The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

I am going ahead and assuming that Benning would then,because of a lack of organisational depth,pays a premium and trades for a d man.

It is far less about hate but more to do with depth,which is what trading veterans is all about to begin with.

It is one of the only ways that management can remain competitive and acquire assets while not gutting the future

This is all predicated on the fact that management would not dress Corrado,whom you neglected to mention.

My take on Bieksa is that he played his best hockey paired with Willie Mitchel, they were one tough shut down pair, but afters Willies departure Bieksa has taken a different stride, trying to do more offensively without the saving grace of the big stay at home guy to cover for him. I, like alot of posters, really like Bieksa's character. Hes a great guy and I love watching interviews with him, hes a standup guy, and seems always ready to come to the defense of his team mates. I do, however, see that he is becoming a huge liability for Vancouver, especially now with Hamhuis out. In the Vancouver games Ive watched this season and last, its not at all hard to see he has lost a huge step. He's not a quick guy anymore and takes way to many chances, creates too many turnovers, takes undiciplined penalties etc. I do believe he still has a place on the Vancouver squad, however, I think his minutes should be more sheltered, and around the 15-17 per game mark. I can't really see him in any other teams sweater, but then again I thought that about Iginla too. I hope Kevin can turn his game around a bit and be a contributing factor to any success the team should see.

Even though his cap hit remains at 4.5, he's only getting paid 2.5 next year.

I really don't see his value being particularly high on the trade block. He's clearly lost a step and is no longer a top 4 guy, but I just don't see Benning getting rid of him any time soon - especially with the clause in his contract. If he DOES get shipped out, we're going to get minimal return for him and it would solely be a cap dump.

I think there is a far higher chance of seeing a forward get shipped out in favour of getting a defenceman back.

Even though his cap hit remains at 4.5, he's only getting paid 2.5 next year.

I really don't see his value being particularly high on the trade block. He's clearly lost a step and is no longer a top 4 guy, but I just don't see Benning getting rid of him any time soon - especially with the clause in his contract. If he DOES get shipped out, we're going to get minimal return for him and it would solely be a cap dump.

I think there is a far higher chance of seeing a forward get shipped out in favour of getting a defenceman back.

I disagree. I think he would fetch a surprisingly high return at or near the trade deadline.

For all his flaws he can still be a very effective piece in the right role and environment. I would be willing to bet several teams would line up for him actually. His cap hit is a bit high but he is also not a ufa rental.

Bieksa's now sunk to the 210 worst D in the whole entire league (out of 262) with Hamuseless at 209 and Sbisa at 236. Do you think that D-core will take us to the promised land? Bieksa's on the fast track to Florida!

1 - 210th worst based on what?

2 - Were you expecting the promised land this year?

Finding a defenseman to replace Bieksa would not be a simple task.

There are simply not a lot available... unless the Canucks want to trade their prospects.

Which would be stupid.

Better to keep Bieksa, reduce his minutes, and trade for a younger defenseman to slot into the bottom pairing who can play more minutes.

Bieksa's fine. Even when he is not on his game he is knocking himself out for the win. Heart and soul of the team.

You need guys like Bieksa to show the younger players what it takes to make a difference.

PS

Oh and he has just leapt out of the sin bin to score a cracking goal. Who would have guessed it :) I must be psychic.

Stepping in for Kesler, protecting the rookie Horvat last year in pre-season when Dorsett took a poke at him and not putting Lain against a goon like Westgarth.

Who's going to do that if Bieksa isn't there? Dorsett has been here for only a few months, Stanton hasn't been here long enough and I doubt he's playing a big part in the locker room. We need a young defenceman to just play beside Bieksa and whoever that kid is will probably take in what Bieksa does as a player and leader. I think everyone knows Bieksa is a leader on our team along with the Sedins and Burrows but those guys aren't necessarily fighters or strong enough to fight guys. I was just watching some videos of Bieksa fighting and it started to hit me that we're going to need someone like Bieksa, big, tough and has some skill.

In our system, I was thinking of someone like Stewart or Stanton. Leadership doesn't come from a UFA signing in the summer or a trade deadline move.

Finding a defenseman to replace Bieksa would not be a simple task.

There are simply not a lot available... unless the Canucks want to trade their prospects.

Which would be stupid.

Better to keep Bieksa, reduce his minutes, and trade for a younger defenseman to slot into the bottom pairing who can play more minutes.

We'd be hard pressed to find a d-man playing as bad as Bieksa, I agree.

Stepping in for Kesler, protecting the rookie Horvat last year in pre-season when Dorsett took a poke at him and not putting Lain against a goon like Westgarth.

Who's going to do that if Bieksa isn't there? Dorsett has been here for only a few months, Stanton hasn't been here long enough and I doubt he's playing a big part in the locker room. We need a young defenceman to just play beside Bieksa and whoever that kid is will probably take in what Bieksa does as a player and leader. I think everyone knows Bieksa is a leader on our team along with the Sedins and Burrows but those guys aren't necessarily fighters or strong enough to fight guys. I was just watching some videos of Bieksa fighting and it started to hit me that we're going to need someone like Bieksa, big, tough and has some skill.

In our system, I was thinking of someone like Stewart or Stanton. Leadership doesn't come from a UFA signing in the summer or a trade deadline move.

Posting fighting videos of a 4.5 M cap hit defenceman that can't defend is laughable. Sestito is way cheaper

Posting fighting videos of a 4.5 M cap hit defenceman that can't defend is laughable. Sestito is way cheaper

He hasn't been bad lately especially this year he was good with Sbisa and played well with Stanton on the 3rd pairing before Hamhuis got hurt. He's slowing down but I still think he's a good 3rd pairing guy.

Pedan says hi!! We will find out about his talent in a couple of years at highest level but ....he is already a very feared fighter

Bieksa's now sunk to the 210 worst D in the whole entire league (out of 262) with Hamuseless at 209 and Sbisa at 236. Do you think that D-core will take us to the promised land? Bieksa's on the fast track to Florida!

You mean Hamhuis? Arguably our most experienced and reliable defencemen. The gold medalist at Sochi right ? Bann yourself

You mean Hamhuis? Arguably our most experienced and reliable defencemen. The gold medalist at Sochi right ? Bann yourself

You can generally tell the intelligence of a persons argument when they have to come up with little nicknames.

RU serious is pretty notorious for being one of the worst judges of talent on the boards; especially when it comes to D.

Archived