The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

On 2/28/2017 at 3:22 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Just came to mind this morning, but Burrows is in some very select company with Stan Smyl and Tiger Williams, all of which did more with less, don't get me wrong, they all had talent........but all played above their ceilings, and their shear will elevated them in games to hero status.....Burrows will surely be missed, and it will be hard to replace his passion.......

Who will fill his shoes? If anyone? Labate?

Are you serious? I think he will struggle to stay in the AHL. He has got a lot of work to do on just about every aspect of his game imo.

I don't think the guy to fill Burr's shoes is here yet.

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2008 at 0:34 PM, clutch said:

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

1197 people and counting to be exact. You sure came up clutch with this thread.

Ring of Honour, no doubt. Retired jersey? No.

I think people need to realise that retired numbers are for the GREATS... I would even argue that Naslund shouldn't have been retired, but that's a moot point. Daniel and Henrik will be retired, but that's about it for that generation of player. I could even see Hansen getting into the ROH once his career is done. 10 years of service isn't something to scoff at.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DirtyYerocmai said:

He was a good player for the team. Scored some big goals. Was heart and soul. However I would not retire his jersey or put in ring of honor. Let's be honest here. Again. Great guy. Only a Good player ... 

How many times have the Canucks been in the Canucks finals? Without Burrows the Canucks wouldn't have been there. ROH for sure, I'm a little stricter with jersey retirements right now the ones in the rafters  are a HOF and the rest past captains. I'd like the tradition of putting up captains that took the Canucks places.

11 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Jersey retired is a stretch. He was a great player, but had a bad reputation. Had a few big moments, but that doesn't allow him to be in the same ring as Linden or Smyll. 

What allows him to be in the same ring is the story of how he got, and stayed, here, which is incredibly unique and is a bar that can be set for aspiring players and prospects.

Reputation is what others conjure up...doesn't make it "fact".   People who get caught up with image and reputation may be missing the point.  Anyone standing in a place of opposition (and possible jealousy) can't paint a fair or accurate picture.  Reputation can be a snowball that grows as it rolls with momentum.    

You don't think Burr's been "targeted"?   That the reputation is only proven through others' accounts, but there are two sides to every coin?  Come on.

The day we base OUR decisions here as a team/city on what other's think of us is the day we've lost our identity completely and should just pack it in.  What's worth fighting for then?  Because the Brad Marchand or Dave Bolland or some other backs so it's so, doesn't make it so.  

I don't know that the Bruins quite care what Marchand "is"...they base it on what they know about him.  Pronger.  Avery.  Keith.  You can put a lot of players in a box that is labeled "bad rep".  Hell, the league determines some of that when they play favourites when administering discipline (or failing to).   

Auger.  He's part of Burr's "rep" but that slate should be wiped clean as he had a personal vendetta that came into play.  And this guy wasn't the most credible source, as it would turn out.  But that snowball gathered up his crud and grew bigger.  Guys like Ron McLean.  

There are people out there whose livings depend on having something/someone to talk about.  So when some are put under the microscope, a lot of lookie loos glom on.

If Burr's rep is so bad, why are other teams even interested in him at this point?   A 36 year old who could very well just fade out now? 

Because his rep also includes a demonstrated part as a hard worker.  A teammate who epitomises that concept.  A guy who doesn't give up. Someone who shows up and never backs away.  The guy who will pay a price, even if it means sacrificing his own body (or glory) to do so.  For the team.  A guy who will take paycuts to make things work.  One who is so loyal that he puts the team ahead of himself at times....even when leaving, he thinks of what's best for "everyone", not just himself.  There's something very special in that kind of individual.

"A few big moments" were huge...don't undermine them that way.  And he had a lot more than that....he was a worker bee, a put it all out there for my teammates player.  His work on mindcheck counts for something....his community involvement.  What he did went far beyond a "few moments".  

And if you don't know how to spell our players' names, not sure you qualify to know all about them.  It's Smyl.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

17021705_10154873662970549_7484335800506

Oh my!  That look on Burr's face is precious.  He's like a young kid, who is just having fun with his friends, and his mom is wondering what he's up to.  Thanks for posting!  If it's an Ottawa v San Jose final, who do we cheer for?  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh my!  That look on Burr's face is precious.  He's like a young kid, who is just having fun with his friends, and his mom is wondering what he's up to.  Thanks for posting!  If it's an Ottawa v San Jose final, who do we cheer for?  

That ties in to the "rep" debate I'm having. 

Some players play with a dirty edge and are malicious, hostile, aggravated, and looking to hurt others.  Burr loves the game, was having fun with it and, sure, even if he did cross the line at times, he was playing hockey for the love of the game and never out to take others out.  Not sure others aren't though.

He, Kes and Bieksa all were having fun with it.  Like the 3 musketeers (stooges, lol?).  Especially when they were younger.  

His rep is a guy who loves sports SO much that he'll give his all to be part of it.  And that's what he should be remembered for...not scrums that involved pushing and pulling.  The two sides of it says he took as much as he gave, so let's not forget THAT part.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Some players play with a dirty edge and are malicious, hostile, aggravated, and looking to hurt others.  Burr loves the game, was having fun with it and, sure, even if he did cross the line at times, he was playing hockey for the love of the game and never out to take others out.  Not sure others aren't though.

He, Kes and Bieksa all were having fun with it.  Like the 3 musketeers (stooges, lol?).  Especially when they were younger.  

His rep is a guy who loves sports SO much that he'll give his all to be part of it.  And that's what he should be remembered for...not scrums that involved pushing and pulling.  The two sides of it says he took as much as he gav e.

Absolutely.  

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

His rep is a guy who loves sports SO much that he'll give his all to be part of it.  And that's what he should be remembered for...not scrums that involved pushing and pulling.  The two sides of it says he took as much as he gav e.

Agreed, Bieksa, Kesler and Burrows were having lots of fun, and entertained us well. We as fans are lucky to have watched them play. The reason the Playoffs were so entertaining back then was because of them three. 2011 Playoffs were some of the best playoff series I've ever seen because of them three. The fights, hits, goals and drama, and as time goes on I'm slowly forgiving Kesler for his decision, and remembering all the great moments he has had on this team. I hope we can find three like this again to play for our team.

• Upvote 1

Inb4 this thread disappears into obscurity...

I guess this means I have to retire my only named Canucks jersey now. Time for a Horvat jersey!

Good luck Burrows. Heart and soul player, loved watching you over the years. Best of luck to you and your family in Ottawa.