The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

He's looked much better this season, I must say myself, and has gotten better (like Higgins) as the season has progressed. Higgins, Bonino and Burrows are finding some good chemistry which is one thing he could never really develop last season so this will bode well for the trio down the line. Higgins and Burrows both desperately needed a bit of youth to keep their careers going and Bonino is the perfect breath of fresh air they needed.

• Upvote 2

But do we really need him?

Need him for what goal? Canucks won't win the 2015 Cup with him or without him. If he retired today, the Canucks would still field 12 forwards tomorrow.

He's a useful player, a veteran who has been on successful teams, has a good work ethic, defends and contributes on offence. When asked do the Canucks need him, though, the question becomes, need him for what?

If the question is intended to ask if he adds anything to the Canucks (so that they would be just as good without him) in my view the answer is absolutely, he adds to the Canucks and that they would not be as good without him. Further, having those veterans is useful for younger players, so for those like Kassian, Vey, Stanton and, presumably before Burrows' career is over, others such as Horvat, Jensen, Shink, Gaunce, Cassels, Virtanen, McCann etc it is helpful to have hard-working, knowledgeable veterans to pick a few things up from.

Don't get me wrong I love Burr, but I'd love him a lot more at 2.5m Not the 4.2m he's making for the kind of player he is.

Capgeek shows him at salaries of

2013-14 $6 million

2014-15 $5 million

2015-16 $4 million

2016-17 $3 million

with an annual cap hit of $4.5million.

Edited by tyhee

If his cap hit is 4.5 million per year, than he better be getting second line numbers.

Overall, he's played fairly well so far, but he needs to stop taking dumbass penalties and just play.

Burr has four minors so far...one vs. Caps was a reputation call that he didn't deserve IMO...the one against the Lightning was a dumb@$$ penalty that hurt the team's momentum...the other two I can't remember, so I'm thinking they were inconsequential. To Burr's defence, he played great in the Lightning game, except for the selfish retaliation penalty he took.

If Burr can sustain this kind of play until the trade deadline, he'll have great value if the Canucks find themselves to be sellers at that time. If the Canucks are in the hunt, then we'll have a battle tested vet...an Alex Burrows playing well is great for the Canucks on all accounts.

If his cap hit is 4.5 million per year, than he better be getting second line numbers.

Overall, he's played fairly well so far, but he needs to stop taking dumbass penalties and just play.

Last year the mean average for 2nd line production was 39 points. If Burr can keep his current pace throughout the season he'll finish the season with 50 points.

Don't get me wrong I love Burr, but I'd love him a lot more at 2.5m Not the 4.2m he's making for the kind of player he is.

What you get for around $2.5m is Matt Cooke who hasn't cracked 30 points in 82 games since the 11/12 season. Or how about Brandon Prust for $2.5m? He hasn't cracked 20 points since the 10/11 season. Eric Nystrom signed at $2.5m last year. He tied his career high 21 points last season. Sorry but $2.5m doesn't get you much of a ufa nowadays.

Burrows signed his current deal near the end of the shortened lockout season. He was on pace for a 42 point season if it were 82 games. And the the previous four seasons had 52, 48, 67 and 51 points. Considerably better than guys recently signing at $2.5m.

• Upvote 1

I am content with burrows thus far, minus the penalties but that should be fixed with time. He knows he can't take dumb penalties like the TBL game.

His production has been fine for a 2nd liner and I think it will even improve as he gets his feet wet. Let's not forget that he never got a chance to get into a rythym last year.

Even if he doesn't produce second line numbers he can still be a very serviceable player on a shutdown line. If we make it into the playoffs we are going to need a line to take on the number one lines of the west. Something none of our lines can do right now IMO.

I'm still hoping that at some point this season, certain players will have progressed enough that our lines will look like this.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Jensen - Bonino - Kassian

Burrows - Horvat - Higgins

Dorsett - Richardson - Vey

If we can comfortably get to this point, we'll be ok.

• 2 weeks later...