23 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I dont give a crap about the wording or structure of hypothetical contracts. The reality is the league is allowing contracts to be signed with no penalty (to the team) if a player retires before term expires. That's the point.  

You and Deniro can be league apologists all you want, but early retirement is early retirement.

As a Canucks fan (which we all know you actually aren't) I'm allowed to claim hypocrisy in this tweak to the CBA and call bull$&!#. 

It's already the case.  Beagle, Sutter or Edler can retire early and it won't impact the cap as they don't have recapture contracts.  They are now extending that rule to age 35 contracts provided the cap is flat or backloaded.

Luongo is a penalty because those tagged years were considered artificial to lower the cap hit.  It's not the case if they backload the contract or keep it flat.  There's no benefit on tagging on artificial years.  

Edited by mll

I've always enjoyed the Eagle.  I always give him a hard time while I watch the games, I swear the guy hits more shin pads with his shot than anyone in the NHL. But he is a constant battler and has been a rock on defense for us every year.  He's battled some injuries but always shows up which is all you can ask for. Looking forward to his leadership in the play-in and play offs!!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, kloubek said:

With multiple Blues players infected now and their facility shut down, things are really looking bleak. I do hope we move forward - it is the only way our team has a shot at anything.

It already happened with the lightning and they have resumed practice.

The blues are expected to resume practice on Monday.

So no it is not that serious. However it is important to identify how and when these players got infected in order to avoid a repeat.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It already happened with the lightning and they have resumed practice.

The blues are expected to resume practice on Monday.

So no it is not that serious. However it is important to identify how and when these players got infected in order to avoid a repeat.

Well that's the thing. First Tampa. Now the Blues. These players knew they would be coming back and practicing and managed to get it anyway. Hell, there is fallout from JV not doing his part. It could be anywhere.

Any team can fall victim and the closer we get to drop dead time with this still happening the less chance a covid-free playoff could even happen. I can't see players too eager to play when other players keep getting infected. I know there are all sorts of protocols but they are clearly not enough so far.

The bubbles these players will have to live in to avoid a cluster will be tight. If one occurs after resuming of play I can't see how anything could continue. Especially since the 2-hub plan means everyone shares facilities.

This is a season that will be impossible to forget. As much as we may all want to...

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, luckylager said:

You’re comparing apples and oranges.  35+ contracts and cap circumvention back diving contracts have NOTHING to do with each other.  

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This is why hockey needs to move to Canada. Close the borders.

That's terrifying and disgusting that they are charging for tests.  He does seem uncessarily hostile toward JT and DF when I don't think ether of them has even hinted at any desire to open the borders any time soon.

• Cheers 1

I appreciate this guy's update on what's happening south of the border. It's sad that Trump refuses to head the advice of professionals. I say keep the border closed as long as there are active cases in the US. Could be a while. We'll see what happens now after their 4th of July celebrations. 

• Cheers 2