The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

On 8/17/2017 at 0:22 PM, Tre Mac said:

Think I'll resist til Sunday.

So when this series is all said and done what do you think they'll do next(if anything)?  I imagine the amount of potential money is too much to just walk away so maybe a spinoff in the past? future?  Any movies?  A movie about Robert's Rebellion would be cool but TBH I don't know much of the history of Westeros. 

I expect one of the prequels will be the Dunk & Egg short stories.  I could see them doing Aegon conquering Westeros too. 

On 2017-08-19 at 4:47 PM, Gnarcore said:

One of the (many) things that I like about GoT is the fact that they use almost elusively European actors, where that word doesn't have nearly the stigma attached to it.

I loved it when Arya used it on the Waif.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2017 at 10:26 PM, GLASSJAW said:
  Reveal hidden contents

very intense episode. had the dragon bits spoiled unfortunately, but very intense still. arya acting like an idiot and SO out of character, doesn't really make a lot of sense to me

edit 1: also, where'd the white walkers get the 10,000 feet of chain from

and how'd they wrap it around the dragon if they can't swim?

and if they can swim, why did they not swim to them on the island?

edit 2: i wonder if the dragon will breathe fire or ice? it sure would be kinda cool if it was ice, and it would serve the white walkers' purpose of creating more, right? if the dragon just burns everything, they wouldn't turn into walkers. hmm?

also, the convo about death with dany just seemed like foreshadowing, or maybe it's a curveball? that last episode was the first time i've actually had a weird feeling that maybe tyrion could die before this is all through

don't click until you've seen the new ep

Good question about the chains...as far as wrapping them, I guess the Night's King doesn't really care if he has to sacrifice some of his zombies. He probably just let them sink down to wherever the dragon was.

When I read that people were crying after seeing the leaked episode, I honestly thought we were in for something worse than this. The loss of a dragon was being predicted for quite a while, so I was actually kind of expecting it. Thoros is a likable guy, but not a huge loss. The real question is, how did Jon ride all the way back to Eastwatch without dying of hypothermia?

A couple of questions about the Winterfell situation:

Why wasn't Sansa's answer to Cersei's invitation, "Frack off"? Instead she sends Brienne into the Lion's den? :huh:

Also agree on Arya. Not sure what game she's playing. If it's just a matter of creeping out her big sister, I'd say mission accomplished....

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Good question about the chains...as far as wrapping them, I guess the Night's King doesn't really care if he has to sacrifice some of his zombies. He probably just let them sink down to wherever the dragon was.

When I read that people were crying after seeing the leaked episode, I honestly thought we were in for something worse than this. The loss of a dragon was being predicted for quite a while, so I was actually kind of expecting it. Thoros is a likable guy, but not a huge loss. The real question is, how did Jon ride all the way back to Eastwatch without dying of hypothermia?

Why wasn't Sansa's answer to Cersei's invitation, "Frack off"? Instead she sends Brienne into the Lion's den? :huh:

Also agree on Arya. Not sure what game she's playing. If it's just a matter of creeping out her big sister, I'd say mission accomplished....

Arya used to be the hyper-focused, single-minded one. Now she just seems to be dicking around with her sister while the whole world is a mess.

I enjoyed this episode but some odd situations. 

What was the Hound thinkin when he tossed the rock?

The chains around the dragon seemed off but whatever. We all knew their was to be an ice dragon at some point. 

Why didn't Benjin just hop on the horse with Jon? The hoard of dead we're still quite distant from him. He could have just hung around Eastwatch if he couldn't completely cross the wall. 

The other dead trying to free the hostage wight was interesting as well. Didn't think they cared much for one another.

A lot of unrealistic weird stuff but I still enjoyed it overall. Hope to avoid and episode 7 leaks. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

He didn't have to. There were probably a couple hundred wights wondering around the bottom of the lake from the battle anyways. If the Night King can communicate with them, they'd just have to drop the chains. Where they got the chains from though I have no idea. Unless they were laying around Hardhome...

I didnt understand this either. Little finger suggested that Brienne would be forced to protect one daughter if the other was to harm the other. The next thing we know Brienne is off to Kingslanding. Was she thinking of doing away with Arya? If anyone needs the protection of Brienne, it would be Sansa. 

Edited by Canorth

3 hours ago, Canorth said:

He didn't have to. There were probably a couple hundred wights wondering around the bottom of the lake from the battle anyways. If the Night King can communicate with them, they'd just have to drop the chains. Where they got the chains from though I have no idea. Unless they were laying around Hardhome...

I didnt understand this either. Little finger suggested that Brienne would be forced to protect one daughter if the other was to harm the other. The next thing we know Brienne is off to Kingslanding. Was she thinking of doing away with Arya? If anyone needs the protection of Brienne, it would be Sansa.

Exactly my thinking. In fact when I saw people all over Twitter were "crying" after the episode and then I saw the scene where Arya tells Sansa what the faces are for, I was expecting a real fight between Brienne and Arya, where Brienne (or maybe Pod) end up getting Needled....

Who knew people had such a soft spot for Viserion?

Also, the loss of one of Dany's dragons blows a rather large hole in a popular theory:

Spoiler

"The dragon has three heads". Many people believe(d) that means that we will see three dragon riders before the series ends. Jon is obviously rider #2, but many people also believed that Tyrion would be the third. (Remember the scene in Meereen, when Rhaegal and Viserion allow Tyrion to get up close and personal, without cooking him?)

The theory goes that the Mad King exercised King's Prerogative with Joanna Lannister, impregnating her with what turned out to be her second son, Tyrion. So Tyrion is secretly a Targ and as such, a potential dragon rider. Unfortunately, with Viserrion's (un)death, it doesn't look like we'll see Dany, Jon and Tyrion riding (flying) into battle with the WW.

I actually think the producers are steering us down a different path now. The dragons are far too vulnerable to those ice spears and the revelation that killing a WW also puts his personal foot soldiers out of action, (I wonder why we didn't see any evidence of this at Hardhome) tells me that the focus will shift to taking out the Night's King. Drogon and Rhaegal will be used to clear the path for Jon (probably) to go one on one with the NK.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly my thinking. In fact when I saw people all over Twitter were "crying" after the episode and then I saw the scene where Arya tells Sansa what the faces are for, I was expecting a real fight between Brienne and Arya, where Brienne (or maybe Pod) end up getting Needled....

Who knew people had such a soft spot for Viserion?

Also, the loss of one of Dany's dragons blows a rather large hole in a popular theory:

Reveal hidden contents

"The dragon has three heads". Many people believe(d) that means that we will see three dragon riders before the series ends. Jon is obviously rider #2, but many people also believed that Tyrion would be the third. (Remember the scene in Meereen, when Rhaegal and Viserion allow Tyrion to get up close and personal, without cooking him?)

The theory goes that the Mad King exercised King's Prerogative with Joanna Lannister, impregnating her with what turned out to be her second son, Tyrion. So Tyrion is secretly a Targ and as such, a potential dragon rider. Unfortunately, with Viserrion's (un)death, it doesn't look like we'll see Dany, Jon and Tyrion riding (flying) into battle with the WW.

I actually think the producers are steering us down a different path now. The dragons are far too vulnerable to those ice spears and the revelation that killing a WW also puts his personal foot soldiers out of action, (I wonder why we didn't see any evidence of this at Hardhome) tells me that the focus will shift to taking out the Night's King. Drogon and Rhaegal will be used to clear the path for Jon (probably) to go one on one with the NK.

that sounds like it really could happen. their 'play' fight (and Brienne's reaction to it) could be pretty obvious foreshadowing, come to think of it.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

A lot of cool stuff happened in this episode.....but I feel like the quality of the show has taken a huge hit this season. Plot armour is well and truly in effect for the characters now.

GRRM would have had the stones to kill of Tormund or someone else of importance when the Suicide Squad was stranded on the lake. 

I don't mean to whine, it is still a great show, but it is not the same show. 

• Upvote 1

Best line I read today regarding last night's episode:

Quoting Tyrion to Dany "The most important person in the world can't go to the most dangerous place in the world", which is exactly what Kanye thinks before flying to Detroit for a concert....

On 19/08/2017 at 5:07 AM, Canorth said:

Take your own advice, man...

I appreciate that you put your spoiler in "hidden contents" but without giving a heads up as to what to expect if you open it, its kind of pointless. 

Hidden or 'spoiler' tags are generally used for a reason...

If you're in a popular movie/TV show thread, I think it's safe to assume you shouldn't open until after watching. Unless you don't care about being 'spoiled' anyway. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Hidden or 'spoiler' tags are generally used for a reason...

If you're in a popular movie/TV show thread, I think it's safe to assume you shouldn't open until after watching. Unless you don't care about being 'spoiled' anyway. 

Yeah, they are.... and in this thread they are mostly used for spoilers/theories stemming from the books. Something I am a fan of and expected here. Most people will put a disclaimer for their spoiler, like the OP did after, out of courtesy. 

Like I said in my post, I should have expected a spoiler for the leaked episode considering the nature of the conversation in the thread at the time, but I also enjoy reading theories. Not sure why its too much to ask for a heads up rather than a blind spoiler. 

2 hours ago, Canorth said:

Yeah, they are.... and in this thread they are mostly used for spoilers/theories stemming from the books. Something I am a fan of and expected here. Most people will put a disclaimer for their spoiler, like the OP did after, out of courtesy. 

Like I said in my post, I should have expected a spoiler for the leaked episode considering the nature of the conversation in the thread at the time, but I also enjoy reading theories. Not sure why its too much to ask for a heads up rather than a blind spoiler. 

All I'm saying, is that I figured out not to read it until after I watched it last night...

Could he have initially noted 'spoiler', as he eventually did, out of courtesy? Sure.

But you could have also waited a couple days to have read it just in case. Or quoted him asking if it was a spoiler or not. Or...

You had options - and responsibility for one's own actions. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

I expected more deaths, I was kind of disappointed.  The scenes with Arya and Sansa are becoming Cringe worthy, Frost Dany was looking hawt!  I know this is probably nothing but Bran, the old 3 eyed Raven and the Night King all walk the same weird way with their arms like it suppose to be on purpose.  I am a feeling the season finale will be one huge cliff hanging tease. 

Also looks like the Night King looted a Proto Drake Mount(that's a WoW reference).

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

All I'm saying, is that I figured out not to read it until after I watched it last night...

Could he have initially noted 'spoiler', as he eventually did, out of courtesy? Sure.

But you could have also waited a couple days to have read it just in case. Or quoted him asking if it was a spoiler or not. Or...

You had options - and responsibility for one's own actions. 

Agreed. You haven't seen the last released or leaked episode do not open this thread. 

It's not everyone else's job to hold your hand. This is day 1 stuff.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2017 at 3:44 AM, Canorth said:

I have a theory:

Spoiler

The Night's King forged the chains out of the jewelry from all the rappers in his undead army...B)

• Upvote 1