The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THN: More explosive and shocking allegations against junior hockey in newly filed lawsuit

Rate this topic

Toews

MORE EXPLOSIVE AND SHOCKING ALLEGATIONS AGAINST JUNIOR HOCKEY IN NEWLY FILED LAWSUIT

“These are systemic issues that have been in place for quite a while. There has been a good deal of knowledge in the hockey world that abuses are taking place. And to this day, we have the leagues being very slow to respond to these types of abuse," says the lawyer representing the plaintiffs

Just three days after a former major junior hockey player alleged that he was forced to do cocaine in a bathroom as a rookie with the Kitchener Rangers in 2016, two former CHL players have launched a class-action lawsuit alleging that players aged 15 to 17 were, “routinely victims to hazing, bullying, physical and verbal harassment, physical assault, sexual harassment, and sexual assault.”

The lawsuit, launched in Toronto on Thursday afternoon against the Canadian Hockey League, the Western League, the Ontario League and the Quebec League, was brought forth by Daniel Carcillo and Garrett Taylor. And the allegations are explosive and disturbing. According the lawsuit, players in the class were, among other things, forced to masturbate in front of teammates and coaches and forced to sexually assault teammates, to consume saliva, urine, semen and feces of other players and to sexually engage with animals. It is also alleged that players had heavy objects tied to their genitals, had their genitals dipped in irritants and toxic liquids and had objects such as hockey sticks, brooms and food forced into their anuses. It is also alleged that players were forced to consume large amounts of alcohol and illicit drugs.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/more-explosive-and-shocking-allegations-against-junior-hockey-in-newly-filed-lawsuit

As someone who has followed junior hockey and specifically the OHL for a long a time. This does not shock me at all, most of this has already been covered.

Edited by Toews
  • Wat 2

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/more-explosive-and-shocking-allegations-against-junior-hockey-in-newly-filed-lawsuit

As someone who has followed junior hockey and specifically the OHL for a long a time. This does not shock me at all, most of this has already been covered.

That is absolutely &^@#ing disgusting!
I thought fraternities were bad, there is some sick and demented $&!# on there!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

That is absolutely &^@#ing disgusting!
I thought fraternities were bad, there is some sick and demented $&!# on there!

Yeah some of this makes masturbating into a potted plant seem like polite behaviour. 

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

What the &^@# is wrong with adults that are doing this?

I gotta be honest, you put a hockey stick in my ass, I am going to stick a knife into your gut.

The adults usually tend to look the other way. Kids are especially vulnerable being away from their families, you probably know your billet family as much as your teammates. Are you going to be talking about the abuse with relative strangers? Probably not, so stuff just keeps getting shoved under the rug. When the family calls lots of kids just put on a brave face and tell them how great it is to live out the dream. And believe me there is something of an status that comes with being a player in the major junior. Family has made sacrifices to allow the kid to live out their dream so kids feel even more pressure to live up to demands of coaches and society. In hockey especially coaches have a ton of control over your destiny, whether you get to play and with whom. 

Edit: Just want to clarify that I am not saying that Carcillo's experience is the norm, there was something seriously wrong with that Sting team.

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 3

I would never want any of my kids to play in any Jr Hockey league in Canada.   That kind of behavior would haunt you for life. 

No sport is worth risking your mental well being for.     Parents need to spend more time reading books / having educational discussions with their kids.

An education is a way safer bet for your childs long term  health / quality of life.... compared to hockey. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would never want any of my kids to play in any Jr Hockey league in Canada.   That kind of behavior would haunt you for life. 

No sport is worth risking your mental well being for.     Parents need to spend more time reading books / having educational discussions with their kids.

An education is a way safer bet for your childs long term  health / quality of life.... compared to hockey. 

BCHL? Path to college and free education? 

Best of both worlds? 

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Best of both worlds? 

Hmmmm.   - maybe.

BCHL kids still billot and i would prefer my kids to live with me during highschool......

Not really sure what kind of highschool ed they get.  My nephew played in the league for Victoria and Langley and he told me the players played poker all evenings... and skipped out of school mostly...

He had 25 goals in 50 games ...   he walked away - retired and did not even play  his last season though.   He turned down any NCAA offers. he had ...   He said the BCHL experience wasn't that great.....      He has done super well since with a great career. - bought his first  townhouse at 25 yrs old. 

Sucks that kids need to almost choose between hockey and education here in Canada 

I know a guy with 300 games in the WHL - went on to play in France / Italy / ECHL / AHL ( a few games )  and CHL - never went to any Uni at all. 

I think i remember reading that in Sweden it is very different...

Edited by kingofsurrey

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Best of both worlds? 

People have been speculating if the rise of a the number of Canadian athletes going that route is correlated to the stories which have been coming out about the CHL the past few years. 

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hmmmm.   - maybe.

BCHL kids still billot and i would prefer my kids to live with me during highschool......

Not really sure what kind of highschool ed they get.  My nephew played in the league for Victoria and Langley and he told me the players played poker all evenings... and skipped out of school mostly...

He had 25 goals in 50 games ...   he walked away - retired and did not even play  his last season though.   He turned down any NCAA offers. he had ...   He said the BCHL experience wasn't that great.....      He has done super well since with a great career. - bought his first  townhouse at 25 yrs old. 

Sucks that kids need to almost choose between hockey and education here in Canada 

I know a guy with 300 games in the WHL - went on to play in France / Italy / ECHL / AHL ( a few games )  and CHL - never went to any Uni at all. 

I think i remember reading that in Sweden it is very different...

Well, it's different in all of Europe because it's a different system. The pro clubs run their own junior and children teams with 100% of their players except the pros being local and there's no such thing as a draft. Honestly this is how it should be in Canada as well, problem is the US teams would suck and we can't have that now can we? Honestly though if the NHL wanted to make a more serious impact in the US, this would be how to do it.

Edited by canuckster19
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Toews said:

The adults usually tend to look the other way. Kids are especially vulnerable being away from their families, you probably know your billet family as much as your teammates. Are you going to be talking about the abuse with relative strangers? Probably not, so stuff just keeps getting shoved under the rug. When the family calls lots of kids just put on a brave face and tell them how great it is to live out the dream. And believe me there is something of an status that comes with being a player in the major junior. Family has made sacrifices to allow the kid to live out their dream so kids feel even more pressure to live up to demands of coaches and society. In hockey especially coaches have a ton of control over your destiny, whether you get to play and with whom. 

Edit: Just want to clarify that I am not saying that Carcillo's experience is the norm, there was something seriously wrong with that Sting team.

I wonder if charges could be brought out against some of those that were involved.

Some of those practices are tantamount to sexual assault, also age of victims should be taken into consideration.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2