The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

Training camp starts next Monday and they are expected to travel to the bubble of phase 4 on the 26th.  This is the protocol for phase 3:

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/317329636/binary-file/file.pdf

Players have to practice strict self-distancing and wear masks outside of the facilities too.  They are asked to stay at home as much as possible the final week before travelling to the bubble and restrict their social circle to those who live in the same household. 

J.  PHASE 3 - SOCIAL DISTANCING, PPE AND OTHER SAFETY MEASURES

Please note that the following requirements denote the minimum standard Clubs must abide by during Phase 3. A Club, or any Player or member of the Club’s staff may follow more stringent safety precautions while in the Club facilities should he/she choose to do so.

1. SOCIAL DISTANCING:

Players and “Player Access” Club personnel shall maintain 6-foot physical distance (“social distancing”) from each other at all times while in, and outside of, the Club facilities.

Players shall be discouraged from socializing with one another in close contact while at (or outside of) the Club’s facilities.

[...]

2.1 USE OF PPE - PLAYERS:

Face coverings (cloth or surgical-type mask) shall be worn when entering or leaving the Club facility and, while inside the Club facility, and where social distancing cannot be maintained, such as in one on one sessions with an athletic trainer or massage therapist.

Players are not required to wear face coverings when they are exercising or on the ice.

3.1 OTHER SAFETY MEASURES - COMMUTING:

Players shall continue to avoid car-pooling or taking public transportation to the Club’s facility (including rideshares and taxis). If no other alternative is feasible, the Club shall make arrangements to pick up and drop off the Player at his residence and all such drivers must wear gloves and a mask/face covering.

M.  ACTIVITIES OUTSIDE OF CLUB FACILITIES

Outside of Training Camp activities at the Club Facility, it is important that all Club personnel, including Players, continue to adhere to the personal precautions recommended by the CDC, as well as any additional direction that may be issued by your local health authority and Club Medical staff. As such, Players are strongly recommended to continue to exercise “distancing” behavior, practicing the same social/physicaldistancing measures as observed during Phases 1 & 2 of the League’s “pause” in the 2019/20 Season. Specifically:

1. Players and Club personnel shall continue to stay at home as much as possible and practicable and must avoid unnecessary interactions with non-family members.

2. Players shall not physically spend social time together in close contact.

3. As noted above, Players participating in Phase 3 are not permitted to work out or skate at any public facility or other location, and may not organize any Player skates or group

skates outside of the small group sessions organized by the Club.

4. As much as possible, those in closest contact with Players, such as his spouse, partner, children or any other household members should have limited contact with individuals outside of the Player’s residence , so as to limit secondary exposure to Players and “Player Access” personnel.

N.  PREPARATION REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAVEL TO THE PHASE 4 SECURE ZONE

It is expected that for any Player or Club personnel traveling to the Phase 4 Secure Zone, there will be strict adherence to the testing and pre-travel physical distancing protocols described in the table below. [...]

Failure to adhere to these requirements may restrict or delay eligibility for travel.

• Physical Distancing 14 days Pre-Travel:  Adhere to diligent preventative measures (e.g., strict physical distancing, use of masks, frequent hand washing)
  • Physical Distancing 7 days Pre-Travel:  Stay at home as much as possible and avoid unnecessary interactions with non-family members.  
    It is strongly recommended that family members limit their exposure to non-family members during this pre- travel 7-day period to the extent possible, and to stay home as much as possible to reduce potential exposure of Club individuals.

Edited by mll

It's great that they chose Canada and thats a big hurdle to get over, but they are still a long way from playing.  Unless players living in the US have been completely isolating, there's a good chance a significant portion of players may test positive before they get here.

Using the depth (black aces) will be more critical this year than ever before. With so many games congested, you gotta keep bodies healthy. Strategic coaching and deployment (on top of who gets hot the fastest) will be critical. This doesn't really differ from other playoff years, but I think teams will be dipping into their depth much more.

The teams that have a bye from the play in would seem to have an advantage, but the play in teams will be more into by the time they face them and which will likely take away any skill advantage the top teams had. Teams that can sweep the play in series are the teams I'd watch for that will be pushing for the Cup IMO as they will have things in gear and have those extra games on hand over the next round plus suffering the least mileage and potential injury and can rest for the next round. If they do beat one of the bye teams, then that momentum should continue to carry them.

Has it been determined where the finals will be played? The team that has to travel will be at a disadvantage to readjust to the new hub and worry about the travel conditions and lose some practice time. I assume it'll be in Toronto and the Stanley Cup is likely there already.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

Perhaps it is time hockey came up with a new term to describe players that don't play regularly, but are there for injury relief in the play offs?

Small thing, but maybe the right thing.

Is there a racial connotation to "black aces"?  I thought it referenced a card from a card deck?  What am I missing?  

Switch to calling them "jokers"?  "Kings of Spades"?  

• Wat 1

Just now, skategal said:

Is there a racial connotation to "black aces"?  I thought it referenced a card from a card deck?  What am I missing?  

"Benchwarmers" 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, skategal said:

If the SFU nickname "Clan" is being pressured for change, even though Clan refers to scottish clans and not KK Klan then the term Black Aces can be misconstrued as well.

One could think that Black Ace is a back of the bus, only play when your betters are injured thing.

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

If the SFU nickname "Clan" is being pressured for change, even though Clan refers to scottish clans and not KK Klan then the term Black Aces can be misconstrued as well.

One could think that Black Ace is a back of the bus, only play when your betters are injured thing.

I've also thrown out all my blackstrap molasses and taken a sharpie to any 'black hole' references in any of our books :P

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Do you agree with the pressure being put on to change the "Clan" nickname ?  to me it is ridiculous. do we have to change everything that can be misconstrued rather than clarifying the true meaning of such names ? 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I've also thrown out all my blackstrap molasses and taken a sharpie to any 'black hole' references in any of our books :P

So when referring to the astronomical phenomena previously known as a "black hole" do you just leave the "black' part blank?

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Do you agree with the pressure being put on to change the "Clan" nickname ?  to me it is ridiculous. do we have to change everything that can be misconstrued rather than clarifying the true meaning of such names ? 

Standing in front of a tidal wave is not good for one's longevity. 

I try to remember these changes are not about me and my feelings.