The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

I still have more time for Burr.

Loved his comments on Higgins. He so understood! But was not ready to throw in the towel himself?

"Yeah Chris saw it coming."

Paraphrasing > I learned from Naslund and Bert. It can happen so quickly if you let it! Blink and its gone. Enjoy your time in the NHL & make it count while your here...

Under his breath in French; "I'm not giving it up yet XO!$#5! !"

Burr still goes to the corners. Fends guys 30 lbs his senior off in front of the net with his stick. As if its a sword. Fore-checks like a hound! Look, his skating is a steps lower. His hands not quite as slick?  They are still more deft than any credited his future outlook when he played ECHL. My point is he will scrap till the day they drag him off the ice. Its very different than Higgins! 

The youngsters can learn they'll lose a tooth in practice fighting for a puck.

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, clam linguine said:

As myself and others have stated before, what happens to Burrows is redundant (because his trade value has bottomed). Lets move 29+ year olds who's trade value has not bottomed.  If we move them, there will be plenty of room for youngsters, and we should want to have Burrows around for the last year of his contract. 

If buyout opportunities are limited I would never want to waste one on Alex's contract. One year at 4 million is chicken feed.

So you're saying we need Burr, but should trade Hansen?  You know I like that.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I still have more time for Burr.

Loved his comments on Higgins. He so understood! But was not ready to throw in the towel himself?

"Yeah Chris saw it coming."

Paraphrasing > I learned from Naslund and Bert. It can happen so quickly if you let it! Blink and its gone. Enjoy your time in the NHL & make it count while your here...

Under his breath in French; "I'm not giving it up yet XO!$#5! !"

Burr still goes to the corners. Fends guys 30 lbs his senior off in front of the net with his stick. As if its a sword. Fore-checks like a hound! Look, his skating is a steps lower. His hands not quite as slick?  They are still more deft than any credited his future outlook when he played ECHL. My point is he will scrap till the day they drag him off the ice. Its very different than Higgins! 

The youngsters can learn they'll learn a tooth in practice fighting for a puck.

This^^^^

Burrows is not tradeable ( no return due to his $$$ rich contract and declining play )  so i kinda agree maybe we could keep him and just scratch him as needed next year. He would be a decent 13th forward and even sent down to Utica as needed.  Next years higgins.

Make more sense to trade forwards that can bring a return  eg. Vrbata and Hansen.

Our team will look different next year for sure. Exciting to see the kids keep improving and pushing a few of the vets out. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry I should have clarified after his contract. ...I bet he could even fetch us a 3rd rounder as an upcoming ufa at next years deadline.

Burrows at 2M or less as a 4th line dept guy who can grind down the other team, kill penalties and pot you 10 to 15 goals would be awesome.

Edited by Vanisleryan

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Burrows is not tradeable ( no return due to his $$$ rich contract and declining play )  so i kinda agree maybe we could keep him and just scratch him as needed next year. He would be a decent 13th forward and even sent down to Utica as needed.  Next years higgins.

Make more sense to trade forwards that can bring a return  eg. Vrbata and Hansen.

Our team will look different next year for sure. Exciting to see the kids keep improving and pushing a few of the vets out. 

C'mon!   Thirteenth forward only!   Utica!      I'll give you a rep point anyway.  lol

this is why we love guys like Burrows on our team. Gotta love the Burr!

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=805604&utm_source=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=&hootPostID=a28fe901b45e49a84de807c337cbcc3a

By Derek Jory

Feb116_soup1_g.jpg

For Ben Szakun, wonton soup is more than an ancient Chinese entrée.

The mixture of dumplings, noodles and broth signifies perseverance, triumph, the end of one conquest and the beginning of another journey.

And, most importantly, hope.

The 15-year-old from North Delta has eaten a lot of soup over the years and he’s earned every slurp of his comfort food. Born with congenital heart defect, Ben has undergone 14 surgeries and procedures, beginning with a 14-hour open-heart surgery when he was just six-months-old.

A myriad of different problems with the plumbing of Ben’s heart presented at birth and he now lives with an internal pacemaker and defibrillator; you wouldn’t know it from looking at him, but he’s part Ironman.

He’s got the same tenacity of Tony Stark as well.

That’s what recently drew Ben to sharing wonton soup with his hero at Kirin restaurant in Vancouver.

Because of the difficulties Ben has overcome, the Make-A-Wish Foundation BC & Yukon Chapter gave him the opportunity to have a wish come true, whatever wish he could dream up.

His three older siblings envisioned a tropical family vacation. Mom thought visiting Oprah would be neat. Dad knew it would be hockey related, most likely involving the Canucks.

Ben was precise with his request: “I wish to have wonton soup with Alexandre Burrows!”

Feb116_soup5_dl.jpg

Next thing Ben knew, he was at Rogers Arena watching the Canucks practice in late January. Wearing a yellow, orange and black flying skate jersey, with a blue Canucks Burrows shirt underneath, Ben admired his idols from a far until he was given media access to the dressing room post-practice. That’s when he met Alex Burrows for the first time and thus began the best afternoon of Ben’s life.

He received a personal tour of the Canucks room from Burrows ending a Gate 16 of Rogers Arena, where a black stretch limousine was waiting. Ben and Alex were first in, following by Ben’s parents Jerry and Janet, his sister, and three staff members from Make-A-Wish and the Canucks.

Feb116_soup2_rr.jpg

It was a relaxed drive through the streets of downtown Vancouver, giving Ben and Alex time to bond. The 11-year Canucks veteran did most of the talking as the 11-year Canucks fan sat in awe, lost for words in the presence of the one and only Alex Burrows.

But why Burrows? What about the gritty forward agreed with Ben so much he painted his room Canucks colours, has a shrine of pictures of him plastered everywhere and caused Ben to mimic the forward’s bow and arrow celebration after he scored his first ball hockey goal a few years ago?

For starters, the number 14 has always been special to the Szakun family because Jerry wore it growing up. Yet even if Burrows had chosen a different number, Janet believes her son would have gravitated to the grinder anyways.

“Burrows is his mentor because he sees him pushing hard and through a lot of adversity,” explained Janet. “There are times when Ben doesn’t feel like doing this or that, and he knows he has to push past it. Since Ben was five-years-old, Burrows has been on the ice giving everything and trying his best. Ben has been doing the same, giving everything he has.”

Feb116_soup3_biggy.jpg

During lunch, which began with wonton soup, conversation ranged from Burrows’ favourite hockey memories and fight to make the NHL, to how Jerry isn’t known for taking good family photos and Janet being in awe of how nice Burrows is.

Ben was eerily quiet. He soaked in the experience.

“He was so excited this week, I just wish he could have relaxed a bit more, he had some questions he was too shy to ask, but this experience will stay with him forever,” said Janet.

“What really hit home for me was Burrows saying that even in pro hockey it’s not all rainbows, you have to work hard and that being mentally strong is very important. Everybody has challenges, everybody has things they have to push past and I really appreciated Burrows explaining that.

Feb116_soup4_rr.jpg

“For Ben, this hurts and he gets tired and sometimes you just want to rest and not push past it, but then you have to dig deep and keep going. I think that’s why he’s bonded with him.”

The meal ended with Burrows giving Ben a personalized jersey and tickets for the family to watch the Canucks face the Nashville Predators the following night.

There were also some numbers scribbled in the ticket envelope, 10 numbers to be exact.

“If you need anything,” said Burrows, “or want to talk when things aren’t going well, give me a call. I admire your fight and I'm here for you.”

Future wonton soup it is.

Edited by Toni Zamboni
  • Upvote 4

A Burrows retained 50% is a pretty decent 2.25 million option for another team. That should have takers. And it opens up a spot for one of Gaunce, Zalewski, Shinkaruk, or a free agent. Anyone over 30 in the bottom six is holding back rookies at this point.

• Upvote 4

I like Burrows but I also think a lot of the non calls against the Canucks by the officials are because of his actions. Look how many times hes been cross checked, slashed, tripped and mugged right in front of the ref and no call made. But who knows there has been some pretty brutal officiating around the league and will continue unfortunately for another 7 yrs. As i dont see Bettman making changes as to how games are called.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:40 PM, Alflives said:

Burr is worth nothing in trade.  He's on the top of the list for guys not named Higgins, who have term, that should be bought out. 

I don't see it that way at all. burr never takes a shift off does anything the team expects of him kill penalty's and is a good veteran presence and has aknack for scoring big goals. maybe not like he was in the 2011playoffs, but u nedd vets to be a part of the mix with youth otherwise we might as well stop laughing at the oilers cuz that's the road we would be headed down. ya I think our young guys will be fine in a couple of years, but whats it be 30 plus games since mcann scoreed and virt has what 3 goals?and please don't use that they play limited minutes. As I recall so did bo and he used every minute wisely to me its no surprise the nucks had a decent could have been great January with the arrival of the vey etem burr line that has looked better on most nights then bad I say i still say trtade vrbata and let shink have that spot and keep the rest the same next year hopefully gaunce can make the team and and not look out of place. I truly believe gaunce has a higher cethen most think. nice problems to  have

2 hours ago, bp79 said:

I don't see it that way at all. burr never takes a shift off does anything the team expects of him kill penalty's and is a good veteran presence and has aknack for scoring big goals. maybe not like he was in the 2011playoffs, but u nedd vets to be a part of the mix with youth otherwise we might as well stop laughing at the oilers cuz that's the road we would be headed down. ya I think our young guys will be fine in a couple of years, but whats it be 30 plus games since mcann scoreed and virt has what 3 goals?and please don't use that they play limited minutes. As I recall so did bo and he used every minute wisely to me its no surprise the nucks had a decent could have been great January with the arrival of the vey etem burr line that has looked better on most nights then bad I say i still say trtade vrbata and let shink have that spot and keep the rest the same next year hopefully gaunce can make the team and and not look out of place. I truly believe gaunce has a higher cethen most think. nice problems to  have

Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden would try their hardest too, and not take shifts off - if they still played.  However, no matter how hard they tried, they would still be too old to keep up.  Burrows is now playing like he's too old to keep up.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden would try their hardest too, and not take shifts off - if they still played.  However, no matter how hard they tried, they would still be too old to keep up.  Burrows is now playing like he's too old to keep up.

It's a young mans game, isn't it?  Legs usually go first, just ask Prust or Higgy.